Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2024, 09:44 PM   #1
showme
Established Member

M.O.C. #22658
2000 Montana scare lights- where's the switch??

I just replaced the two 8" lights on the nose of our 36' 5th wheel. The old ones were black from inner mold, had cracked lenses, and were pretty rough looking. We had never even attempted to use the old ones. We have it sitting on some property we're going to build on and use it mainly for a 'break trailer' and tool storage. When I got them installed, I started looking for the switch, but I can't find it anywhere. I've tried every switch in the trailer, AC and DC both. Does anyone know where I might look for that? There is no 'control center' on this rig, just unmarked switches. The slides are marked, but that's it. Thanks for any help on this. I'm stumped. Lee

Old 06-23-2024, 10:46 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
IT has been a long time, and my rig was a little newer with a different floorplan. But I seem to recall a panel of three switches near the door. One of them was the porch light, one was for the scare lights (both on one switch) and i don't remember the purpose of the third (lights over the rear cabinets?).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 02:23 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Like Carl, my 2007 had that same 3 switch panel although seems like mine was labeled Flood rather than Scare. But I also canít remember what the 3rd switch was for. But if you have that same or similar panel I would guess one of the switches is for your new lights. Itís possible you might have a blown 12 volt fuse. Does one of your switches turn on the porch light (light outside your door)?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 09:02 PM   #4
showme
Established Member

M.O.C. #22658
Thanks for those replies, folks. What ours has are four (?) switches next to the stairs to the bedroom. Only one switch is actually marked, and that controls the slide outs. And I'm thinking two of them are for a dc overhead light in the kitchen and one I'm not sure about. Maybe that's it. I checked all the fuses not too long ago, but who knows? Maybe I touched the wires when I was wiring up the new light. I know the wire inside the wall- after I cut a gigantic hole in it- looked fine. I thought at first that those were AC lights, but it seems I've read that they're DC. If I'd known it wasn't going to work, I would have ohmed out the wires and switches and tracked it down, but now that it's in and sealed with butyl caulk tape, I don't want to open it up again unless I have to. I'll have to check per the porch light. I replaced it when we bought this rig 5 years ago, and we had it gone over by a local rv sales shop and it got a thumbs up. But the owners retired and moved, so there's nobody there to ask about what was found. But I'm pretty sure the porch/door light was working. Since we're not living down there yet, we're usually only there during the day. I stayed the weekend one time when my wife had an old friend of hers come and visit us. That was a weird one. A tornado came within a mile of our 43 acres and destroyed everything in its path. Anyway, I was down there today but I was putting new parking brakes on our side by side and some other chores. I intended to give the 5th wheel it's spring exterior cleaning and start trouble shooting the light, but the sun started setting before I got to it. Even though we've got our PV system up and running, we have the well running on it's own set of solar panels till we get the house built, so we have great water and psi until the trees start blocking the sun in the west. But I will check fuses (again) and see if I can trace those switches to find out exactly where they lead. Thanks again, all. I really appreciate your help. Lee
Old 06-23-2024, 11:00 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Can you post a picture of the switched (and a pic of their location) so maybe we can guess better about what is what?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 05:04 AM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
My 2006 had 3 switches. One switch was porch light, one switch was flood (2 scare lights) third switch was for ceiling lights in living room/kitchen.
Old 06-24-2024, 07:12 AM   #7
showme
Established Member

M.O.C. #22658
Carl- I wish I would have thought of taking a picture yesterday when I was down there! It crossed my mind when I was working on the ranger, but I forgot. When I'm at the property (30 miles from where we live), my mind bounces from whatever I'm working on to "ok, what needs done next?", and then I'm on to that. But I will get a pic today and post it this evening. I'm a believer in 'a picture's worth a thousand words'.

jimcol- That may be what I'm looking at. It just occurred to me that I didn't even think about checking the porch light when i was trying those switches, even though I did stick my head out of the door to check the scare light. Plus, now I'm wondering if the light just didn't show up from the light of day. The sun was pretty bright, along with the 95* weather, and I was squinting every time I walked out of the trailer. But I did NOT check the door light. My mistake. But I will and will get back to you.

I failed to mention that I installed the first of the scare lights last spring, and the second one just a few days ago. Something that was really disappointing is that the lights are 'surface mount' lights, meaning the light is mounted on the surface of the fiberglass outer wall, with only a small hole for the wiring to pass through. I ordered the same light from Amazon for the second one, but it's recessed 5/8" on the back of the light with only the stainless trim sitting flush on the surface. I had to cut a 7" hole into the fiberglass to mount it. I could have waited, but I wanted to get it done. And since the 5th wheel is not exactly a beauty queen (not bad, but nothing fancy), I went ahead and did the job and sealed it tightly. I sure hope I get it working after I cut a hole in the siding to mount it. I believe it will be fine, though.
Old 06-30-2024, 01:41 PM   #8
Dee_Dub
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24453
Remote Switch

Our Security lights can be controlled by a switch near the door and a remote device. If the remote is used, then the switch near the door will not work. Do you also have a remote?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Switches.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	17436  
Old 06-30-2024, 03:16 PM   #9
showme
Established Member

M.O.C. #22658
I think I've got it figured out after reading jimcol's reply. Went back down and checked the 4 switch group between the entry door and the steps to the bedroom, and one of the lower switches does turn on the scare lights. Not sure why I didn't see it the other day. I'm guessing the other mystery switch is for the porch light, but it must need a new bulb. I installed a new complete light 5 years ago when we bought the 5th wheel, but it's not lighting up now. The other two switches are for the overhead light and fan in the kitchen/living area which is AC, and the DC overhead light at the top of the stairs. Then there's the marked slide out switch. With my memory, I think I need to have my wife get her label maker out and get these tagged before I forget again. Thanks very much to all for your help! If I can remember, I'll get a pic of what I've been looking at and post it. Thanks everybody! Lee