Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Handling weather

That Christmas gift our daughter gave us came into play. Television reports indicated that we were under a tornado watch and that it was headed our way. Just as it started raining, I made a decision to unplug the RV and move to the campground office. That is the only substantial building around.

As we left, I grabbed the NOAA weather radio with the wind up battery in it and away we went. About a minute of winding would keep it broadcasting for about 8 minutes. So we had an up to date broadcast of weather information and when the alerts ended we went back to the Monty. Getting info is better than being uninformed. The radio worked as advertised.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Stiles, We always carry our NOAA weather radio. Ours uses two AA batteries as a backup for 1l0 volt.
You just have to know what county you are in before the alarm goes off.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hugh, I have a battery cavity and a 110v adapter, but the crank is so easy, I don't bother with the batteries and can't always find the receptacle to plug in.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Living in Oklahoma I wouldn't head to the lake without mine.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:02 AM   #5
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
We have had one of these alert radios with us since day one. They definitely keep you informed. We would not travel without one.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:19 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We have NOAA in our CB radio. So long as the radio is turned on we will receive weather alerts. Even if we are on the CB the weather alert feature will beep us of any alerts. We simply slide the switch to NOAA and it will automatically pick the strongest of 7 signals. Even in Gettysburg we picked up a storm warning which didn't really develope but at least we were aware of any possibility.

We bought the CB at Radio Shack and when we are on the road the CB is always turned on and even if the volume is turned down we will hear the beeps.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:25 AM   #7
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
The NOAA radio is a must. I leave it on to receive all alerts around the area where we are camping. This allows me to visualize how the weather is building. I feel that this gives me an extra information edge to anything developing.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:18 AM   #8
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Stiles, good to hear you are well protected. That was one ugly storm last night. We were thinking of you as we watched that wall cloud. I was out in the yard often to eyeball what was being shown on TV. Sure glad you sustained no damage. We,too, had no damage but did unplug the electronics. Bob and Karen
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:49 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also carry our NOAA radio and take the weather very seriously. I'm not sure whether Stiles was experiencing a tornado warning or a tornado watch so thought I'd mention the difference for those who do not live in tornado country.

A tornado watch is nothing other than an announcement that conditions are such that a tornado could develop. It's no different than a thunderstorm watch except, obviously, if the subject matter does develop the tornado is likely more serious. When a tornado watch is announced you should take note of what you will do if a tornado develops, where you will go. Then you go about your business, keeping an ear on the radio or tv and an eye on the sky. Actually, those of us who lived in tornado alley generally regard a watch as only informational and we go about our daily lives, just staying alert for further weather developments. Tornado watches are a frequent occurence in the midwest.

A tornado warning means a tornado has been sighted. That's when you take cover and wait it out. If the area has tornado sirens, they will sound them when a tornado threatens that area. And the NOAA radio will also let you know.

As always, if in doubt, err to the side of caution. Being cautious is never a bad thing.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:09 AM   #10
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Okie Guy

Living in Oklahoma I wouldn't head to the lake without mine.
I will definitely get one before we head out to Gore, Oklahoma next week. I checked the Best Buy website and they have a few for sale. One is an Eton model with the hand crank and built in flashlight for $60.00. Thanks for the thread!

Lou
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:47 AM   #11
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Wouldn't be without the NOAA weather radio. It has come in handy a couple of times already. It's on right now and I am listening to the warnings for areas about 10 miles north of us. Definitely a "must have" for anyone!!!!
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:00 PM   #12
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
We utilize a 'First Alert' that will work on 110 volts or batteries. I use rechargeable batteries and am able to take it in the truck as we travel. When I plug it back in it recharges the batterires. My biggest problem is knowing where I am when the alert comes on. I frequently have no idea of the county and have to rely on cities mentioned and looking at a map. If it sounds real serious I will spent the time to get the information off the laptop so I have a better idea what I could be dealing with. When stopped I usually plug in the S.A.M.E. codes for where I am so I don't have alerts from other areas adding to my confusion. I would recommend that anyone traveling -especially this year with how crazy the weather has been- have a radio of some type to keep up on the weather where they are...
Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:05 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have a good weather radio that is both 110 and batt. However, the fastest instrument I have is my cell phone. I have a weather program - radar, forecasts, etc from Alltel. All cell companies have these Brew applications for about $4.00 a month.

My cell phone will start ringing in the middle of the night if there is an alert - instantaneously with the National Weather Service's first broadcast. I always keep my phone on while charging at night. Also most major weather websites will send you text alerts (free except for the text message charge) that you can set your phone to ring to in the middle of the night - or whenever - to alert you.

This is handy as you have an alert system (cell) even if you are driving in you vehicle.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:26 AM   #14
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
DOn't come to Omaha to try to find one. Ours quit working and there are none to bes found since the tornado On sunday and I am sure there will be no hope in the near future since the Boy Scout camp 40 miles north of Omaha was destroyed last night by a tornado.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote