Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2010, 02:57 AM   #21
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Must thank John Bozarth for mine. His idea, his chair, now our chair. Works great!

As far as sliding/moving around while under way, I jam some rugs and stuff under mine, it sits right by the stairs during travel. It might shift a tad on a bad rough travel day, but this shifting has never presented any problems. (Besides I need a place to stow those rugs during travel anyway, win/win.)

It sure is sweet when I want to sweep or something, John's chair came out of a Big Sky, it is quite heavy. Sure, I have thought a lighter chair would be nice, but, have yet to find one that Al likes. We have had problems for years finding a recliner that he likes and that is comfy for both of us. John's recliner works on those counts, so, it stays.

Those glides are great. Thanks John!!

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:53 AM   #22
JLBOZ60
Montana Master

M.O.C. #826
Glad that you are getting as much enjoyment out of our recliner as we did. As you know John put the gliders on both of our recliners before we started full timing in Sept. 2004.
It sure was a life saver and protected the carpet also. It was a big show and tell at the first rally in 2004.
JLBOZ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #23
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
I looked at OSH. The only screw on sliders I could find are 2" diameter Teflon slide guides. What are you using as carpet slides.
They also had 8 1/4 guides that just sit under the furniture, in this case the 2 ft diameter plywood. A picture would help. But don't want your DW hurting herself to turn the chairs over.

Thanks, Lou
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #24
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
I used the 8 1/4" sliders. I put 6 around the outside edge long ways. I secured them with 1 wood screw (1 1/4") in the middle of each end. I hope this helps. I have no clue how to add pictures, Sorry
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #25
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
We have one of each. I used Ozz's idea and put casters on the first chair. First time I bent over to tie my shoes it ejected me out on the floor. I have learned and it does not repeat quite as often. I then found a set of replacement feet for a washer or dryer. They had the teflon bottoms and a bolt on top. Drilled 4 holes in the round frame and bolted them on. Worked great.
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #26
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
I think I will try the 1st recliner with the round teflon screw on. If it is still difficult to move about I will go with Jwedell's 8 1/4 sliders. I will let the forum know which way I ended up with.

Thanks Lou
Old 04-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #27
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250

Just finished installing carpet sliders like Jwedell did. As a novice handyman I will tell you how I did it and what big mistake I made. Cost was approx $25 per recliner. OSH has precut 24" x 3/4 plywood circles. Used like Jwedell, 6ea 8 1/4 in.(slide glide furniture glides) also from OSH. Used 1/4-20 1 1/2 inch long bolts and nuts to fasten plywood to slider circular base. Used 1" wood screws to mount sliders to plywood. One screw at each end of slider. Removed circular base from recliner and assembled plywood and sliders. Went to mount back on recliner and there was not room to get tools or my hand underneath the recliner to fasten down bolts. After many *** words and skinned hands I managed to secure the base. 2nd recliner removed circular base, mounted plywood and sliders and then marked everything as to what went where. Disassembled and reinstalled circular base to recliner. As easy as taking it apart. Then mounted plywood and sliders back on to recliner base. D.W. can now slide the recliners with one hand. I recommend Jwedell's method to all who have difficultly moving the recliners. Thanks John. Have not sit in it yet to see if I go shooting across the carpet.... Don't think it will happen. Hope I did these picture correctly by Tiny Pics. May not be in right order. Picture one circular base from recliner with mounting holes drilled for 1/4-20 bolts. Picture 2 plywood mounted to base. Picture 3 plywood painted. Note counter bore holes for hex head bolts. Picture 4, 6 sliders mounted to plywood.

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/x413x3.jpg[/I
Old 04-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #28
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
What did I do wrong?.. No pictures just the tag.

Lou
Old 04-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #29
Montana_9856
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9856
It appears that the end of the IMG tag is missing. I can see the text
[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/x413x3.jpg[/I
which should be [IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/x413x3.jpg[/IMG]

If coded correctly, this image will appear.

The other pictures you loaded to tinypic will each have a similar code of [IMG]http://something[/IMG] that has to be entered.
Montana_9856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:09 AM   #30
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Thanks Craft-Guy. So I have to send each picture individually or can I seen as a group. I am going to the test topic and practice in there.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:32 AM   #31
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Think I have the picture thing down.

picture of base with holes drilled for plywood.
base marked to tell me how to mount on recliner.

plywood mounted to base.

plywood painted,note counter bore holes for bolts.

carpet sliders mounted to plywood. screws in each end.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #32
Les
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10211
Now that I have the pictures I have a new project. I think I might try gluing the sliders on so that I don't have the screw heads to deal with. Has anyone tried that?
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #33
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Les-- You beat me to posting the idea! I think I'll try and do the same with the glue. I've got some glue I purchased at THE RALLY down in GA two years ago and it seems to hold anything and everything! Guess we'll try it with a couple of clamps to hold it till it sets! IF it doesn't work I can always use the screws to hold the sliders on! Just another project to work on now that the weather has warmed up!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #34
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Les and Rondo, I also thought about glueing, however the slider is plastic and the rubber backing is approx 1/4 inch away from the plastic all the way around. So when you tighten up the screw, it pulls the plastic down to the plywood, so the screw will not be a problem. If you look at the slider picture closely, on some of the sliders you can see where it pulls down the plastic. Personally, I think the screws will secure the sliders better.

Lou
Old 04-05-2010, 06:55 AM   #35
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
Being too lazy or not as handy as the rest of you, I purchased 1" gliders and put them over each of the eight plastic "feet" on the base of each of the recliners. It seems to be a big improvement but can not move the chair with one hand. Also, removed the metal clips in the floor, which probably would have helped to begin with. Thanks, one idea always leads to another.
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:51 AM   #36
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
I have 2 suggestions. 1 If you glue the sliders down and want to replace one it may be a problem. I used phillips wood screws and sunk the heads below the surface of the sliders (they dimple in). 2 I used carriage bolts to secure the plywood. I secured them with the metal ring still on the recliner. Both recliners took about 15 minutes total.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:09 AM   #37
paperheart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7541
Love this idea, saving it, thanks, Janie
paperheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #38
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Just ran across this thread... what a great idea!! Thanks all!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:07 AM   #39
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Greetings, I saw the thread and had to respond to it as I think this is something that we all dred to have to do is move these heavy recliners. I was planning to do the same with plywood and sliders only while going through the plumbing dept. at Home Depot, stumbled upon polyethlyne drip pans used under hot water heaters. They are black and about 3" high. Bought two and put them under the chairs. The worked great except the rocking motion of the chair hit the pan. I removed them and cut them down to 1.25" and reinstalled them. What a difference in moving the chairs. To add to the "easyness" went down to a local metal shop and got two 40" pieces for 3/8" alumiminum rod, bent the ends (see pics), and then slid clear tubing over the ends. These rods make pulling out the charis much easier even with the sliders. My wife usually volunteers to move them now.

bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:37 AM   #40
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
bobsals, what a great idea! We see a trip to Home Depot in our future. Thanks for sharing.
Dick and Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote