Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2008, 03:04 AM   #1
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Differences in bed rail clearance 4x4 vs 4x2

Looking for a TV at this point, the new 3605RL should be ready in about 3 weeks.

I feel that I need a 4x4, as we like to boondock, and currently take our 24' TT into spots that most others would not.

At any rate, currently looking at an '07 Dodge 3500 (SRW longbed) 5.9L 4x4, and the bed rails appear to be about 4-5 inches higher than the 2x4 version of the same truck. I am concerned about the difference in clearance, because we will most likely be jockeying around on uneven ground to get to some of our favorite camping areas.

For those of you hauling with a late model Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4, how much bed rail clearance do you have while still maintaining a level 5er? Can the MorRyde suspension be lifted without it being a huge ordeal of hacking, welding, and voiding the warranty? I just don't want to be in the position of running around with 4-5" of clearance, worrying fulltime about the truck and 5er coming into contact in regular driving around.

I understand the necessity of being extra vigilant while maneuvering in unusual conditions. I also find it a bit ironic that the truck that would allow you to do so may also reduce the clearance that you need to get the job done. I imagine that the front landing gear and rear overhang will have a limiting effect on our choice of spots as well.

Thanks!

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KTManiac

Looking for a TV at this point, the new 3605RL should be ready in about 3 weeks.

I feel that I need a 4x4, as we like to boondock, and currently take our 24' TT into spots that most others would not. You will find the weight of the 5th may prevent you from going through some spot (soft ground).

At any rate, currently looking at an '07 Dodge 3500 (SRW longbed) 5.9L 4x4, and the bed rails appear to be about 4-5 inches higher than the 2x4 version of the same truck. I am concerned about the difference in clearance, because we will most likely be jockeying around on uneven ground to get to some of our favorite camping areas.
If you follow the two fist rule about 6 to 8 inches of clearance you should be fine. You may find you tow nose high.

For those of you hauling with a late model Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4, how much bed rail clearance do you have while still maintaining a level 5er? My 03 4x4 forces me to be nose high so the trailer is not level. Can the MorRyde suspension be lifted without it being a huge ordeal of hacking, welding, and voiding the warranty? I just don't want to be in the position of running around with 4-5" of clearance, worrying fulltime about the truck and 5er coming into contact in regular driving around.

I understand the necessity of being extra vigilant while maneuvering in unusual conditions. I also find it a bit ironic that the truck that would allow you to do so may also reduce the clearance that you need to get the job done. I imagine that the front landing gear and rear overhang will have a limiting effect on our choice of spots as well.

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum and great questions.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have an '07 Dodge Ram 3500 single rear wheel 4x4 and a 2007 3400RL. Our previous hitch was a Reese with slider. We had 7 1/2 inches clearance. Our current hitch is a pullrite superglide. I was not satisified with the clearance when this hitch was initially installed so we (hitch dealer and me) moved the pinbox up one set of holes. We now have 8 inches clearance over the rear corner of the bedrails.

on edit -- we moved the pinbox down, not up.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Thanks for the reassuring info, guys!

I just brought home my "new to me" workhorse.
'07 Dodge 3500 SLT, 5.9L diesel, SRW, 6-speed manual, manual transfer case 4x4, quad cab, long bed. Unfortunately, I could not find a Laramie in the configuration that I wanted, but hey, the SLT will work just fine!

The "lie-o-meter" said 21 mpg while hauling a full load of post-holes on the way home, but I'll believe that when I get a few hand calculated averages under my belt.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
KTManiac, I don't know how accurate yours is but I measured mine over three full tanks and found the computer optimistic by just 1/10 mpg. We regularly get 19 to over 21 at highway speeds when not towing. My towing mileage is not as good as I'd like. If I hold it to 60, we'll get 11.0 to 12.0 with most of the time being in the lower half of that range. If I bump speed up to 64 or 65, towing mileage drops to 10.5 to around 11.2. I understand the 5.9 does a bit better on mpg than my 6.7. By solo highway speeds I mean 65 to 70. If I run over 70 the mileage drops to maybe 18 to 19.

Congratulations on the new truck. I'm sure happy with ours although we've only put 41,000 on it in just under 17 months.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
That is why I chose the manual trans. The torque converter on the automatics slips away some of your fuel mileage. I guess that you can use a tuner to firm up the shifting to get some of that back, from what I hear. I don't know much about that though. I hope to get around 14mpg while towing, but we shall see how that pans out.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Probably true, KTM, but that new six speed automatic in the Dodge is an awesome transmission. Best I've ever towed with. But I've not towed with standards in many, many years. The shifts are firm but not harsh and tow/haul firms them even more. Again, not harsh. But I doubt it will match the mileage of a standard. No automatic can, as far as I know. At least not conservatively driven. Good luck with the new setup.