Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
New Montana Owners

Hello from Calgary, Alberta

Betty & I have just recently purchased our first 5th Wheel - a 3500RL. We've spent the last 13 years camping with a 23' trailer and it was finally time to "move up". In June, we started looking for a new 27-30' trailer. We had no intention of buying a fifth wheel unit at this time. On our first visit to an RV dealer to look at trailers, I ventured into the 3500RL sitting in the showroom. Wow, was I impressed! Betty's reaction - "Lets not waste time looking at something we're not even remotely interested in".

After 2 months of fruitless search - we couldn't find any trailer that worked for us - we started looking at fifth wheel units. Of course we started out looking at smaller units. Again, nothing that we liked. So we started looking at the larger units. In September, I remembered the Montana that I had seen on our very first shopping trip. We went to the dealership (which was about an hour from home) and looked at the Montanas he had in stock. In less than an hour, the deal was done.

Now, all that was left was to buy a truck to pull this huge rig. No problem - picked up a 2006 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax.

We've been out twice now on short weekend trips to get accustomed to this new experience of camping in a luxury RV. The experience was everything and more than we expected. We are absolutely in love with this unit.

Having read many of the Forum submissions, I have just a couple of questions before taking the unit back to the dealer for what, I hope, are minor problems.

1. On both trips, we found that the entrance door did not open and close with ease - the unit was perfecly level. Is this a minor adjustment or is it an indication of something more serious?

2. On our second trip, I noticed some bubbling in the siding approximately 2' to the right of the entance door. Is this easily fixed or is it a major repair? Will it get worse?

3. The stove was not installed level with the counter top. It drops about 1/4" from left to right. If it doesn't affect performance, I'm not too worried about this.

Anyway, we're looking forward to spending a lot of enjoyable time in our Montana and look forward to meeting others in the Montana "family". Congrats on a great site.

bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
RailroadMike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5807
Welcome....I like your taste and I think you will be very happy!
RailroadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:39 PM   #3
TheRanch
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6226
Howdy from N.J.
Im sure you will enjoy your new 5er and your problems sound very minor, Im sure the dealer will take care of them.
TheRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the forum. As far as the door is concerned, it may just be an adjustment problem. The stove is not a problem unless your wife says it is a problem. Does she bake? Quarter of an inch might make a problem.

I would have the dealer look at the buckling problem. It may be minor or serious depending on cause. Whether is worsens or not depends on cause also. Happy RVing...
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
The door is a minor glitch in shipping instructions from Keystone to your dealer. This is a "well kept secret". Under the screen door, there is a black piece of plastic screwed into the bottom with a Phillips head screw. You will see the 1 inch scape mark this is causing on the bottom sill of your door jam. Unscrew this piece of plastic and throw it and the screw away.

It is a "shipping shim" that many dealers are totally unaware of. Even saw one at our Rally this past week. Owner was totally unaware. The Montana plant is neglecting to notify their dealers of this piece of plastic and many owners are complaining about their "sticking doors" - sometimes for years.

Remove this and you will be absolutely amazed at how much easier your door opens and closes.

*On Edit~ Forgot to comment on the stove. When we received our 3400 in July this year - AND after we got it home 324 miles away - we discovered that our stove was not screwed in level front to back. We simply unscrewed the front two screws shimmed it with a 1x2 board, and re-screwed into the counter. About a inch down in front from what it should have been. Not sure how easy it will be to reattach the back screw on a "side-to-side" re-alignment... The front one was easy.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:36 PM   #6
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hello Bruiser,

Welcome to the Forum, 3500...Nice unit. We've had our Montana just under a year, and still love it.
The biggest problem you describe would be the bubble in the gel coat, but the dealer can fix that.
We see bubbles in gel coat on boats all the time out hear on the West Coast.

Now the Door ? A few months ago someone posted about finding little black ( plastic or rubber ) blocks
or pads under the bottom of the door. Sounds like they are shipping blocks and are suppose to come off
before delivering the trailer to the customer. Maybe the dealer forgot this.
worth taking a look. Someone may come along with more details on this.

The stove? A few have had the stove out of Whack more then what you describe. Most have fixed it on their own.
but I'm sure dealer would fix it. Not unusual to find a few bugs for the first 6 months or so.
Good luck & enjoy

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #7
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Congratulations and welcome to the club. We have not had any major issue with our unit and if I was buying a new one tomorrow, it would be another Monty.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:20 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Congrats on your new Monty and TV. You made some good choices and joined the MOC to boot. Don't worry about the oven unless you want to have the dealer adjust when you go in for other things. If you bake a cake (2 Layer) with it a 1/4 of an inch off you can just put the two layer together flip flopped. If it is a sheet cake, put a little more icing on the down side. Nothing else will be affected. I would have the dealer look at the bubbles. The door may or may not loosen in time but check for the little black plastic thingy others have mentioned.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:42 AM   #9
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Congratulations on your new Monty! I especially like your choice! We have ours ordered and should take delivery the first week of November! We too had seen this floorplan several years ago...another manufactuer at the time...we loved it but were not in a position to purchase a new 5er at the time. Over the past 5 years we have looked at this floorplan many times. Finally, at a local RV show in September, we just said, what the heck? We keep sitting in it and saying how much we like it. Let's just do it! We are very anxious to get ours in. I'll be looking forward to your posts about your travels! Happy camping!
CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:16 AM   #10
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Welcome and congratulations on the new Montana. The 3500 is a beautiful unit and I am sure you will have many happy adventures ahead. Enjoy.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:23 AM   #11
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
Welcome to MOC!!! Hope that maybe we will see you at the fall rally in Goshen in 2007, it is well worth the trip! We have the 3400 too and love it even though we had some problems with it. Our dealer and Keystone took care of the problems and we couldn't be happier. Where in Canada are you from, we own a piece of property near Iron Bridge on Bright Lake in Ontario.
rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:32 PM   #12
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
Thanks for all the helpful information in all your replies. I went to the dealer today -without the Montana - and was told that they would look after all these little problems. The only glitch is that they want a picture of the bubbles in the siding to send to Keystone for their recommendations. I'm sure it will all be looked after. I did check the door and the shipping blocks were out. The dealer has obviously left them in before because they have a have a little pot in the service department which their techs have to contribute $2.00 to every time they forget to remove them.

To Sue & Roger - We live out in western Canada in Calgary, Alberta. It's a good weeks drive from Bright Lake.

Once again, thanks to all and we look forward to hopefully meeting some of you on the road.
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:03 AM   #13
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Your'e going to love it, there is a new 3500 sitting next to my 3400 at the dealership and it is a beauty.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote