Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Mackinac to Virginia

I was looking on the map tonight and thinking about how we were going to get to Winchester, VA from Mackinac in August. Thinking about going to Port Huron and then to Buffalo to see Niagra Falls (never been there). has anyone done this and what about camping along that route, especially in Canada. Anything special you need to do in order to go through Canada? We have also thought about coming up Wisconsin and into the UP and crossing the bridge to Mackinac on our way from Omaha. Any input on that route? I know that would be a little farther but we have never been to that part of the country.

Has anyone been on the raod between Port Huron and Buffalo

jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I would stay around the Port Huron area after you leave Mackinac. It is around 280 miles for your first trip. Several nice parks in the area close to the Blue Water Bridge. I would fuel your Truck on the Michigan side. Fuel is cheaper in Michigan than Canada. When you get into Canada keep an eye on your fuel gage. You should be able to get from Port Huron to Buffalo in one day without haveing to stay in Canada. Keep a eye on your fuel gage as when you get close to Toronto it gets harder to find a fuel stop or one that is easy to get into with a trailer. When you get by Toronto you start to swing toward Buffalo you will find stations harder to find and real hard to get into. To get back into the US you will need a passport or passport card. US Border People can be real testy, so be ready. Large number of parks in the Niagra area, but I have no park info for you.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:28 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
The route through Wisconsin and across the UP is well worth the time. Good road and great scenery. Not a lot to do up there if you don't fish or gamble but the scenery is outstanding. Lots of waterfalls just a short hike off the road. If you can swing it go up to Copper Harbor. While going through Wisconsin see if you can find a fish boil. It is a cardiologist dream but damm is it good. Niagra Falls is something to see. If you use your cell phone around the falls you better have an international calling plan. Chances are 50/50 you will grab a tower on the Canadian side. Don't ask how I know but it cost me about $1.25 a minute to tell my sister Happy Birthday. Had I known I was on a Canadian tower I would have said it a lot faster.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:46 AM   #4
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
29 years ago Carol and I were married. We joined our two families and honeymooned with our tribe at Niagara Falls. We drove a rented Class C across from Detroit and discovered a place that we would highly recommend on the way, African Lion Safari. They had an attached campground (don't know how big the sites are any more) and a whale of a time was had by all. The kids (now in their late 30s and 40s) still talk about it. This should get you the info you need http://www.lionsafari.com/home.html and this should show you where it is http://www.lionsafari.com/location.html Have a great trip.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Coming across Wis is a easy drive as you will probly come on 29 across or 64 or in mich us 2 but they all get to the bridge as we call it up there ,, we have crossed it 10 times a year and its no big deal as the sogns say trucks go ----- speed limit so drive it at that speed.. if it is really windy don't be surprised to see a curve in the bridge as it swings and the center will probly be 2 lanes as they are painting it year rd and have been painting it forever.. . it is a great site to see so don't rush it , if you have time before the bridge go north to the soo locks, its a good trip but worth it as its a day trip rd trip .. then off to the camp grds in mackanaw .. on the lower side of the bridge.. from the bridge south its all 4 lane on I 75 around detroit or you cross into canada.. ask 1happycamper what you have to do to get across the border as he is a can man ,,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote