Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #21
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Can anyone enlighten me on what "the nanny state whiners" is referring to? I've not heard this one before.

I feel that if the MFG ran tests and knew that the chemical levels were dangerous AND did not notify the government or the people that might be effected then they have can and must be held accountable.

If there is no clear data on this issue then they probably should not be held accountable. And Congress should establish what is and is not dangerous and pass laws that protect folks from any and all such dangerous chemicals. All as they relate to RV construction.

HamRad
Well, I thought the OP of that would post the definition. I had to look it up myself when it was posted. Here is the Wikipedia definition; Nanny state is a derogatory term that refers to state protectionism, economic interventionism, or regulatory policies, and the perception that these policies are becoming institutionalized as common practice.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #22
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
As the originator of this topic, I sure would appreciate it if we could get back to the original question. My concern is that this is heading into an abys that has the possibility of hurting the sense of community we have here at MOC. Please try to avoid this at all costs. My view of this Formaldehyde concern, partially based on Montana owner's answers/experiences provided here in this thread, is that it is a concern that has been totally blown out of proportion, in Congress, in an attempt to achieve political gain. Yes, there is the possibility of harm if the unit is not properly vented and prepared. So we as Montana owners need to do what is necessary to reduce the conditions which may cause too high of levels. Those whose medical conditions cause them to be more sensitive need to make an extra effort in this regard. So my conclusion for most of us: Nothing major to worry about but be aware. Thanks for your cooperation.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:57 PM   #23
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Well stated, Dean, hobby horses are inflammatory. I seems that neither side is listening to the other, because the horse rider is determined to smash any contrary thought by sarcasm and ridicule. Staying on topic could be very helpful, but many are not inclined to do so.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:39 AM   #24
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
ols1932,

I'm a bit confused Orv. You state that your sister did NOT ask for any help from the government but then you indicate that she stayed in a FEMA trailer. Would not the FEMA trailer be assistance from the government?

I'm very happy that your sister had the foresight and means to be able to afford a new home. Not all of us are have that kind of talent.

I know some posts have tended to put the blame on the victims of this terrible event but there was a failure to provide basic living conditions by the various governments. There is a difference between "whiners" and people asking for basic necessities to survive.

I was not there so I do not know how things actually were but I have a pretty good idea from all the press coverage. When we suffer from a major earthquake here in California I hope and pray that the various governmental agencies perform better than they did in NO. There I go whining again! Just kidding folks.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote