Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2008, 03:55 AM   #1
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
3000RK

We have had our 2008 3000RK for about 3 weeks now.. it is a very nice unit.. We are on our way home from souther GA.. We noticed that a lot of things moved around in the kitchen on our last trip to the next campground. We make sure everything is secure, doors all shut and drawers closed.. We came back on the same road that we took down to southern GA.. not sure what is going on??

lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:29 AM   #2
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
Not sure what to tell you but I have had my 3000RK for a few months and pulled about 2000 miles with very little movement in the kitchen. The most movement I have had was inside the fridge. Maybe somebody else can have some suggestions.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:48 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Things tend to move if not packed tightly

Add rolls of TP and paper towels in open spaces!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:49 AM   #4
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Ifw, Welcome to the forum. There's a wealth of info here. We have an '07 3000RK, and at first had a couple things move about. I bought a roll of the non skid rubber material to place under any thing that is on the counter , table and not secured. Also I cut 3"wide strips and placed around the edges of the sink cutting boards,and garbage lid. The drawer under the fridge needs another latch mounted to it as the existing latch won't hold if you brake hard. I use the bungee ball, or double stick velcro to secure any double door cabinet,any where in the unit. We also have the booth/table setup, and if I place anything on the floor,I also use a piece of the non skid material under the item to keep it from moving. Again, Welcome to the MOC forum. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:00 AM   #5
LeonardW
Established Member

M.O.C. #7960
We have a 3000RK for a year now. The only problem we have had is the big drawer under the fridge. The drawer opened while on a 20 mile trip to the dealer for some warrenty work, the dealer tech opened the big slide and it hit the drawer. Damaged the slide and destroyed the drawer, all repaired by the dealer. I installed a childproof door latch on the drawer, if it opens now it can only come out about 2 inches.
Len (LeonardW)
LR-S@att.net
LeonardW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:16 AM   #6
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.. I am sure I will use them..
Thanks a lot
lfw
Old 11-10-2008, 06:24 AM   #7
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
This is our first Montana. We had another 5th wheel before trading for a Montana.. I am sure we will get lots of enjoyment out of it. We are thinking about living full time in it. Not sure yet. A lot of things to take care of before we can do it.
Thanks
lfw
Old 11-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
IFW, We have had two 5th wheels with rear kitchens, there is some movement but nothing that we can't live with, my DW would not have anyother model, she loves the Kitchen. I like the LR area.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #9
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
We had a 2006 montana 3000RK and you need to valcro the cabinet doors shut the drawer under the frig we had a strap to hold it colsed while travel once you get used to straping the kit down , it only takes 2 min you have a lot more fun ,, also put rubber shelf liner in all the cabinets on the bottom shelf,, we even made slide out drawers , but we bundgie those shut also , its was a great unit but now we have a 3465SA 2009 and love it ,,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:54 AM   #10
tjuhl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7213
IFW, we also have a 2008 3000RK and have traveled about 8000 miles. The only thing I have done is put the child safety lock on the drawer under the frig, nothing else. We have not had any problems, never even had a door open. We do however have a 5th Airbourn pin which I'm sure helps.
tjuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:59 AM   #11
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
On our rear kitchen, we had similar things happen.

We put extra pillows in the cabinets...end of problem..

Also budgie cords for cabinet doors.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:12 AM   #12
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
We have been pulling a 3000RK since 2006 and have not experienced any problems with drawers or doors. I have had problems with the fridge, broken shelves on the door which means we have had to start loading a cooler again and the door popped open on one trip; everything was on the floor at set-up time. DW complains about not being able to load lazy-susan the way she wants even after using the rubber matting stuff. I do not like not being able to see fridge at rest stops to check on its operation (we travel with propane on).
We have pulled our unit from Maine to Seattle, WA and both really like our units floor plan and size but would prefer having a kitchen "amidship". DW states clearly never another rear kitchen. Jon
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:49 AM   #13
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
We have an 07' Mountaineer 307rkd, and had the cabinet door above the sink open on our maiden voyage breaking the lid of a full bottle of liquid smoke seasoning. When we got to the campground, I went inside to get something and it smelled like a smokehouse. I didn't mind too much but the DW didn't like it at all. We had things in small bins, but with all the extra room we have compared to the old TT, everything slides around. We bought two rolls of rubberized material and covered most cabinet shelves. I also made some adjustments on the door latches, but I like the idea of bungy/ball cords on the handles. Also, a shelf in the fridge got bend coming home from leftovers in a crock pot. Oh yea, and the glass lid on the crock pot broke too from bouncing. We bought a crock pot with clamps on the lid, and I'm going to install some pvc pipe in the fridge to support the shelves. Man I get long winded on this forum. But I just love reading and sharing with you great people. Can't wait to meet some of you at rallies!
beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:15 AM   #14
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I have the 07 and after putting the non skid stuff under the dishes above the sink I still had things busting and flying around in there. I finally abandoned the cabinet above the sink and the lazy susan cabinet. I had to rebuild the shelves next to the stove after they crashed on a trip last month. I think some of us have a unit that bounces more than others. I travel the same road every time to the same camp ground. It is smooth interstate from house to camp. I have never had a problem with the drawer under the fridge but check it every time we stop before sliding out. Even with these issues I wouldn't have another floor plan. I have learned to live around them. I do understand your frustration though.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:49 AM   #15
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I tow my 3000rk with an 04 dodge 1 ton with a QC,, 8' box, and i did all of the above, but when I put shocks on it eleminated the problems. It was either spend the money or get rid of the rig. DW is now very happy with her rear kitchen
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:57 PM   #16
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We have one with "moving" problems I just found out. On an easy trip up I-5 from Portland, OR to our storage place in Lynden, WA I though all was OK. After picking up the 3000RK for our Thanksgiving trip back to Portland DW found one of her Corel plates had "exploded." One plate broken and 1/2 of the shards were on the top plate and also under the forth one down. Don't know how they ended up like that. They are in the cupboard above the sink.
We are going to try the paper plate between the glass plate idea. I had already installed the rubber mat on the shelf.
This unit sure seems to bounce around more than our SOB we had. But we really do like it.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:45 AM   #17
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
If you are going to use glass plates and etc, use the rubber shelf liner between them also. You don't need full pieces just strip to lift it off the other plate below!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:13 AM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ditto Rondo sentiments.

Don't have to buy fancy dancy stuff precut for this (aka EXPENSIVE)

Just get some shelf liner and cut. I have circles for the plates, and strips for the bowls. 5 plus years, rear kitchen, no breakage, none.

On EDIT: We have corelle plates and bowls.

Good luck.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #19
diamondg
Established Member

M.O.C. #5903
Send a message via ICQ to diamondg Send a message via AIM to diamondg
We've also got a 2008 Montana 3000RK. We've had the same issue with the drawer under the refrigerator. My husband put a second drawer pull above the original one, and uses a strap to hold the two together which keeps it from opening. Before the strap it had come open at a dealers when it was in for some maintenance, and they damaged the slides on the drawer itself when they opened the slide and caught the drawer. They repaired it at no charge. Another issue is the drawer under the sofa. It comes open almost every time we go down the road. There's only a couple of blankets in it, so it's just annoying more than anything. Does anyone have a suggestion for the sofa drawer? The most annoying problem we've had is the fact that all three of the water lines under the stairs, and behind the heaters were not tight at the joints, and we had leaks 3 different times until we finally went in the basement, and got back in there and tightened every single connection there was. It was like they were only half connected. Not a pleasant way to get to know your Montana.
diamondg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #20
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I have the antiskid matting between every plate in that top cabinet but have still had correll exlplsions on trips. I think some of them just bounce a little moe than others in the rear kitchen. I have learned to live with it and move all of the plates up above the sofa. It seems the only area that bounces really bad is the very back end of the trailer so I am trying different locations for breakable items.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote