Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2008, 07:21 AM   #1
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Satelitte cable to bedroom

On my present '08 3500RL I have no cable for satellite to my bedroom TV. Has anyone run an additional cable that can give me some in site as to the best route to run

Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:26 AM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
On ours, the bedroom tv picks up the same satellite station as the front room tv. It is wired with the factory installed Satellite Prep package. Now, others have run another wire to the bedroom tv so that they could get another program than is on the front room tv.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:31 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If you have the antenna amplifier on (Green light in the bedroom closet) it may prevent the satellite signal from getting to the front tv. Just a though. I have not experimented with satellite yet.
cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There have been many discussions regarding this in the past. I will try to summarize the highlights from those. This is assuming the 2008 models are no different from the 2007 that we have. We have Directv and initially started with a single LNB dish. This type of dish will only provide the same channels to both sets provided the internal wiring is connected properly. Ours has an input panel inside the dvd cabinet with a jumper. The factory settings were for cable. To use the satellite we had to change the wiring scheme by trial and error to get the same signal to both sets. We then purchased a dual lnb head so that we could get different stations on the different sets. The setup to the living room tv used the coax-in connection in the outside convenience center as before and I ran the second cable via a flat cable through the bedroom window to a seperate Directv receiver box. I am planning on adding a coax connector for this near the front of the rig for this hopefully next week. We now have a three lnb dish that I have not used yet (until tomorrow) that should function the same as the dual only I will be able to have a separate wire running to the basement for our third tv. The hardest part is for each additional tv we have to bring another receiver from the house. Hope this helps, if not let us know and the forum will jump to your assistance.
Bingo
On edit: Dish Network works a little differently, so let us know which you have.

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
John is right. For satellite, the antenna booster (shown by a green light in bed room) must be off.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I ran a separate coax from the convenience center over to the floor underneath the sink in the bathroom, where I then ran the cox along the frame under the dresser. I bored a hole in the front of the cabinet drawers under the tv where igained access to the space behind the drawers. I bored a holed behind the tv and mounted a f connector for connection to the drv receiver. I purchased molding that covers the coax running along the floor between the dresser and the cabinet under the tv.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We did what Bingo did as far as the bedroom receiver. However, we can have the booster on when running DirecTV just not when running CG cable. On our receivers (RCA) there is a coonnection on the back that says in from antenna. If we hook this up to the antenna connection we can switch from Direct to antenna with the Direct remote. This makes it nice to get weather and news locally. It seems that a lt of our units are wired differently.
Happy trails............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
If you have Dish, you likely don't need a cable to feed the bedroom TV. But since you asked, I assume you have Direct TV and like BW2, I ran a cable from the Entertainment Center through the basement, up into the area under the dresser, and then into the closet. I have a 2955RL which is slightly different from your rig. I was able to run the cable through the boxed in area along the curb side floor all the way from where the up feed from the basement came in to the closet. I did have to cut two holes (one under the dresser and the other in the closet) for access while fishing the wires. They were covered up easily and there are no obvious signs of the cable.

I also replaced the external phone jack plug on the street side with a duplex RF connector. I use this for the feed from my dual LNB into the entertainment center. I added another duplex RF plate in the entertainment center that connects to the feed from the LNBs. This way I can have both Direct TV and the campground cable feed connected and usable at the same time.

Carl

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have DirectTV and have the local channels. When we get to a new campground, we call DirectTV, tell them the ZIP code and get the local channels for that area.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:22 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Could you tell me what satellite provider you are using, and the antenna?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:27 AM   #11
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
If you are asking me, we use DirectTV. We once had Dish but had too many problems. We use a portable dish on a tripod we got at CW.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:17 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I should have prefaced it with "FreedaII"

FreedII,
What provider do you use and what antenna?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #13
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I installed a video control center in the main area and used the existing television circuitry in the Monty(2006 3475RL) to provide different satellite signals to both televisions. Each television can control their channels regardless of the selected input--cable, antenna, or satellite. You will need a dual LND set up to do this. My satellite feeds are set up separately from the cable input in the basement. I did not have to run any additional cables to the bedroom.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #14
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
How are you setting your dish as we have direct tv in the house and a spare dish so i will take 1 box out of the house but how are you setting the dish, by guess or did you buy a rig from cw to set the rite spot john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
John,
We set ours by either the zip code (not always reliable) or using the longitude/latitude off of the GPS. Then the set up program on DirecTV gives us the coordinates. After a while, you get pretty good at determining where the right point in the sky is. Having the dish level is also really important. Sometimes it takes a bit of playing with it but we always get it. We have one of those gizmos but don't use it.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:31 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We still don't know if FreedaII is subscribed to DirectTV or DISH.

There is a very big difference in the functionality of the two.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #17
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
One thing everyone needs to remember is to check their cable ends. I had to replace 3 of my ends and my trailer is new. They mass produce these things and the person installing the cable to the tv puts on sloppy connectors.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:11 PM   #18
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I had the dealer run a separate cable to the bedroom TV. They put a cable hookup in the service center above the factory one and ran the cable across the top of the storage area, then up under the dresser and along the floor across to the w/d cupboard then up through the TV area to the satellite receiver. We can have two TVs on different channels.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:12 AM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
As Waynem has stated, all responders to the thread should clarify if they are Directv or Dish. There is a difference since I don't think Directv will allow two different channels on two different sets with one cable input. If this is different, then Directv has sure wasted a heck of a lot of coax on my four receiver installation at the stickhouse. I have four different sets of coax run to four different receivers.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:47 AM   #20
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

If you have Dish, you likely don't need a cable to feed the bedroom TV. But since you asked, I assume you have Direct TV and like BW2, I ran a cable from the Entertainment Center through the basement, up into the area under the dresser, and then into the closet. I have a 2955RL which is slightly different from your rig. I was able to run the cable through the boxed in area along the curb side floor all the way from where the up feed from the basement came in to the closet. I did have to cut two holes (one under the dresser and the other in the closet) for access while fishing the wires. They were covered up easily and there are no obvious signs of the cable.

I also replaced the external phone jack plug on the street side with a duplex RF connector. I use this for the feed from my dual LNB into the entertainment center. I added another duplex RF plate in the entertainment center that connects to the feed from the LNBs. This way I can have both Direct TV and the campground cable feed connected and usable at the same time.

Carl
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote