Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Auxiliary Fuel Tank Canada

I will be traveling through Canada from Port Huron, MI. to Buffalo, NY. and beyond. Is there anything I should know about 91 gal of diesel fuel in my pickup bed tank. Are there any rules about transporting extra fuel for my own use through Canada?

old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I don't think you will have any problem as long as your tank is legal at home. FYI there is a Flying J on your route near London, ON. Diesel is probably a bit more costly in Ontario than Michigan, you might want to check, and fill up wherever it is cheaper at time of your trip. Bon Voyage!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Old Turbo Hello. I just installed a 65 gallon fuel/tool box. Don't worry about driving in the states with additional fuel as long as the tank is approved for Fuel use. You will enjoy the ability of being able to determine when and where you buy your fuel. In most cases you will be able to get where your going, and fuel up both tanks after you have unloaded the 5th wheel. Which makes it really nice... Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:37 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Old Turbo,

There was a thread not too long ago that asked a similar question. I believe the fellow had a 55 gallon drum of diesel he was taking with him and it was ONLY for his use. He was not going to re-sell it. I think he had trouble getting into Canada without paying a very large fee. If the "search" function is working you could try that or perhaps someone with a lesser degree of CRS will give us all the correct links and or information!

Good luck and have fun and let us know what you find out.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:10 AM   #5
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
We travel to Canada 6 or 7 times a year and have a 50 gal fuel tank in the bed of our truck. It is legal as long as it is not connected to the tank in your truck. Ours has a hose and a motor to fill the truck tank when needed. About paying duty on a full tank, we have not had to pay... so far, but others in the same camp we are in near Timon's ONT. have so I guess it all depends on the person who is at the border. We cross at the SOO between the UP in MI. And yes diesel is VERY expensive in ONT last week it was $4.52 (a gal), so that is why we try to take all we will need while there. We never have any trouble crossing, but we also don't lie or try to hide anything we are taking with us. They can see the tank in the truck bed, although we have seen some people that have had there vehicle's torn apart, ever thing out on the ground, even tires off and seats out as they are looking for something, it has never happened to us thank goodness. A few weeks ago we saw a guy with a big Harley and it was in pieces, wheel's, gas tank, seat , tires off the wheels, all on the ground as they searched most likely for drugs. It pays to be honest!
rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:28 AM   #6
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Roger, Thanks for that info, that is what I have, a tool box tank combo with a electric pump and a filler hose and auto shut off nozle. Rules are funny things when crossing. You are right it depends on the person asking the questions. I took our border collie over once and Canada people told me I would have to have all his shot papers and stuff if I wanted to come back through. We were on our way to Main to sons house. I had to call Nebraska to get all his shot papers faxed to me. The trip back we were at border check point at Niagra and the dog almost kissed the border agent and he never asked for any papers. Go figure.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote