Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2005, 12:41 PM   #1
eck-2
Established Member

M.O.C. #3488
tire rims

We wre just on a two week trip to vegas, grand canyon and other parts of the country. While at the grand canyon we had a flat on the camper so we took it to Flagstaff AZ to get it fixed and found out that the tire rim was shot, it was leaking where the inner and outer parts are welded together. Our extended warrenty does not cover tire rims only tires what a joke for extended warrenties, so after 4 hours of driving around and 6 tire shops later we found 1 rim that matched. and we were on our way again, When we got home and was unloading the camper I noticed another flat so I changed it and checked that wheel and it was a bad rim too leaking in the same place as the other one.
I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. It makes me think that the other rims will do the same thing. We have a 03 3655FL camper and we have put on it about 9000 miles so far

eck-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:35 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I will add check rims to our pre delivery checklist.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:39 PM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
eck-2,

I might suggest giving Keystone a call. I would tell them about your problem and would ask if they can tell you how to contact the maker of the wheels.

Keystone may make it right by you even tho your out of warrenty. I'm thinking the wheel Manufacturer should be told about this as this could cause an accident. A recall might be in order here.

Wish you well,
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 03:40 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
eck-2..do you know the manufacturer of the rims??? Thats really not a Keystone problem but the maker should make it right out of warrenty or not....Keystone could apply some pressure. You should ALWAYs present these kind of problems, Rv, Car, truck, whatever from a Safety issue point of view(which it is) Manufactures do not like to hear "safety issues" as they see possible big lawsuits and are more likely to make it right.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:46 AM   #5
Montana_3263

M.O.C. #3263
We have a 2004 Montana BigSky 3575. Have had two rims with cracks so far. Luckily we were in a campsite when the rims went bad.
Bought 3 steel rims so far, 2 different types from 2 different locations in 2 different states.
So now I have 4 different rim types on my 5th wheel. The 4 aluminum rims that where mounted on the 5th wheel when I bought it, the spare is steel. That makes 2 types, then the 2 types a bought. When I bought the second time I purchased 2 rims in case I have another bad rim.
Talked to my sales rep where I bought the 5th wheel and he told me to hold onto receipts and rims till we get back to where he is and he will see if we can get reimbursed.
The cheapest rims I found were from TIRE DISCOUNT in San Marcos, TX cost were $49.00 each.
Montana_3263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 07:29 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I note that so far the cracked rims are on the larger heaver Montanas.Could it be that the rims are not proper for the weight..Does anybody know how rims are rated????Does keystone use the same rims on ALL the montana models???
Old 04-03-2005, 12:53 AM   #7
Bear Hunter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2464
My question is what type of wheel was it. I had read some place that there has been repeated problems with aluminum wheels cracking on RV's. I don't recall where I read this but I ask my salesman when we bought our 02 3255RL about aluminum wheels for it and he advised to go with steel. This wheel failure is a safty issue that should be addressed by Keystone as they are the ones who put the wheels on. They should contact their supplier to be sure their consumers are not at risk. When you buy your RV the only wheel choice you have from the company is steel or aluminum, and not manufacture.

SEMPER FI
Bear Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:39 AM   #8
eck-2
Established Member

M.O.C. #3488
the rims are the white steel spoked type
Old 04-03-2005, 04:39 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good to know there is a choice..I will go with steel.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:34 AM   #10
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
I wonder if the problem with the aluminum wheels is torque. If I'm not mistaken, the 8-bolt pattern wheels are "lug-centric" versus "hub-centric" meaning the wheels are centered on the 5/8" lug studs in lieu of the hub center. If the lug nuts get loose, then the wheel has a tendency to "rock" back and forth on the lugs and start fractures. I re-torque our lug nuts every other trip or sooner if we travel really bumpy roads. Aluminum is "soft" and the nuts seem to loosen fairly easily. I don't think Keystone would put under-rated wheels on their units. Just too much liability involved here. I'm not sure, but like on most steel rims a DOT number is stamped into them. Cross this number over to the DOT specs and you can find the ratings of the rims. I'll take off one of our rims this weekend and see if there is any info stamped on the aluminum rims & re-post what I find.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:34 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
twer..you are correct about the torque issue..I had a rear wheel come off a 3/4 ton van with aluminum rims some years ago due to the exact same problem you mention.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:38 PM   #12
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
I keep a torque wrench in my Monty's basement and check all the wheel lugs about every 500 miles or so. Just have to remember to do it when the slides are closed so that I don't have to crawl under to get to the rims.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 04:30 PM   #13
eck-2
Established Member

M.O.C. #3488
well I contacted my dealer and he had me send him some pictures of the rim and forwarded them to keystone and I'm waiting to hear back . I can see the lug nuts coming loose on aluminum rims but these are steel I think the problem is in the welding like the heat may have been to high for the hole is at the end of the weld. What I wonder about is that the trailer has 7000# axles with 6 hole rims, last fall I built a gooseneck flatbed trailer with 6000# axles and the axle manufacturer required 8 hole rims on 5500# + axles that they sell but I think if the rims were under weight they usually fail that the studs. Food for thought
Old 05-04-2005, 06:32 PM   #14
eck-2
Established Member

M.O.C. #3488
I just had rim # 3 go bad, they were all made on 4-19-02. rim manuf. only have 1 yr warrenty. I'm starting to carry a spare rim with me because I think that all of the 5 original rims will crack.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:21 AM   #15
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
I find it interesting to hear about other steel rims that are having problems. The previous owner told me that the spare tire rim has a crack in it and that he had put an inner tube in it.

Call me paranoid, but if a rim is weakened by a crack, the last thing I want is to have full pressure maintained by an inner tube. I'm thinking about having that tire demounted and getting a new rim.

Thoughts?

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:26 AM   #16
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I have 15 inch rims with Trailer Tires. I have not had a problem with the rims or tires but I couldn't help but notice that the max pressure stamped on the rims is 60 psi. The sticker on the trailer calls a cold pressure of 65 psi.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 08:20 AM   #17
w4nfr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #646
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fjlindahl

We have a 2004 Montana BigSky 3575. Have had two rims with cracks so far. Luckily we were in a campsite when the rims went bad.
Bought 3 steel rims so far, 2 different types from 2 different locations in 2 different states.
So now I have 4 different rim types on my 5th wheel. The 4 aluminum rims that where mounted on the 5th wheel when I bought it, the spare is steel. That makes 2 types, then the 2 types a bought. When I bought the second time I purchased 2 rims in case I have another bad rim.
Talked to my sales rep where I bought the 5th wheel and he told me to hold onto receipts and rims till we get back to where he is and he will see if we can get reimbursed.
The cheapest rims I found were from TIRE DISCOUNT in San Marcos, TX cost were $49.00 each.
w4nfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 04:54 AM   #18
eck-2
Established Member

M.O.C. #3488
I called Keystone customer service and did get some justice, though they said the wheels and axles are designed for my gwvr, they are going to give me heavier rated rims which have to be converted to 8 hole rims and hubs, they are going to send them directly to me and I'm going to change them myself. So I have to say Thanks Keystone