Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2008, 01:01 AM   #21
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I went with the Michelins and I am hapy and at peace when I travel.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #22
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

I don't understand!
What's this mean?
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/g614rst.html
This is a trailer tire.
Does your trailer have the 7000K axles?
If it does,it's rated for 110 PSI.
I have the 3400RL that had the Missions on it and the rims were rated at 80Lbs.

BTW,The GY Marathon is another Chinese bomb!

Jack
Jack,
I have 6000 lb axles but do not know what the rims are rated at. Is there an easy way to find out?

Is there an easy way to tell which tires are produced in China? You say the Good Year Marathon is so how about the GY G614? is it produced somewhere other than China?

Lonnie, how can we tell which are good tires or bad?
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #23
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
If you have the 6000 lb. axles they may not be rated for the Goodyear G614's. Most likely your rims are rated at 80 lbs.
Here's the person you can e-mail or call and talk to her about it.
Personally,if it were me and the axles were 6000lbs rated I'd go with the Michelin Ribs,their made in the USA.
If you look at the Marathons Bill,their stamp on the side made in China.
The 614's are also made in the USA.
To put your mind at ease,call Tredit and talk to Missy Rodgers about your rims,and also we are lucky enough to have Lonnie and Glenn
for expert advice.
Missy Rogers
Inside Sales Manager
Tredit Tire & Wheel Co.
57941 Charlotte Ave.
Elkhart, IN 46517
574/293-0581 ext. 110
574/294-3239 (fax)
mrogers@tredittire.com
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #24
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Remember my post with pictures on the rims. They were stamped on the inside 80 PSI, but there was a sticker on the inside stating 110 PSI. Go figure. The thread on this states that Keystone wanted them rated for 110 psi. Now how does a rim stamped 80 psi become a rim stickered at 110 psi? I'm not sure I would trust mine at 110 psi.

The information on your rims should be stamped or marked on the inside of the rim and noticable when you take the tire off.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #25
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Anyone have experience with Freestar tires? This is what Tireco sent me as replacements today. If they are not a good tire then I am going to see if I can trade them up somewhere and pay the difference for a better tire.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #26
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I am sure they are sending me the same thing, but I will run them for the summer and then choose the tires for replacement this winter. Looking hard at Michelins or Lonnies suggestion of Bridgestones. We run both of those brands at the mine so I am sure that if they are good enough for 300 ton trucks that they should suffice for a measly 7 ton Montana???
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #27
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:
quote:Lonnie, how can we tell which are good tires or bad?
Bill, that's a good question, one I wish I could answer for everyone. However, the fact of the matter is, what works very well for some, may not work at all for others.

I'm not going to come right out and say all ST rated tires, or all Chinese made tires, are junk. What I will say is this. Being a tire dealer, I buy and sell several thousand tires every year. I see, on a regular basis, the types of tires that stand up to the punishment trailers dish out, and I also see the types that don't handle it as well. I, being a tire dealer, can put any tire I want under my trailers. Cost isn't really an issue, as I can get a really good deal on any brand, or type, I want. My choice is a commercial light truck tire, more specifically the Bridgestone Duravis R500, size LT235/85R16 load range E. If I were travelling 15 or 20 thousand miles a year, I would probably choose the Michelin XPS Rib in the same size and load range, and if weight were an issue, I would choose the Goodyear G614 in the same size but with a G load rating. Will I ever put ST rated tires back under my Montana? Not even if I were going to sell it.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #28
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Lonnie what is the maximum time you should keep tires on your trailer even if the tread is still good.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:46 AM   #29
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Quote:
quote:Lonnie what is the maximum time you should keep tires on your trailer even if the tread is still good.
Most all tires start to deteriorate between 4 and 5 years old. This doesn't mean you need new tires every 4 years, just that you need to pay really close attention to them after that age. I've seen tires on vehicles and trailers that were 6 years old, and still in good shape. I've also seen tires less than 4 years old that didn't look so good. To answer the question more directly, 7 years would be the absolute maximum I personally would run any tire, no matter how good it looked.

Proper care and maintenance is the key to longevity with tires, just as it is with the rest of your rig. The more they are neglected, or abused, the sooner they will fail. Keep them at the proper air pressure, keep them clean, stay within the speed and load rating of the tire, and when parking for an extended period, park on boards in a well drained area. One other thing, always repair any mechanical problems that will effect tire wear as soon as possible. For example, bent axles, alignment, wheel bearings, and sping problems.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:30 AM   #30
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I received tires from Tireco yesterday, they are Milestar? So, we will see how these perform. Tireco was very easy to do business with and was somewhat pleasant.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #31
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
Another question for LonnieB - what about us folks running 15" on our Mountaineer TT's? My 305FKS is an '04 model and came equipped with Maxxis ST225-75R15 radials - LR "D". Since the coach date of manufacture is December '03 - I am sure these tires are at least 5 years old - I will have to crawl under to see the date code. I have always kept them covered, parked on boards and properly inflated. Plus, just being "part timers, I doubt we have more than a few thousand miles on them. These are chinese made - but haven't had any trouble with them - yet.
I am leaning on moving to the Bridstone's next year when replacing these. I feel I should go to 10 plys for the safety margin.
Advise please - thanks
Ed Benson
Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #32
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Ed, when it comes to 15 inch trailer tires, the Maxxis is one of the good ones. As for going with a 10 ply tire next time, I'm afraid you are most likely out of luck. As far as I know, 15 inch radial 10 ply tires aren't available. I believe Maxxis used to make one, but I'll have to do some research to see if they still do.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #33
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I went with Lonnie B. tires, Bridgestone I believe.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #34
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Ed,Titon and Carliel both make a load rage E they are fighting to see who can be the WORST in the trade! Maybe Lonnie B can come up with a better brand ----Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #35
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
Thanks for the information Lonnie & Dave. I have no reason to want to go away from the Maxxis brand - even though I will have to travel south to a Utah dealer chain to acquire them when I buy the next set.

Happy RV'ing everyone!

Ed
Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote