Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2006, 04:41 AM   #1
Andy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5871
Laptop GPS

By July of ’07 my wife and I will be planning to spend at least 5 to 6 months a year on the road. My wife God love her, is not a navigator! We will need to be using a GPS system of some sort. We feel we’ll need a laptop anyway and obviously the least expensive approach would GPS software for the laptop. However, she is also technologically challenged as well. With this in mind I have two questions. (1) Will I need her to operate the laptop as we travel, or do I plan the route in advance and then it does it’s job, and (2) because of it’s larger size how is it used in the cab of the truck without it being in the way? I truly hope that those of you who are using this system have come up with some creative ways to deal with this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:26 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Andy,
You can set the route and then just let it do it's job. Be sure to get one that has a voice because you don't want to be looking at it while driving. We installed a Laptop Mount that I can't find the link to right now. It can be positioned for either the driver or passenger to see. It is not in the way. Rich purchased this same mount and posted pictures of it. This might be a good time to teach your better half to operate the laptop and software. You have several months to practice.
Happy trails.............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:09 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Andy,
We've used a laptop with Delorme Street Atlas software and Earthmate GPS and it has worked wonders. Once in a while it will call for us to go on a road that we don't want to go on but we can change that. My wife plans all the routes for us to take (I just drive) and she holds the laptop on her (where else) lap and watches the little green arrow move as we move. I've wanted her to put the laptop on the console between us so she doesn't have to hold it but that's what she wants to do. For me, I'd put it on the console and probably use some velcro so it wouldn't slide around.

Some people use hand-held GPS thing-a-majigs, some have the sophisticated Garmin. But each person gets what they think is best for them. Laptops work great.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:55 AM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I use Delorme w/earthmate GPS and place it on a Jotto Desk.
Link is here -> http://www.jottodesk.us/jotto_desk_5167acd.htm
Chuck

It looks like this...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:24 AM   #5
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
I have been using the Delorme/Earthmate GPS for several years now and really like it. It is impossible to get lost with it. Easy to learn too. I have used it in my work for years all over the eastern USA, NYC to Miami and Chicago to Atlanta and rural in between, and it works fine. If you miss a turn it will automatically reroute you. This is great if you miss a freeway exit or city street. Carol uses it in her lap, too. With our Verizon air card, she can check the email/web while we are traveling.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:33 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Found the link - http://www.mobilelaptopmount.com/. It is only $30. After I purchased, I was able to communicate with them via email and phone to ask questions. The connections can be purchased at any plumbing supply (Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc) if you want to change the configuration.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #7
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Thanks, Sue. That is more like it, pricewise.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:22 PM   #8
Andy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5871
Thanks to all who responded, it is truly appreciated. If anyone has any other thoughts or ideas I'd like to hear them.

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:24 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Actually you can purchase the parts for the stand that Sue and I have almost anywhere..it is just black pipe. You might spend as much as 10.00 to do it yourself.The right seat runs the GPS the left seat drives.We use a 17 inch HP laptop and the Garman GPS-18..Any of them will do the job.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:52 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Andy, I have exactly the same dilemma as you. So I am the route planner, the driver, and the navigator. I use Streets and Trips on a laptop. Have also used Street Atlas, which is also good. I have a board strapped to the console lid extending closer to the dash. It is covered with velcro. The bottom of the laptop also has velcro on all the spaces where it won't cover cooling slots or keep a lid from opening. I thus can position the laptop as I want it. It works great. I really like having the large screen there. Both the above products use voice to clue me there is a turn coming up so I don't have to watch the laptop all the time. It's location is such that a quick glance takes no more time than would adjusting the AC or radio.

One thing I really like about S&T besides being the easiest I've ever used to plan a route, is a settting that keeps the next turn on the screen so the closer you come the more it zooms. As you approach the turn it is zoomed to where you can read street names, see which lane you need, etc. Automatically. Pretty sweet.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:15 AM   #11
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ok, couldn't resist as the rain broke, sun came out, I'm off work today through Monday...wish I was camping. Here's what the Noneck Command Center looks like!
Chuck
Edited. The picture was changed to a link. It exceeds guidelines of 640 x 480 maximum. HOTR
http://i14.tinypic.com/2i1ko46.jpg
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:24 AM   #12
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I purchased the same one as Rich and Sue. Be sure to go to the website and look at all the installation photos. I'm VERY pleased with mine. With the quick disconnect, you can mount just another base in another vehicle and make it interchangeable. I'll eventually get some "black pipe" and make a new setup so the top piece is interchangeable since my van needs a little different configuration.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote