Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
Papalr
Established Member

M.O.C. #8618
Fantastic vent fan location

I'm new to this forum, but since we will probably be purchasing our first 5th wheeler in the next several days (a 2009 Montana 2955), I thought this would be the best place to start. I would like some opinions on where to have the fantastic vent installed. All the models we looked at had them installed next to the ceiling fan in the living room. We would like to have it installed in the bedroom but are unassure how noisey they are, do they cycle on and off. We figured without the 2nd A/C installed in the bedroom, it would help to keep the bedroom cooler, but don't want something that's going to be loud. Any input from users would help us since we are competely new to these fans.

Papalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:Papalr Posted - Jul 08 2008 : 12:04:57 AM
I'm new to this forum, but since we will probably be purchasing our first 5th wheeler in the next several days (a 2009 Montana 2955), I thought this would be the best place to start. I would like some opinions on where to have the fantastic vent installed. All the models we looked at had them installed next to the ceiling fan in the living room. We would like to have it installed in the bedroom but are unassure how noisey they are, do they cycle on and off. We figured without the 2nd A/C installed in the bedroom, it would help to keep the bedroom cooler, but don't want something that's going to be loud. Any input from users would help us since we are competely new to these fans.
First of all, welcome to MOC. You have come to the right place.

We have a 3650RK(Rear Kitchen) with living room in the middle and the entrance door. As you described, we have the ceiling fan and fantastic fan in the living room. Yes it does make a fair amount of noise(depending how fast the fan is running - manually or set by temperature. As the inside temperature meets the temperature setting of the FF it will slow down or even stop. If it has a rain sensor, the fan will stop & close. We have the front and rear vents and/or windows open when we run the Fantastic Fan and it(FF) blows out while the front & rear suck fresh air in. My FF can't be reversed to blow into the trailer. I have never thought about putting the FF in the bedroom, but you could.

Hope this helps to answer your questions.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
We have a 2007 2955 RL and I bought a small table fan, which I put on the bureau at the "lowest" fan speed to move air around the bedroom.

My wife and I also find the "noise" of fan soothing to sleep.

We also have only the one AC in the living area and it keeps our "home" comfortable with outside temps as high as the mid to upper 90's -- which is generally all we will see here in the Northeast.

It's generally not the heat, its the humidity I want to control.
rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:50 AM   #4
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We have a 2008 2955 and have 2 Fantastic fans one in the kitchen area and one by the shower plus the 2nd A/C. We find that the bedroom is to warm at night that is why we have the 3nd A/C. When the temp is cooler we use the FF. Also use it to remove the moisture from the shower.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:29 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Papalr,
A hearty welcome to the forum!! Keep in mind that if the primary purpose of the fantastic fan is to expel heat, that heat rises. Therefore the logical location of the fantastic fan is the highest point on the interior. I believe this is the reason that ours is mounted near the kitchen (the highest ceiling point on a 3400). Others have mounted them next to the shower for humidity control when showering. Keep in mind also that if the A/C is running it is designed as a closed system, meaning that the interior air is what is cooled in a recycling manner, therefore I believe it lessens the efficiency of the A/C if the fan is running simultaneously. Obviously your location should fit your needs and preferences, therefore what I would suggest is find a unit with a fantastic fan, stand under it and turn it on and judge the noise for yourself. Food for thought and hope it helps!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:31 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have a 3400 and we put a fan near the shower to help with moisture control. We also have one near the front door and kitchen. We use the main fan at night and the bathroom shower when we shower. Works great.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:54 AM   #7
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
We have new unit on order and like exav8tr's above post we placed two Fantastic Fans in the same locations.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:21 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We had 3 vent locations on our 3485. The 1 in the bedroom got a 2nd AC. The 1 in the bath and the 1 in the livingroom/kitchen got Fantastic vents. Both have the MaxxAir power vent covers. The covers allow us to run the Fantastics in all weather conditions. While traveling we run both Fantastic vents as we run down the hiway making the trailer a bit cooler when you have to pull off for a pit stop. They also help tremendously while getting set up in a CG. The 2 Fanastics help keep the trailer a cooler until we can get 1 or both ACs on.

Yes on Hi they can be a bit noisy but this noise is easily controlled with the thermostat.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:56 AM   #9
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
We have had rigs with the fan in the bedroom. Sometimes the noise would get to us, other times it was great white noise to block out traffic, noisy campers etc. Our present rig has an AC in the bedroom and the FF in the living room and bath. (Our is a FL) We use a small counter mounted fan in the bedroom now to move air which is a requirement for DW. For some reason our BR seems to heat up at night. Probably due to being a small space with us and the 'kids' in it. In comparison to many of the other things you will buy for the Monty over the years, the FF is cheap and If I had a vent, I would stick a fan in it. You can always open the vent but not have the fan running.
Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #10
Fiver Get You Ten
Established Member

M.O.C. #8419
Another vote for 2 AC and 2 FF. If you have them and don't need at any given time you can always turn all/some off. I have never heard anyone say that they had too many of either!
Fiver Get You Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #11
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Welcome! As a fellow new owner I have found this forum invaluable. I check in every day and not one goes by that I don't learn something new.

I ordered one fan for the bathroom for humidity control. If I had my time back I would also have ordered one for the bedroom. I find that the ceiling fan in the LR moves enough air to be comfortable. The bedroom gets a bit stuffy. I don't need a second A/C but if I can find a way to install a second fan without a whole lot of tear-up I will. The bedroom is wired for a second A/C but this doesn't help as the fan's are 12v. Anyone have any suggestions?
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Papalr

First, welcome to the forum. I believe you'll be happy with what you find here. We have a 3555RL and have three Fantastic Fans installed. The one in the bedroom is our number one fan. It will draw air in from the living room window and expel it out in the bedroom. Then, if and when we need more air, we turn on the one in the living room (it is located right above the ceiling fan). Boy, you talk about air movement! However, when the air outside is 111° moving that kind of air doesn't do much for cooling. We swear by our fans. Our third one is located in the bathroom. We didn't like the dinky fan that comes in the rig's bathroom (too noisy and doesn't move much air). So, we decided to install the FF there also. Haven't been sorry.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #13
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
We have a 2007 3400RL, bought this last winter. Before the 5er left the dealers lot, I had another fantastic fan mounted in the bedroom right next to the shower. It replaced the standard vent that was there. We also wanted it for the moisture control, plus ventilating the bedroom. The other fantastic fan that came with the 3400 was already installed over the kitchen area, right in front of the steps to the BR. Here in Oregon, the temps don't get that radical to warrant another AC. Those two fans move air like crazy. When the 5er is just sitting, I leave the two living room windows open a crack. So much air moves through there even with the fans running slow to medium that you could almost "freeze." The fans are not that noisy, less so than the AC by far. I'm considering putting one in the utility trailer I have for ventilation, they work so well.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote