Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
12 volt problem in big slider

All of a sudden Ive lost my 12 volt lights in my big slide. Has anyone had this problem? I cant tell if the circuit is good or not , the fuze is ok but the red light doesnt come on when the fuze is pulled, any help will be appreciated......Dave

Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The red light will not come on, when the fuse is pulled, unless there is a demand for 12VDC. Try turning on and off one of the light switches with the fuse pulled. If the LED light comes on then the fuse is bad. Since it is in the slide I would like at the junction box outside under the slide. I believe on the rear end of the slide mounted to the frame. See if water and/or corrosion has taken its tole. If that is not the problem then you have to pull each 12 light and check for a loose wire. Let us know what you find.

Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:53 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
yep, what John says about UNDER the slide!!!

and check all connections, won't hurt even if the trouble is under the slide.

Good luck, let us know what you find.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:16 AM   #4
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Dave, we had the same problem. It was the connection of the 12v wires to the slude.

Dick
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Thanks for the help guys(and gals) the problem was ,as stated with the 12volt wires under the rear of the slide. BUT, heres the answer, they are not in that nice junction box back there,The wires run behind the box and under the metal "curving". If you take out a few of the sheetmetal screws, you find the 12 wires just running along the frame unprotected for a few feet befor the go into some plastic conduit. This ia where they can rub against the swcrews,and in my case ,shorted out. BUT! now I have full 12volt and some fancy new LED lights to show off at Quartzsite!! thanks for the help ........Dave
Old 11-17-2008, 11:49 PM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Great news, you found it and fixed it. Pictures please of the LEDs.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
John; hate to admit this, but dont know how to send pictures! when we get to Quartzsite, I'll have one of our great internet Guru's send them out. tested them and they seem very good not quite as bright but draw almost Zippo...................Dave