Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2013, 04:44 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
An alarming subject

CO detectors (Carbon Monoxide) and Propane gas detectors.
We all need to be aware of the limited operating life of these potential life-saving detectors. They both have a long shelf life, but a limited operating life, they publish 5 to 7 years on the CO detector, I would lean to the 5 year on a spread like that personally.
The Propane detector runs 5 years, again, I would favor the shorter 4 years for reliability.
They have a few different sensors, and air pollution can change that.
I am not an expert on these, but have had to change some for customers. I have attached links so you can read up on them from folks who do know about them.
Just wanted to help out my fellow RV'ers. Let's all stay safe out there.

http://www.amazon.com/Smoke-and-Carb...ode=3018441011
http://www.carbon-monoxide-survivor....ors-types.html
http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Pr...oxide-detector

I can’t help but think that the RV lot storage in the summertime with over 100 degrees and the horrible out-gassing of an RV would shorten the life on both your CO detector and your Propane Gas Detector.
CO detector: Around $83.00 as with anything, you can get them cheaper, the prices will be all over the place: Older items that already have a long shelf life, Cost no tax, cost with tax, shipping costs, shipping and handling costs and so on…

Propane detector around $77.00, same as above on costs.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:34 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Wise advice there Ozz! The other option is to occasionally replace the monitors by replacing the big old enclosures that they are intended to monitor (Been there, done that). On second thought, your approach is a lot easier on the wallet!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I never thought about those alarms Ozz, but it makes sense what you are saying. Sensors age and are impacted by the environment and therefore can lose their ability because of all kinds of stuff in the air that over time will damage or alter them as they try and do their job. Or maybe I'm just agreeing with you since you are the all-knowing most powerful, Ozz (sounds like a movie line). Naw, it just makes sense.

I guess I'll be swapping these out when I swap out my tires next year. It ain't hard and they won't break the bank versus what they do for us in safety. Fortunately, I can do the alarms by myself and will replace the smoke alarms, too. The tires, well they are a different story.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Thanks for the advice.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It's surprising how many folks want to save a little money on things that could save their life.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
True Dick. I read on a Fourm where a guy was bragging he had a 12 yr. old detector and it was just fine... Duh..
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote