Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Rotted out dining room slide!

Hey all. Just wanted to share our "rotten" experience with the rest of the forum.

Six days before we left MT for CA, we were moving the little Avanti freezer into the dining room slide. The table was screwed to the floor and had never been moved. Steve unscrewed it and pushed it to the other side. When he stepped into the left side outermost corner of the slide, he felt the floor give way. OUCH! We pulled back the carpet and saw their was just a little bit of discoloration on the back of it. Next, he pulled back all the other stuff and found that there was severe rot to the plywood floor. So we ended up having to replace the entire floor of the dining room slide. It was quite a chore, but we got it done. Steve detailed the repair in the thread "slide out floor," just a little while ago.
There was absolutely NO water damage visible to our camper. There was no outside wall damage. The walls inside were not bubbled or discolored. The window in the slide had not been leaking. The rot actually came from the bottom of the slide and moved up...the backside of the carpet was only a little discolored...and the top of the plywood didn't look too bad. But once Steve started digging it was just pure rot from the bottom and moving to the top of the floor.
We called our dealer in Tennessee, who is great, and we e-mailed him lots of pics. We together concluded that the small piece of trim to the bottom of the slides was the probable culprit and the source of the leak. The screws were indeed rusty and could have allowed water to seep in. After the water got in, it more or less would have just sat in there due to the tyvex/moisture barrier wrap.
We have since siliconed all seams of the slide and are in the process of removing all old silicone and replacing all old joints with new beads of caulk.

We could have taken the Monty to the dealer and have the work done (it is under warranty) but we just didn't have the time. Closest dealer was 2 hours away! Our Montana is a 2003 3655FL. It is in like new condition. Our dealer was absolutely shocked this had happened and said he'd never seen it before. Guess there is a first time for everything.

Just wanted to alert others.

We do have pics is anyone needs them. We stink at the tinypic thing.

Tara

Steve and Tara Krumm
2004 GMC 4X4 Duramax Allison
2003 Montana 3655 FL

txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Hate to hear your troubles, hopefully you got the leak fixed I know that has to be aggravating.

Broome101
2005 F350 PSD,SRW,CC,LB, King Ranch, 4x4
2005 3685FL
http://www.picturetrail.com/broome101

Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Thanks for the heads up, Sounds like Steve is a handy guy and in RV ownership that is a good thing
because an RV is a little bit like a boat. It takes a lot of work to keep it in great condition.
I'm glad you guys fixed the problem, Don.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:17 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's quite a chore you took on and completed successfully. I'm not sure I would have tackled that one myself. I'm sorry to hear about the problem but am glad you are good to go again and figured out the cause so you could stop it from happening again. Thanks for the report. I read the other thread with interest. I hope I never have to worry about that problem.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:55 PM   #5
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Sounds like I need to check mine out. The table in my trailer is screwed to the floor too, but the screws are loose and not grabbing much of any wood. I haven't pulled the scews yet, but once I forgot that the table was screwed to the floor and tried to move it. It was then that I found the screws were not holding much. All four screws lifted up with the table. Either the assembler used a power driver to drive the screws in, causing the screws to strip or I may have some rot going on too!

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look for your detailed repair thread and pics.

EagleRunner

Tom & Nancy
TV: 2005 Silverado HD-2500 Crew-cab Duramax/Allison
5er: 2005 2955RL
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote