Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
Orlando to Indy

The Traveling families (ours and Robins folks) are driving to Indiana in May to pick up our nephew from college to move in with us in Orlando.
Has anyone used the Military or Army Corp camp grounds in KY?
We are planning our first stop North of Atlanta and from there we are not sure how far we will go. I am thinking of Ft Knocks (sp) but have never been there.

Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Okay, this is a follow-up to Doug's (DH's) original question as we have firmed some things up. We will be leaving Orlando area next Wednesday (6 May) to go to Terre Haute, Indiana. We plan to take Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to get to Terre Haute (approx 300 miles a day). There are two routes recommended by AAA triptik...one takes us all highways to Indianapolis and then crossing over to Terre Haute the other is more direct with a combination of highway and "surface roads"/country highways. Any thoughts, pro/con, suggestions, sage advice, etc. that those of you who have traveled the north/south direction to Terre Haute (or surrounding area)? Your counsel would be GREATLY appreciated!

Robin and Doug (or Doug and Robin)!
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
We travel to Tampa at least once a year from our home here in Indiana. I hate traveling thru Atlanta on I-75 so the last few years we have taken I-65 to Montgomery Alabama and then US 231 down to I-10 and accross to US 19 South.
SR 46 in Indiana is not too bad and runs from Columbus (approx 30 miles south of Indy) thru Nashville, Bloomimgton and into Terre Haute. It is a 2 lane winding road though so you wont make as good time as you would on the interstate, plus you will have to drive thru the heart of Bloomington and Indiana University. Going I-65 north into Indianapolis and taking I-70 west to Terre Haute is no problem either. Indy is pretty easy to get thru or around (taking I-465). If you have some questions on some specific roads let me know and I'll try and help.

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I have to agree with wingerphil on taking I65 from Montgomery. But I'm not a big fan of the road from St Rd 46 Columbus to Terre Haute. I would come on up and take I465 to I70 west in Indy.
A couple of places we utilize on our Florida trip for overnight stays is Cullman Campground in Cullman Al. Another is Texas T just north of the the Ala Tenn State line on I65. There are some other CG in the Cave City area of Ky.
Safe travels which ever way you choose.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Thank you for your feedback! Now Doug can work out which way might work best for our needs. We will let you know how it goes!

Robin and Doug
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote