Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2022, 03:25 PM   #1
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
My Rainier and Tire Minder experience

I bought my 353RL new in 2017 with Rainier load range E tires. After 5 1/2 years and ~8500 miles of trouble free service, I'm replacing them with Sailun S637T's I ordered from simple tire yesterday for $180/tire. Rainiers (4) are rated for 14,100 lbs. Trailer GVWR is 14,300 lbs. Sailuns will handle 16,300 lbs. I've heard it said, and I strongly agree, good service gives good performance. From day 1 tires were balanced new, speed kept 60-65 mph, covered from elements, TPMS installed, pressure maintained via load chart after weighing trailer, and now, replacing them due to age although tires look great, no defects, never had a flat or leaker, and still good tread. I know some have had trouble with all brands of tires, this post is to show that with proper care and maintenance, marginal tires can give good service. That said, I've only put 8500 miles on them in 5 1/2 years, 3K of that on 1 trip in 2019. Rainiers are not the tire I would have chosen when buying tires, but that's what came new, and I'm not full timing and expecting to get 20K miles + before the Rainiers aged out. I've always been a Goodyear fan, but at $500/tire, vs Sailun S637T @180/tire, and all the good reports on Sailuns here, I'm giving them a try.
Also been using Tire Minder TPMS (non flow thru) since 2015. 1 sensor has died / destroys batteries. Even with a signal booster we sometimes (too often for us) find the system not updating. System may also go 30 mins before recognizing a no signal condition (confirmed normal per Tire Minder). Since most of our trips are in state, <250 miles round trip, and 6-12 weeks apart, I've been removing the sensor batteries while the trailer is parked at home to save battery life. The sensor cap easily unscrews allowing me to remove the battery without removing the sensor from the valve stem, it has not been a real issue to remove the sensors just prior to a trip, add air (usually <5 psi required) reinstall the battery, then reinstall/relearn each sensor to its respective wheel.
I have now decided to buy TST 507 4 sensor system with signal booster and cant decide on flow thru, or traditional sensors. I don't want the type mounted inside the wheel. Both the flow thru and traditional sensors require removing the sensor from the valve stem, then using a screw driver to remove/install new batteries, so my routine will need to change with the new system. I've read that some experienced slow fill rates with the flow thru sensors, but I doubt it would add more time than removing the sensor, adding air, then reinstalling/relearning the sensor? So here is a question...of those of you who have the TST 507 system, and don't remove your sensor batteries until they need replaced, how long are your sensor batteries lasting? If you chose not to get the flow thru type, what was your reason?

Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 03:44 PM   #2
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
I installed the TST 507 10 sensor system in July and have the flow through sensors. Have had absolutely no problems with any aspect of the system. I do think adding air to a tire is a little slower with the sensor on the tire but my alternative is not acceptable. Completely pleased with the system.
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 04:32 PM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have the removable TST's. I think mine lasted about 4 years or longer. I do remove them and keep them inside for 9 months a year, so that may help.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 04:58 PM   #4
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint Venture II View Post
I installed the TST 507 10 sensor system in July and have the flow through sensors. Have had absolutely no problems with any aspect of the system. I do think adding air to a tire is a little slower with the sensor on the tire but my alternative is not acceptable. Completely pleased with the system.
Do you leave the batteries installed in the sensors all the time? If so how long do they last?
Old 11-05-2022, 06:14 PM   #5
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Mine are the not the flow thru type. They have been on the trailer since we bought it, 15 months. I leave them on all the time, we go south in the winter so no real storage season. I’ve been happy with them. I didn’t get the flow thru because they were not recommended strongly over the non flow thru here or on other forums. I’ve only had to adjust tire pressure twice in that time so no big deal.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 07:57 PM   #6
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Our 331RL came with G rated Rainiers, 110 psi wheels and metal valve stems. I went with the flow through sensors and have been quite happy. Forgot to turn the repeater on one trip and never new I had done so until we were setting up and I went to turn off the power to the repeater. The sensors never once lost connectivity to the display. Impressive.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 01:09 AM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I have had the TST non flow through sensors for several years. The sensors only use battery power when they are screwed on to a tire. If you know you're not going to be traveling for a few months, simply label them with a marker, remove them, and put them in a drawer. My batteries last a couple of years that way. Once your monitor learns the sensors, should you remove one, simply put it back on the same tire and there is no relearning process required.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:58 AM   #8
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I also have the non flow through sensors, including the truck and spares, 10 sensors total. We use the rig year round, but are not full time. Batteries seem to last 1.5 to 2 years that way. In 3 years, I've only replaced batteries once.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:01 AM   #9
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny and Angie Miller View Post
I bought my 353RL new in 2017 with Rainier load range E tires. After 5 1/2 years and ~8500 miles of trouble free service, I'm replacing them with Sailun S637T's I ordered from simple tire yesterday for $180/tire. Rainiers (4) are rated for 14,100 lbs. Trailer GVWR is 14,300 lbs. Sailuns will handle 16,300 lbs. I've heard it said, and I strongly agree, good service gives good performance. From day 1 tires were balanced new, speed kept 60-65 mph, covered from elements, TPMS installed, pressure maintained via load chart after weighing trailer, and now, replacing them due to age although tires look great, no defects, never had a flat or leaker, and still good tread. I know some have had trouble with all brands of tires, this post is to show that with proper care and maintenance, marginal tires can give good service. That said, I've only put 8500 miles on them in 5 1/2 years, 3K of that on 1 trip in 2019. Rainiers are not the tire I would have chosen when buying tires, but that's what came new, and I'm not full timing and expecting to get 20K miles + before the Rainiers aged out. I've always been a Goodyear fan, but at $500/tire, vs Sailun S637T @180/tire, and all the good reports on Sailuns here, I'm giving them a try.
Also been using Tire Minder TPMS (non flow thru) since 2015. 1 sensor has died / destroys batteries. Even with a signal booster we sometimes (too often for us) find the system not updating. System may also go 30 mins before recognizing a no signal condition (confirmed normal per Tire Minder). Since most of our trips are in state, <250 miles round trip, and 6-12 weeks apart, I've been removing the sensor batteries while the trailer is parked at home to save battery life. The sensor cap easily unscrews allowing me to remove the battery without removing the sensor from the valve stem, it has not been a real issue to remove the sensors just prior to a trip, add air (usually <5 psi required) reinstall the battery, then reinstall/relearn each sensor to its respective wheel.
I have now decided to buy TST 507 4 sensor system with signal booster and cant decide on flow thru, or traditional sensors. I don't want the type mounted inside the wheel. Both the flow thru and traditional sensors require removing the sensor from the valve stem, then using a screw driver to remove/install new batteries, so my routine will need to change with the new system. I've read that some experienced slow fill rates with the flow thru sensors, but I doubt it would add more time than removing the sensor, adding air, then reinstalling/relearning the sensor? So here is a question...of those of you who have the TST 507 system, and don't remove your sensor batteries until they need replaced, how long are your sensor batteries lasting? If you chose not to get the flow thru type, what was your reason?
The selection of Original Equipment tires for your trailer differs significantly with selections for automotive mounted OE tires. OE tires for your trailer were selected by its manufacturer to support the vehicle certified GAWRs.

For your year model, Keystone would/should have added an extra 10% of tire load capacity reserves to provide a load capacity to make RVIA happy.

Keep in mind that the published tongue weight is for certification purposes only. After vehicle first sale the consumer is 100% responsible for tongue weights.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 06:31 AM   #10
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
The selection of Original Equipment tires for your trailer differs significantly with selections for automotive mounted OE tires. OE tires for your trailer were selected by its manufacturer to support the vehicle certified GAWRs.
Yes, I understand that. Pin weight aside, my suspension is most limited by my axles 12,000 lbs ((2) @ 6k each), then GVWR @ 14,300 lbs, then rims @ 15000 lbs ((4) @ 3750 each), then the tires @ 16,300 lbs. I may have over done it with the tires, but as the only component in that list that is expected to wear out / be replaced during the life of the trailer, I want a little piece of mind. Now I'm wondering if I should add IS, or axle manufacturer offers a kit adding shocks to the suspension. We are likely getting Trailair pinbox this winter.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:38 AM   #11
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
The sensors only use battery power when they are screwed on to a tire. If you know you're not going to be traveling for a few months, simply label them with a marker, remove them, and put them in a drawer. My batteries last a couple of years that way. Once your monitor learns the sensors, should you remove one, simply put it back on the same tire and there is no relearning process required.
I didn't know they worked that way, I assumed the sensors would be screaming blow out! until the battery went dead, which is why I had been removing the batteries in my old TPMS
Old 11-06-2022, 07:09 AM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
If you remove a sensor while the monitor is on ... it will chirp. We only use the TST sensors on our fiver and/or boat trailer when we double tow ... I don't turn the monitor on unless we're hitting the road. If you do leave the monitor on for some reason ... just turn it off for a few seconds and then back on ... it just won't pick up the sensors you've removed ... thus no chirp.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:30 AM   #13
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
On a related note to this thread ... there's been scads of lively discussions about tires, weights, and axles over my many years on the MOC. You'll find a good majority of dedicated responses are from full to long timers here. They travel with near everything they own and do weigh in at or are a tad over max GAWR or GVWR ... however there are several of us that post or lurk on any RV website that are not full or long timers and upon weighing our fivers, find we do not travel anywhere near max GAWR or GVWR. Weigh your fiver loaded to average travel, inflate to a tire load chart, don't fret about the word "MAX". The IS is a good system as are other suspension mods, but expensive. Take a good look at how you RV ... if you only tow 1500 miles a year ... do you really need the upgrade?? Again ... don't fret about the word "MAX" unless it applies to you.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:57 AM   #14
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
On a related note to this thread ... there's been scads of lively discussions about tires, weights, and axles over my many years on the MOC. You'll find a good majority of dedicated responses are from full to long timers here. They travel with near everything they own and do weigh in at or are a tad over max GAWR or GVWR ... however there are several of us that post or lurk on any RV website that are not full or long timers and upon weighing our fivers, find we do not travel anywhere near max GAWR or GVWR. Weigh your fiver loaded to average travel, inflate to a tire load chart, don't fret about the word "MAX". The IS is a good system as are other suspension mods, but expensive. Take a good look at how you RV ... if you only tow 1500 miles a year ... do you really need the upgrade?? Again ... don't fret about the word "MAX" unless it applies to you.
I'm anal about maintenance ("good service gives good performance") and probably do alot more than is required just for my own piece of mind...like rotating my trailer tires every winter...driver side of trailer has a huge slide with res fridge, pantry that has alot of canned goods, water, soda plus entertainment center...other side has kit table w/2 chairs and a pos RV love seat...1 side is alot heavier than the other, so I rotate for piece of mind...do I have to? No. But I'm able, and have the tools/knowledge to do just about anything for repairs myself at home except structural welding (but I have a good grinder) Going from 10 to 14 ply tires is going to affect ride quality (yes, I know use load chart to determine tire pressure) but I dont know how much. Being a lighter HC model is going to amplify that I think. I doubt very much I would pull the trigger on IS & disc brakes on this model, but the shock absorber kit looks promising, and would help jarring on the trailer, and yes, provide some piece of mind. The trailair pinbox was a decision we have already made.
Old 11-06-2022, 11:04 AM   #15
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I, like others, wonder about rough ride, etc in the rigs. How do any of you even know how it rides? I know the back wall, which has small wall hangings, definitely gets a whip action because the hangings end up on the floor about half the time. But shocks, etc wouldn't help that since it is probably mostly caused by the hitch bouncing, and causing the rear end to whip up/down.
So how do we know about ride?
Oh, by the way, I took off one day with a half glass of drink on the counter and it was still there when we stopped for the day!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 12:02 PM   #16
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
I, like others, wonder about rough ride, etc in the rigs. How do any of you even know how it rides?
Exactly...the only way to know for sure is to ride back there, which is illegal to my understanding. I'm more concerned about damage due to prolonged rough ride, but I'll never really know for sure...so I'm back to the piece of mind aspect.
Old 11-06-2022, 12:05 PM   #17
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny and Angie Miller View Post
I'm anal about maintenance ("good service gives good performance") I doubt very much I would pull the trigger on IS & disc brakes on this model, but the shock absorber kit looks promising, and would help jarring on the trailer, and yes, provide some piece of mind. The trailair pinbox was a decision we have already made.
Why no disc brakes? I think if someone is going to keep a trailer more than a year or two and they are pulling more than a couple thousand miles annually, the brakes are the best upgrade you can do. The difference is amazing and the maintenance advantage alone is almost worth it. It sounds like you could do the install yourself to make it even more advantageous.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 12:32 PM   #18
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandK View Post
Why no disc brakes? It sounds like you could do the install yourself to make it even more advantageous.
Yes, I could. Disc brakes would happen long before IS, but my trailer is light (compared to others), and I'm averaging <1500 miles/year..in fact most years are ~750 miles or less...(3 or 4 trips/year @ ~200 miles/trip). 2 trips alone added 4400 miles to my 8500 mile total on this trailer thus far. Round trip from Missouri to Yellowstone, and another Missouri to Wisconsin and back. Right now disc brakes just aren't as important to me. We both retire in ~ 3 yrs...if we travel alot more, then I will likely get disc brakes. Additionally, we may get a different trailer before we retire...likely would be a ~$120K purchase...that one will definitely have IS/disc, if we trade up.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:13 PM   #19
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Disc brakes are on my priority agenda for after the 1st of the year. Our MHC might not be as heavy as a full Montana, but that doesn't mean some (&*&^^%*! wont pull right out in front of me. For me it is all about pucker factor.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 01:57 PM   #20
VagabondLove
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27665
My TST was installed in March 2021, and still are on the original batteries…
FlexArmor roof 2021, Starlink
VagabondLove is offline   Reply With Quote