Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2006, 05:45 AM   #1
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
Carpet replacement question

Because of an unusual wear spot in the den, and a stain in the dining area caused by the slide, our dealer is looking at replacing all the carpet in our 3500RL under warranty. The reason for replacing all the carpet is that the original is no longer available from Keystone, so the only way to get a match is replace all the carpet, front to back.
His carpet guy has never replaced any carpet on a slideout and is not sure how it will turn out because of having to have the edges "bound" or "serged" on the inner edges, where the carpet lays on top of the floor carpet when the slide is out.
Has anyone had a similar situation, and if so, how was it done and how did it turn out?
Anything I should look for?
The carpet guy thinks he can do it with no problem.
The Service Manager has never seen carpet on a slide replaced, so he's not sure. He is talking to Keystone to get their recommendation and see if it's something that should go back to the factory.
Most of all, we don't want to wind up with some kind of mess when it's all said and done!
Thanks.

DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:28 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have only talked with one person who had to replace carpet in their coach and slides. He ended up taking it back to the factory as all of his slides had to come out of the coach. They also had to take apart some of the fixtures to get the carpet under counters, desk, tv area. Dickie & Kay, I hope Keystone is able to help you get your carpet replaced. Keep us updated.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:23 AM   #3
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
That is a very good question. We have developed some spots due to our beloved pets, however when we trade up some or all our carpet will need to be replaced. Keep us posted on your work.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:59 AM   #4
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
We had to have our carpet replaced in the large slide in our coach.This was done under warranty by our dealer,they ordered the carpet from keystone,removed all the furniture from the slide,removed all the trim and then removed the bad carpet to use as a pattern for the new piece.A carpet company did the installation and had it binded,The bad carpet had a small tear in it.The dealer then replaced all the trim with new and put back all the furniture.You cannot even tell anything was moved, the trim is perfect,the slides move great, no problem at all with this repair.The dealer even gave us the old carpet to make into small throw rugs and agreed to pay for the binding for any we wanted.We got four.Now this tear was very minor in nature, only about a three inch slit but the dealer went about it very professionally and we were very pleased with the result.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:56 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've not had ours replaced but when new the carpet on the kitchen slide kept coming out from under the slide. The dealer fixed it by putting on the wood facing to hold the carpet on. That piece was from a Big Sky. It has held beautifully for 3 1/2 years and many cycles of the slide looks really nice to boot. So maybe they could put a wood facing on it where it would curve under the slide.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:36 AM   #6
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
Update on carpet replacement.
It took a while, but Keystone finally gave the OK to replace all the carpet since the original was no longer available.
Meet with carpet installer on Monday at lunchtime to pick out a color and style, dropped the trailer off at the dealer Monday afternoon and most of the work was done by Thursday. We did pony up a few extra bucks over what Keystone allowed to get a little better carpet. We chose to go with a Frieze'.
The dealer pulled all the furniture, including disassembling the bed, out of the rig to give the carpet guy easy access. He took the slide peices to a local carpet binder to have the binding sewn on and then installed all the carpet.
We stopped by yesterday afternoon to check it out, and I can say we were pleasantly suprized, it looked great!! We have the Big Sky Suede interior and we think the new Frieze' looks better than the berber style that came in the rig. The dealer still has to get everything cleaned up and reinstall the furniture.
By the way, the slides did not have to be removed as most thought they would.
We're keeping all the "scrap" and are having binding sewn on to make rugs for the step, kitchen and bath area.
We really hated to have to have all this done, but can honestly say it was really no big deal and we're happy with the outcome.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:50 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Great resolution to your problem. I'm sure the new carpet will wear a lot better. We did have to replace the carpet in our large slide, done under warranty. It turned out very nice with a great match. No problems.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:24 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Great report, Dickie and Kay. I think a lot of us, me included, have thought about having carpet replaced but were under the impression it is a really big deal. I was told by one dealer to figure on $3500 to replace with a carpet of similar quality as OEM. After your explanation it sounds like far less than that, now.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:45 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
How much weight would it add to the trailer to change the lower part of the trailer, i.e. kitchen and dining area specifically, to some of the fake wood flooring that is laid down in strips? Our entry way carpet really takes a hit, but I like the carpet in the LR and Bedroom.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:36 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are going to see if we can have the wood flooring installed INSTEAD of carpet upon ordering at least in the entry way and kitchen area.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:10 AM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That sounds like a good idea, Rich.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:26 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Do they still DO wood floors??? I thought they did away with them? They were very popular.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't know about the wood floors but am going to find out. We never saw any at any of our Factory tours.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
If memory serves, and it doesn't always, we were told that they did away with them, the time they replaced ours in the kitchen area, cause they were too easily damaged by the slides and something else which I don't remember. and, yes, even my replaced floor is scratched some. Still like it tho, just ignore the scratches.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Humm well that is good to know..The reason we thought they might be better than carpet was that the carpet could be damaged by the slides.There were some reports of that on the forum..and besides Helen likes wood flooring...
Old 02-13-2006, 02:09 AM   #16
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
On the 2005 3500, the slides did not have to removed to change the carpet. From what I understand, on a lot of models the slide has to be removed to attach the carpet under the slide. Actually, the guys at the dealership said they kind-of unhook the slide and tip them out for access. We were really happy that ours could be done without having to do that.
We went by on Thursday afternoon to do a final inspection before they closed everything up. Normal stuff, recliners turned the wrong way for storage and a few loose screws in the closet door slide track and the washer/dryer closet, and all the shades were full open. Seems that the techs can never get things back as they were when the started. Looks much better than the factory carpet.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:21 AM   #17
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
On the topic of hard wood floors, didn't Lamar, fulltimedreamer, do hardwood in his Mountaineer?
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:41 PM   #18
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wordsmith

On the topic of hard wood floors, didn't Lamar, fulltimedreamer, do hardwood in his Mountaineer?
Wordsmith,

Yes, I did put laminate flooring in our coach. It is easy to keep clean and wasn't difficult to install. Here is a link to the project: http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...4/lam_flr.html

fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:01 PM   #19
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Thanks for the confirmation, Lamar. I thought I remembered you doing that. If Keystone does indeed no longer do the hardwood look, those who want such can take inspiration from you.

By the way, how difficult was it to do the laminate around the slide out in your living room?
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:51 PM   #20
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
It was not difficult as I started the flooring from against the trim at the slide and worked across to the the cabinets. I left a 1/4" gap as this is a floating floor. The gap is covered by the slide carpet edge and the quarter round trim on all the other walls.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote