Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > PREVIOUS ANNUAL MOC NORTH AMERICAN RALLIES > 2013 Annual MOC North American Fall Rally
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Computer Classes, Cancelled.

The Computer classes are cancelled. IF you have questions about specific forum/computer issues please look me up at the Rally and I will be happy to help you one on one.

Despite numerous requests/begging/pleading, no voting has taken place on the Computer classes since July 10th, so, I have decided that I will take the limited vote and close the voting, and so, here are your classes!

Class Number 1, will be held on Thursday at 2:30 and will be Website overview and how to add a Photo to MOC threads and/or your signature line.

NOTE: this does NOT cover avatars, as those can only be added by the Admin and Moderators.

Also note, the WEBSITE is accessed at the Home button at the top of this and other pages on the forum. This does not cover the function of the basic forum, that was the Newbie class which received very few votes and therefore is not being offered at this years Rally. For those that are in dire need of assistance with the basics, please see me at the Rally, or preferably contact me via the forum BEFORE the Rally and I will try to help you. There are handouts from prior years classes that can be emailed to you, for example.

Class Number 2, will be held Sunday at 2:30 and will be Social Media, how to stay connected to family and friends while on the road.

As a preliminary for both classes, please review the following:

1.) You must have a computer and power cords.

Tablets may also be used, if you know how to navigate with yours.

2.) Know how to get online. Campground has had free wifi for several years.

3.) Know your passwords to access the MOC and other web sites you may need to access during class.

4.) Know how to get to your photos, where are they stored on the internet. They must be on the internet to use them on the MOC.

OK, so, since both of these classes are of the "advanced" nature, here is what you need to do to prepare for both classes:

1.) All of the above!

2.) Take a preliminary look at ONLINE web sites that will assist you in posting your photos here on the MOC.

a.) Tiny Pic Great for reducing size of photos, storage time may be limited.
b.) Irfanview I do not use this web site, I believe it is more for resizing and such, not for storage
c.) Photobucket Storage web site
d.) Flickr Storage web site
e.) Picasa, now incorporated into GooglePlus. Requirement is that you have a Gmail email addy. Storage web site.

So, snoop around a bit, if you already use one of these, then, suggest you upload a photo or two so we can practice. Refer to this page on the HOME website for additional information on sizing of photos and more.

IF there is time after we cover the the website AND adding photos to the MOC, we can touch on blogging. If you are interested and IF there is time, please note the following.

1.) There are several major choices, Weebly, Blogger and WordPress (yes, there are others, these are the ones I am familiar with).

a.) Weebly, is primarily a web site builder, but does have a "blog" built in. It is not one of my favs, but, we can discuss it.
b.) Blogger, my blog site of choice. MUST have a Gmail account. (See Picasa above, same Gmail account will link all these fun things)
c.) WordPress. I have very little experience with WP, I find it more advanced (read: difficult) to use.

In the Social Media class, we will touch on Facebook, GooglePlus, Skype (for Mina! LOL) and on GooglePlus we will investigate Hangouts.

Since Skype and Hangouts require some pretty good connectivity, the connectivity at the campground will determine how much playing we may or may not be able to do.

Please consider setting up a Skype account before you arrive in class, as setting up accounts can take a hunk o time.

Google Hangouts require a GMail account, or Google account (to me they are one in the same as my email, Blog and GooglePlus accounts are all linked.) and will need to have a GooglePlus presence(free).

The beauty and appeal of Google Hangouts is that you can have up to 10 parties on at the same time. Yes, indeedy, all the kids and you at once (unless you have more than 9 kids! ) Hangouts do better with headsets and microphones, but, to play and test headsets and mics are not necessary.

So, now is the time to indicate if you will be attending either class or both classes. Sign up HERE on this thread.

The computer classes are just that, classes and some work, they require some prep work as a student. It is just the nature of the beast. It is necessary and will allow us the time to cover the material and have questions. Please plan on arriving about 15 minutes before class for setting up and getting online. Bring extension cords, we WILL have power and seating for all interested.

For today, class is over - - see ya at the Rally

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
ka9vrx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6140
Carol,

Please sign me up for Computer class #1 & #2.

Thank you so much!

Donna
Old 08-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Sign me up for everything.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Atta girl, Carol - great job.

Any discussion of Carpal Tunnel in your sessions? I think I developed it since taking on this job...!
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
No, Jim, no carpal tunnel discussions. Sit up straight, get up once every 12 hours and WALK AWAY from the computer. Now, stretch.

Then, get back to work, we got t-shirts to order and a Rally to organize!

WOOT!

Oh, folks, if we don't get enough sign ups here, I will cancel the class. I know you understand, I just don't have enough hours in the day to spend reviewing and rewriting a class that no one is attending. Forgive me, but, I have a few other things I could be spending my time on. My prep time for these classes reaches about 40 hours. I love ya all, but, not 40 hours worth for 2 students.

So, if you want the classes, sign up,

See ya all soon at the 10th MOC Fall Rally! WOW, 10 years?? How did that happen??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Sign us up Carol! We do use Skype to keep in touch with the Grandkids so we know how that goes but we'd like to learn about posting those precious photo we all take!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
How did the 10 years happen??? We all got 10 years older...!
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Carol, put me down for both of your classes. See ya soon
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:01 AM   #9
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
I want both classes!!! Sorry I am late.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Please sign Garry up for Computer Class #1, Thanks
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
Samiterry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13257
Please sign me up for the classes. Sorry it took me so long to sign up. We have a MAC laptop and I wasn't sure how different things would be using MAC vs Windows. I am willing to try if you are!!!
Thanks Sammie Robinson
Samiterry is offline   Reply With Quote