Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2013, 04:35 AM   #1
danlisaflores
Established Member

M.O.C. #13372
Smell outside

So, we've been in the trailer for 2 months full-time now.

About 2 weeks ago we started getting an odor outside the trailer, curb side that comes from underneath. Now that said, when dumping, I can stand right at the connector and there's no odor.
Also, no odor inside at all. (Thank goodness!)
The hose is brand new.
I sniffed every vent on the roof and again nothing there.
We don't see any leaking underneath. We do have the Moving to Montana package so the underneath is all sealed.

Any suggestions, advice of what to check/do?

danlisaflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Have you stayed in the same place for those two weeks. The reason I asked is that we had a similar problem last winter and found a cracked sewer line right on the surface of the ground that was providing the smell. It was behind the rig, but the prevailing wind took the smell under the rig and out the curb side.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #3
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
If you didn't smell anything from the roof vent, I would say you have a clogged roof vent. That is the whole purpose of the vent system, to vent gasses and smell up and away from your rig. We had a vent get clogged so bad on our last motor home, I had to get on the roof and use a pressure hose from the vent down to unclog it.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
As Dick said, it could be coming from the campgrounds sewer system. A sewer line near you can be causing it.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:08 AM   #5
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

As Dick said, it could be coming from the campgrounds sewer system. A sewer line near you can be causing it.
OMG yes. Some inconsiderate campers will leave without replacing the sewer cap and it can stink to high heavens.

Hey Jim, did you get my check yet?
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Alan,
I did and thank you.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
danlisaflores
Established Member

M.O.C. #13372
Thanks everyone.
We have been in the same place the whole 2 months and there wasn't any smell until just a few weeks ago.
I even went back over the weather during this time. Little to no rain, but the temps have definitely gotten hot.

I did find a sewer cap off near us, but that wasn't it. I'll be keeping an eye out for that now!
I'm gonna talk to the camp host tomorrow about the smell maybe being of the park!

And as far as the roof vents, I'm gonna get up there and check them out too. The rig is new to us so anytime something comes up, I figure it's a good time to learn!
danlisaflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Have you stayed in the same place for those two weeks. The reason I asked is that we had a similar problem last winter and found a cracked sewer line right on the surface of the ground that was providing the smell. It was behind the rig, but the prevailing wind took the smell under the rig and out the curb side.
X2 When all else fails, look at the campground; we have been at several where their septic systems were less than desirable. Also have seen campgrounds where the water absolutely stunk.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
It could be possible you are getting a down draft from the vents on the roof, the same thing happens on homes. If you think that is it, shut all your dump valves and see if it quits, shutting the valve prevents sewer gases from going up the hose, through your holding tanks and up and out the vents. If that is the case, you can put a trap or low spot in your sewer hose to hold effluent so sewer gases will not travel up the hose. Just my 2 cents worth........
Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:09 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
My money is on a cracked tank, leaking Grey water under the unit on top of the black bottom cover. I bet you have a cracked galley tank spud.
If you would hook up and drive off I bet you would leave a trail of water. Can you see any water dripping or on the ground at all?
I know you stated you did not see any, but it is worth a second look.
You might have to drop the cover in that area to look at it.
Happened to me, had to patch the tank at the spud, not a bad job at all.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote