Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #21
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Phil: Sorry to read about this....Betty and I were just talking about the possibilities of that happening and I told her I'm always carefully about making sure we're hitched properly. If it happened to you it could happen to us too. Thanks for sharing.

steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #22
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Phil and Cathy -
Sorry to hear about the Pull Test problem. I guess that it was caught just enough not to come out, but not enough to stay when you pulled out. At least you weren't going down the road at the time. I had an issue today with a tree. Tried getting into a seasonal sight in a pine grove. I will be doing some buffing tomorrow. Have a safe trip the rest of the way. Remember, no one got hurt. At least you can fix things.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #23
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I just pucker whenever I read one of these . Sorry to hear Phil, and hope you can get your truck fixed soon. I backed into my pin box with the tailgate up years ago and had the wear the wound for almost a month before it could be scheduled to get fixed. Probably harder for you on the road.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:08 AM   #24
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
OUCH!!!! and on a brand new Chevy at that.

So very sorry to hear this happened.
BTW, there is a pretty good Chevy dealership just a mile or so down the road from our CG and the manager of our CG has a son with a body shop and a Cambridge owner here in the park also has a body shop in the immediate area. Just a few options should you want to stay in the area such as at Avalon RV Park.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:15 AM   #25
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by firetrucker

Phil, I've had a partial closing of the hitch when I've gotten the pin too far to the side of the opening or higher than it should be. I listen for the clack that indicates the lock has seated, though, and I always make sure the handle is locked, too. If I don't hear that clack, I pull free and make sure I'm properly lined up before I try again.

I hope there isn't a design flaw with the hitch, but I realize where that suggests the design flaw is. Finger pointing should always be done in front of a mirror, it keeps one humble.

Glad to hear it wasn't worse.

Bob
Bob, I think that is exactly what happened. I was a little off center when I pulled in and thought is was locked. I will always double check the handle now to make sure it is in the proper position.

Not to sound casual, but we have planned for "on the road repairs" financially, but it still hurts to see the truck that way. Accidents and mistakes will always rear their ugly heads, as long as no one gets hurt then life goes on.

Dennis, I guess I didn't pull hard enough when doing the test. I don't like to pull too hard as you are pulling against the landing gear on the ground and I have seen enough landing gear problems by folks here at the service center. I will be more careful in the future, that probably goew without saying.

Y'all be careful out there and safe travels to everyone.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:17 AM   #26
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Phil I have searched several sites that have the bed saver, no luck so far on the Trailer Saver, sorry. I will keep looking... Dave
Dave, Blue Ox doesn't make one for my hitch, at least their website doesn't list one. I may call them tomorrow to double check. Thanks for your interest....
Old 10-05-2008, 02:27 AM   #27
catsR4me
Established Member

M.O.C. #6762
Phil didn't mention that it was me behind the wheel. After attending the ladies driving class at the rally, I was excited about taking a turn at driving. He said everything was ready to go, I jumped in the driver's seat, put it in drive, and BAM! Well, guess who won't be driving unless it's a out-and-out dire emergency?!!!!!!!!

Cathy
catsR4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:56 AM   #28
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Being a little off center makes sense, I have read several posts about drops (here and on other forums) and a lot of them pass the straight pull test but dropped on a turn out of the parking space or campground. I will watch for a straight lineup from now on.. Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:28 AM   #29
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Phil,

We don't do the pull test with the landing legs touching the ground. We have them up just a bit, but with 4 inches of wood still below on the ground (sorta a landing pad)

Our take on this is, with the 4 inches of wood under there, we raise the legs just a little, like about 4 inches above that wood. BUT, if the pull test fails, the 4 inches of wood should keep the trailer from hitting the truck, as the landing legs will land on that wood before the nose hits the truck. (That is a really poor description, sorry. )

Anyway, this allows us to pull during the pull test a bit more aggressively.

Just something for you to consider.

Again, sorry bout the booboo on the truck and your unit.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:09 AM   #30
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Phil and Cathy,

So sorry to hear about your misfortune.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:10 AM   #31
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I never tug pulled with the landing legs touching the ground. Only 1/2 inch of clearance is needed on the landing gear for a tug test. Less chance of dropping to far and still damaging the landing gear or TV if not hooked properly.

Better, as stated, is bed saver or pin lock.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:17 AM   #32
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Phil, the pin lock head may work but if I remember correctly your table is rounded on the edges so I am not sure it will work either... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:13 AM   #33
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
So sorry to hear about your mishap. I never use the pull test as my final decision as to go ahead and pull the trailer down the road. I hook up, hear the distintive click, then do a pull test. This lets me know that I have the pin inside the jaws and they appear locked enough to hold the trailer to the hitch. If it releases, I know something is wrong. After doing the pull test, I then get out and give a visual on the handle being in the proper position and not hanging out a little bit, I then get under the nose and look at the jaws to see that they are completly closed around the pin. I drove truck and trailer for 25 years at UPS and hooked up to at least 12 trailers every night. I never once pulled the trailer without getting out after doing a pull test and visually inspecting the pin being locked in. I have done the pull test before and on looking, noticed the jaws not completely locked around the pin. I know you dont need a lesson after dropping your trailer and I am truely sorry for the damaged done on your rig. I just hope everyone understands, the pull test is only one step in making sure you are hooked up and not the final step in making sure you are hooked up to go on the road.
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:19 AM   #34
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
So sorry to hear about the drop!
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #35
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Cathy,

I hope you don't let this mishap stop you from driving! It could have happened to anyone. It sounds like it would have happened, even if Phil had been the one doing the driving!!

Kathy
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #36
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Sorry for your mishap. Will be leaving Gatlingburg Tuesday and will be sure to do a pull test as well as a visual. A bed saver is on my list.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #37
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Phil & Cathy, Sorry to hear that you dropped your Monty on your new TV. We are very thankful that there weren't any injuries. You can always fix the property damage.

One consolation Phil, your accident makes all of us think about it every time we hitch up. I know it does for me.

Be safe and enjoy your trip.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #38
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks for the condolences and suggestions. Today, after we hitched and I checked the handle in the proper position, we raised the landing gear about 1/2 inch off the ground and THEN did the pull test. Thinking back on the event, several people at the Center were having trouble with landing gears, the Keystone guys even bent at least one while we were there on Bill & Lisas rig and they had to replace the entire gears plus the motor. I guess I didn't want to push that gear back so far when I did the test. Never thought about lifting the gear a little first, That's a great idea and one I will be using from here on out.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #39
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Been there! Done that!

I can say I feel you're pain. Hope you get everything taken care of ok.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:36 AM   #40
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
Phil,
We have the Signature Reese Hitch and there's no bed saver available for it either. We had a hard time seeing whether the lock was engaged so my husband painted it white. It's MUCH easier now to see the lock. I don't know why the manufacturers don't paint it but guess the extra 50 cents is too hard on their budget
Judy
judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote