Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2021, 09:39 AM   #1
T0DD
Established Member

M.O.C. #27652
2021 - KeyTV - Satellite, Any success stories?

I feel like I've been researching for months about adding satellite TV to my 2021 Montana 3120RL Legacy. Everything I seem to read only talks of the horror stories of trying to roof mount a satellite and actually run it through the KeyTV system. I keep reading that you have to run, essentially, a home run line and bypass the KeyTV system all together.

With that said, I wanted to ask, has anyone successfully installed a roof mounted satellite dish, run it through your winegard 360+, through the KeyTV system and had no issues? What components did you use? I'd love to install a satellite on my roof and use the prep exactly as it's designed.

I only want to add 1 receiver in my living room area, so overall a basic install. But again, all I keep reading is how no one has success, so hoping someone can shed some light on a successful set up.

Thank you!

T0DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:20 AM   #2
Mlemke72@gmail.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #28924
Todd; We too were having problems trying to get our Wally and portable dish to work. I spoke with a factory rep and was told to check every connection to make sure they were tight. Every connection within the Montana system was loose. I took apart each outlet and tighten each connection, including the KeyTV box. Then hooked up the Wally and dish using only a 25' cable to the satellite in port on the KeyTV and, as long as the dish was in the proper location(receiving a signal) everything worked as it should. I was pleasantly surprised.
I would say if you don't feel comfortable taking your trailer apart, I'd take it back to the dealer in order to have the work done.
Hope this helps.
Mlemke72@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:30 AM   #3
T0DD
Established Member

M.O.C. #27652
I would have no problem taking it apart at all. In the year, I've owned it, I've had a multitude of problems and feel very intimately connected to the inner workings at this point. ;-)

On the Winegard 360+ on the roof, it has a satellite input port. In theory, you'd use a short cable to connect your roof mounted Satellite dish to the port on the Winegard 360+. That cable runs from there, down to the KeyTV and from there to the ports in the trailer. This is how I want to run it, just as it's designed. But honestly, if you review the various threads on this forum about satellite and KeyTV, I don't recall ever seeing anyone who said it worked perfectly for them.

I want to purchase a satellite and a receiver, I just want to find someone with a similar set up to me that can "Yes, this particular set up worked perfectly". Then I can purchase with confidence. I don't want to get something and then find out that I need to run my own cable to my entertainment center area, which is in my slide out.

What satellite/receiver did you go with? And thank you for the tips about checking all the connections. I will double check all those connections once I purchase an install. It's probably time consuming in the factory to spend the time actually tightening the cables all the way down so it probably gets overlooked, like a bunch of things on my 5'er.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:49 AM   #4
Mlemke72@gmail.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #28924
I'm pretty sure the connection from the Winegard 360, is only a cable that exits below the KeyTV box. I think theres a little blue plug below that you open in order to find the cable. This has to be pulled out of the paneling and be connected to the KeyTV Satellite in port in order to make the system work. That is if you were to mount a Dish on your roof.
We just bought a basic Dish TV Wally and Playmaker portable dish. Most of the parks around here are heavily wooded, so reception isn't very good. This seems to work for us when we use it.
We did add the router and sim card to the Winegard 360 for Internet service and the seems to work well while traveling. As long as you have a good cell signal. It also allows us to stream NetFlix at times.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:54 AM   #5
T0DD
Established Member

M.O.C. #27652
Yes, I have the blue cable that comes down from the Winegard 360+, that just screws into the satellite port on the KeyTV.

Not to take this of topic, but if you don't mind me asking, who do you get your cellular service through for your internet? I also purchased the Winegard GW-1000 and installed it, I use it to grab WIFI at this point and rebroadcast it. I looked at Verizon, but it was expensive and you had to keep it running for 9 months a year. Interested to know who you went with and approximately what it costs you?
Old 12-12-2021, 11:03 AM   #6
Mlemke72@gmail.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #28924
I'm using Verizon through our business account. We pay an extra $20.00/month to dovetail it on our Cellular bill. I am able to shut it off when not using.
Old 12-19-2021, 01:48 PM   #7
Kcuddeback
Established Member

M.O.C. #26685
We have the same trailer installed the DishTV with a King Tailgate antenna with roof mount. Connected through 360 (make sure to put a termination connector on unused plug) and if you have any solar panels route coax around and not under (too much RF noise). Works fine. If I park under trees I just remove dish from mounting bracket and connect a long coax on same connector to wherever I relocate dish. Again everything works as advertised.
2019 F-450 DRW, Limited, 6.7L Diesel
Kcuddeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 02:41 PM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Two things that will impact your ability to use KeyTV for satellite. I believe you will have better luck with Dish than DirecTV. It seems to take less signal. The second thing is your choice of satellite dish. We had no problem with the Travl’r, but the portables just don’t have the signal strength. The only way we were able to get our G2 was wired direct to the power inserter (we have DirecTV). Our dealer tried running it through our 360+ and down without luck. They bypassed the KeyTV and still didn’t work. So, next we ran direct to the wire they installed with a female/female connector and it still didn’t work. So, we ran direct line from the roof and it did fine. Many people are blaming KeyTV. I believe the design of the portable dishes just don’t provide a strong enough signal. I do believe you have a better shot with Dish, but it’s still a crap shoot. Just my experience.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 04:38 PM   #9
ACKLM8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25709
We have Dish Tailgater and Wally and have been quite successful hooking up via KeyTV. Only difference is that our Winegard dome does not have the roof connection, which, in my mind, should not be significant in that it would only add a nominal amount of cable run. I would add that I have appreciated the flexibility of not mounting on the roof due to the variability of camp site conditions and satellite visibility.
ACKLM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 07:56 PM   #10
T0DD
Established Member

M.O.C. #27652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcuddeback View Post
We have the same trailer installed the DishTV with a King Tailgate antenna with roof mount. Connected through 360 (make sure to put a termination connector on unused plug) and if you have any solar panels route coax around and not under (too much RF noise). Works fine. If I park under trees I just remove dish from mounting bracket and connect a long coax on same connector to wherever I relocate dish. Again everything works as advertised.
Thank you for this information. I don't want to purchase a satellite and receiver if it's not going to work on the roof (or have that option as you described).

I appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

-Todd
Old 12-22-2021, 06:45 AM   #11
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Todd, if you install your dish on the roof, before you make any final connections, check your signal. Just be prepared to run direct to your receiver. If you run into issues and call Winegard, the very first question (after they ask if there are any obstructions) is if you have your cable running directly from the dome to the receiver/power inserter. We have ours on the roof and love it. It eliminates two issues for us. First is storage. With our Super Solar we lost a significant amount of basement space, so storage is important. Second, I like watching TV in the evening and the convenience when it’s precipitating and cold of not having to be out in the elements is great. We can be inside relaxing within ten minutes of hitting our campsite. But everyone has different wants, needs and requirements. Our camping is usually in wide open spaces and very rarely do we camp where we’re under trees. I also (because of our issues trying to get DirecTV to work with the dome) bought a tripod system. So, I have the convenience of roof or off camper use of the satellite. And that stores under the bed. Good luck on getting set up.
Old 12-22-2021, 08:38 AM   #12
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
Todd, if you install your dish on the roof, before you make any final connections, check your signal. Just be prepared to run direct to your receiver. If you run into issues and call Winegard, the very first question (after they ask if there are any obstructions) is if you have your cable running directly from the dome to the receiver/power inserter. We have ours on the roof and love it. It eliminates two issues for us. First is storage. With our Super Solar we lost a significant amount of basement space, so storage is important. Second, I like watching TV in the evening and the convenience when it’s precipitating and cold of not having to be out in the elements is great. We can be inside relaxing within ten minutes of hitting our campsite. But everyone has different wants, needs and requirements. Our camping is usually in wide open spaces and very rarely do we camp where we’re under trees. I also (because of our issues trying to get DirecTV to work with the dome) bought a tripod system. So, I have the convenience of roof or off camper use of the satellite. And that stores under the bed. Good luck on getting set up.
Ive been running the DTV HR2400 HD receiver with the Non HD portable Kingquest antenna .. has worked great for 8 years but wanting to upgrade antenna to HD abilities and see you are using the Tripod setup..

If you have the time I would be interested in knowing what tripod setup your are using .. did you buy a package kit? If so which one? Also how do you usually anchor the tripod and how long to aim the dish?

Thanks..
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:45 AM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
....If you have the time I would be interested in knowing what tripod setup your are using .. did you buy a package kit? If so which one? Also how do you usually anchor the tripod and how long to aim the dish?.....

Thanks..
I am not Ron but I have been using DTV in HD mode for over 10 years on my RV. I started with, and still have, a tripod from TV4RV that is excellent, and the antenna was surplus from someone who switched to Dish. I later bought another antenna assembly form Solid Signal (also great to work with). I know have a RF Mogul auto antenna on the roof but trees have cause me to drag out the out tripod a couple of times a year.

The TV4RV kit comes with an auger you can screw into the ground and then bungee to the mast of the tripod. That wound up being hard to use in some places, so now I just fill a 5 gal. bucket 1/2 full of water and hang it from the mast. Works fine. If you are really paranoid about the wind, I have used camp stakes through the foot of each tripod leg to really nail it down.

Aiming is not difficult but it takes some practice. You must have the tripod level and the marker on the TV4RV tripod pointed close to the direction of the satellite (azimuth) using a compass. Be sure the you have the Elevation and Skew set properly for your location. I use an Satlook Lite meter to fine tune the signal but others have successfully used the old "screamer" meter. I can assemble the pieces, aim and lock on to the satellites in under 15 min. Of course I prefer pushing one button and letting the RF Mogul do all the work for me.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 12:24 PM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Here is a link to one similar to my kit. https://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-Compl...200791&sr=8-13 Mine was from Satellite Oasis. Helpful hint - mount tripod to plywood then use two ratchet straps between tent stakes and you don’t have to worry about it moving.
Old 12-22-2021, 02:06 PM   #15
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
I have also been using Dish or Direct TV for over ten years in my rv and started out trying to find the satellites with a signal strength meter, what a joke that was. The best thing I have ever used to find satellites with is a app for smart phone called dish for my rv or SA toolz direct tv. I hold my phone up toward the south and it shows me exactly where the satellites are at. perfect for recieving signal through trees lining up a starting point for maxing out your signal for reception. After I get my dish set up leveled and correct # for location, it takes me about ten minutes to max signal strength. I think back spending hours trying to get a signal and getting PO and giving up. When I got the app it was a one time fee of 5$. Only thing any better is a automatic full size dish.I have used the King dome and they work good but its such a small dish I would loose signal really easy in the rain.
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 06:24 PM   #16
T0DD
Established Member

M.O.C. #27652
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
Yeah, this is my concern and that's why I started this post. They have it set up to perform a certain way, to connect directly into the 360+, down to the KeyTV and then to the outlets. That is how I want to do it, but again, I don't want to have to run a straight wire to the receiver, as I don't want to try to figure out how to route a wire through the roof and to my receiver since the receiver would be in the slide.

Still debating on pulling the trigger on this, but I appreciate the information everyone is providing. :-)
Old 12-22-2021, 08:12 PM   #17
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
I run my cable from the dish LNB direct to the Key tv box screw it to the satellite connect connection from there it goes to the receiver box from box to tv with HDMI cable works perfect. IF something wrong with Key tv box you can remove it and unscrew cable from back off satellite connect and tie your dish LNB cable to cable going to receiver with a barrel connector. If I recall there are four different cables connected to the back of Key tv box all different colors going to different places in the camper. Just check color find it at the tv.
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 08:25 PM   #18
T0DD
Established Member

M.O.C. #27652
Upon purchasing (through DISH), once it's connected and I want to test, is it possible to test without paying for the 1st month of service. Basically test connectivity and what not through the receiver menu or something to that effect?

I won't actually go camping until the spring, but I'm looking to do this during the off months as a project.
Old 12-24-2021, 09:34 AM   #19
BobStack
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25753
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0DD View Post
Yes, I have the blue cable that comes down from the Winegard 360+, that just screws into the satellite port on the KeyTV.

Not to take this of topic, but if you don't mind me asking, who do you get your cellular service through for your internet? I also purchased the Winegard GW-1000 and installed it, I use it to grab WIFI at this point and rebroadcast it. I looked at Verizon, but it was expensive and you had to keep it running for 9 months a year. Interested to know who you went with and approximately what it costs you?
I use MOFI ($110 a month) for cellular internet with a twin booster antenna on the roof. I get internet no matter how far the tower is away and run all three of my TV’s with fire sticks and Philo TV ($20 a month) for all the channels you could want. Works awesome!!
BobStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:42 PM   #20
Rogdeb
Established Member

M.O.C. #29086
Todd:
We have a 2021 3818MS are running a DishTV Playmaker w/a Wally receiver.
After several attempts to run through the factory KeyTV system and being unsuccessful, we followed Winegard's suggestion and run the 25' foot coax cable that came with the antenna through the side back window and hook direct to the Wally.

NO signal issues at all. We even bought a Winegard signal inserter, ran the coax through the KeyTV system and still had intermittent signal issues. Guessing from reading the other posts in this thread we probably have several loose connections in the KeyTV system. But I am not going to tear my less than 1 year old RV apart to check something that should of been checked at the factory.

Just my 2 cents. IF I roof mount I will take it back to my dealer and "pay the piper" to have them install and run the cable. That way IF we have any leaks after installation it's the dealers problem to solve not mine.
Rogdeb is offline   Reply With Quote