Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2015, 07:30 AM   #1
RVGypsy

M.O.C. #17915
Storage Door Struts

We have a new 2015 3100RL Montana. We have already had one of the struts (gas springs) rip out from the passenger side storage door. We finally got it repaired but today noticed something interesting. If you compare the struts on both the passenger and drivers side storage doors, they are totally backward from each other. We looked at another Montana and they were also backwards.
Please look at yours, let me know if you have had this problem and if yours are also backward. Is there a right way these should be installed?
Even though it's repaired, which was a huge PITA. We want to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Thanks for all your help!!!!

RVGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
This was covered multiple times with lots of different ways to fix, if you do a search in old posts for paasthru struts. I used 3M5200 behind mt brackets and still holding tight after three years. By backwards I assume you are asking where the thick part of the strut is...top or bottom. Everyone that I have seen has had them with the fat part up. Don't think it matters though. John
Old 10-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
my 2011 - one strut pulled out of the door within the first 2 months.

the other pulled out - last month. Keystone tech at the Fall Rally stated that the door will be replaced because the holes are so big. The plates was installed with rivets on one door and screws on the other side. the rivets are the ones that came out leaving big holes.

Going to the authorized dealer to have the door ordered.....maybe by spring, I will get it. Since mine is white and all the current inventory is tan or beige. It has to be special ordered and produced - per plant customer service.
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Joe saw a door delivered to one of the Monte's at the Fall Rally and it was white. I think it was real close to your rig-- maybe Dennis and Donna Ziegler's rig. Might want to check with them on if they got it from Keystone or from one of the rv salvage yards in the area.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:00 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I made a repair to our rig over two years ago, and the brackets are still solid. Last posted a photo and discussion at this thread: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ms=door,struts
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:57 AM   #6
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
Rondo - I saw someone walk away from the Tiarra dinner carrying one also. I may call Tiarra and check. I didnt even think to look at the rv surplus places - since we were at them the week before the rally. thanks
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Joe saw a door delivered to one of the Monte's at the Fall Rally and it was white. I think it was real close to your rig-- maybe Dennis and Donna Ziegler's rig. Might want to check with them on if they got it from Keystone or from one of the rv salvage yards in the area.
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote