Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2008, 05:25 AM   #1
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Scratches on Side

The Trees near my home are hanging lower and lower with new growth. When I came home a couple of days ago a lemb scratched the right side of the Montana. Didn't make a deep mark, just a mark.
Any advice on how to refinish or repair the mark?
Thanks to all my Monty friends for you help in the past.
Danny

dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:39 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Does your rig have the gel-coat protection?? If so, I would say that the scratch will buff out (at least on boats they will.) If it is scratched into the fiberglass, that is a different animal, but I believe I would still try to buff it out with an orbital buffer. Hope this helps, I don't have any experience with this since I treat scratches as character marks!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:36 AM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I had the same thing, brushed a tree on the way out of a campground. Put fairly deep rubs in the gel coat, the aluminum bottom trim and the wheel well plastic trim. I used Gel Gloss, available at CW, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Pink Label w/Blue Letters. Used a soft rag and plent of the gelgloss, it rubbed out the scratches in all the surfaces. Later I used it on a neghbors motor home, rubbed out some scratches that the dealer was going to charge $250.00 to rub out, took about 30 seconds. I now use it on any mark or scratch, it really works great.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
If it's not too deep normally what ever you put on your truck/car will take it off.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
William O. Phillips
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8088
Try Scratch Out by Kit car wax. Great stuff! A friend showed my how to use in on scratches and those nasty films that form on plastic headlight covers. I use it all the time! Comes in a small yellow container in the car wax area. All discounters carry it.

Maguires also makes a scratch remover - more expensive and not as good.....

Bill
William O. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:46 AM   #6
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
I use the Gel-Gloss. Made for fiberglass and gelcoats. Has worked great, there are a couple of types, a wash with wax, and a cleaner that is used like a wax product, Use the cleaner, you know the drill, wax on, wax off grasshopper

It has worked the best so far for me both on this rig and the badly oxidized MH I had before the Monty. It even took off the tire marks from the tread loss incident a few weeks ago. I use the wash when ever I wash the rig which isn't too often being most campgrounds prohibit it. The cleaner does a great job on bugs also which seem to be an endless chore on the front cap...
Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I would not use any automotive type product on fiberglass or gel. There was a lengthy thread on this by Rich - and the automotive products to more harm than good on the gelcoat.

Use a product designed for fiberglass. Marine or RV products work great.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

I would not use any automotive type product on fiberglass or gel. There was a lengthy thread on this by Rich - and the automotive products to more harm than good on the gelcoat.

Yep stay away from any thing that has a petrolium base it will attack you decals glue and cause them to curl, then you have a much bigger problem.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Yep stay away from any thing that has a petrolium base it will attack you decals glue and cause them to curl, then you have a much bigger problem.
Many auto polishes are designed for fiberglass (boats/RVs). I've been using Nu Finish for years on my fiberglass toys...it specifically states it is okay for fiberglass, it also says not to use it on vinyl, simulated wood, flat paint or metalized plastic trim.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:27 AM   #10
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
When you are talking about the surface of the Monty are you including the Filon as fiberglass. I do not have that option of the get coat. Any way to get scratches out of the Filon?
RKassl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:59 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bob,

With the Filon, there is even more emphasis on making sure you use a wax and cleaner suitable for fiberglass. Our first rig was Filon and I had reaonable success getting the surface marks off from branches using a boat wax. The only downside is, you'll end up waxing the whole rig. It's amazing how much it shows when you just do one spot.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #12
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
DH almost took out our mailbox at the stick house and we used a product called Dry Wash & Guard to clean and polish. It's engineered to work on cars, boats, and almost any surface that isn't textured and black. To my surprise, it took out the scratches and rub marks left on both the sides and the gel coat end cap. And bsmeaton, you're absolutely right about doing only one spot--Wow did it shine! Now Bill has no excuse not to keep the Monty shiny as it doesn't take any water and the CGs can't complain.
Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote