Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Interior vinyl carpet step protectors

I was told that there are vinyl type interior step protectors are made for the steps in the 5er's. I don't want to use that thin sticky stuff you buy on a roll but apparently there is something else more heavy duty. Perhaps it is like that stuff i have seen that looks like a runner and has "teeth" on the bottom to grip the carpet that you can use for high traffic areas to help protect it. I suppose you could just purchase some of that and cut it yourself but I believe I have only seen that in the dept. stores in the winter time. If there is something made just for RVs, I would really like to know about that.

I know some of you have used very beautiful rug runners but I think I want to try the vinyl type stuff first if there is such a thing. Does anyone know if there is and where I might find it???

TIA.

Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We use a clear plastic that we purchased at Wal~Mart. It was in the material section and we purchased it by the yard. We put it on the two steps...just tucked it under the wooden grill to stay in place.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
We found that Montana did not use padding on the steps and the carpet looked worn after a few months.
I pulled the carpet loose and used a piece of carpet padding then reattached the carpet.
5 years and the carpet still looks good.
You may want to check to see if you have a pad.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
We bought plastic carpet runner at Lowe's and cut to fit, then secured with upholstery tacks. Did that shortly after buying as we didn't want to wait and see how the carpet wore.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Now, I would not have thought of looking in the material dept. for that plastic stuff! Thank you. In the meantime, I finally found the actual clear vinyl stair protectors, after using the right combination of words, and ordered them on line.

Thank you SO much on the heads up on the possibility of no padding under the carpeting on the steps. I will be checking that out before the Cougar is ever moved.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
k0nsa
Established Member

M.O.C. #7073
Send a message via ICQ to k0nsa Send a message via AIM to k0nsa Send a message via Yahoo to k0nsa
I'm considering this stuff for when we get our new 3400, which the dealer now says will be around the 8th of June...

http://www.carpetsaver.com/
k0nsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:19 AM   #7
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I just got off the phone with Andy at Carpet Savers. Thanks Bill and Linda for posting that website! I am in desperate need of something in here due to all the mud outside. Trying to wipe off Mollys feet constantly can be difficult. I can just put down the Carpet Saver in strategic places, and it will cut down on my freaking out about the carpet...LOL Thanks again...

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:16 AM   #8
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
For a fast fix. I use old matching cloth place mats. They wash easily to use again and again on the steps. This keeps the carpet looking new.

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
k0nsa
Established Member

M.O.C. #7073
Send a message via ICQ to k0nsa Send a message via AIM to k0nsa Send a message via Yahoo to k0nsa
You're welcome! If that stuff works as well as the web site and customer testomonials say it does it should be perfect. We have two Labrador Retrievers so we also have to worry about paws tracking in dirt/mud/etc. You'll have to let us know what you think of the carpet saver when you get it in.

Good luck!
k0nsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:05 AM   #10
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Is that carpet saver stuff thick or thin? I looked it up and couldn't tell.
I need runners in a couple of spots but don't want it bunching up on me.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:08 AM   #11
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
I purchased our stair protectors through the following link. I just cut them to fit on the top two steps and the bottom step fit without having to make any adjustments to it. We have had them now for over a year and they work great. If you like, I could take a picture and post it.
Joy

http://building-materials.gillroys.c...r-s287741.html
MelsJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #12
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Joy, that looks exactly like what I ordered/bought from taylorgifts.com - I paid $9.98 for two. I realized after looking at the photos I took of the Cougar that I really will only need to use one though if I want as there is one step and then the next step up is actually the landing and I could use a rug there (if the bathroom door allows for it (to open/close without interfering) OR I could buy a roll of the same type of vinyl stuff that I saw at Walmart the other day. I know this will be a high traffic area coming in from outdoors to use the potty so want to protect it, although we will be taking our shoes off but still it will be walked on a lot.

Thank you so much for the info AND offering to take photos. That is SO nice of you! I really appreciate it. It is really nice to know too how well it has worked for you. Ya just never know until you try something unless someone else has had experience with a product. Glad to know too that you cut yours without issue as I am sure ours is going to be too wide. Did you just cut yours with sharp scissors?

Sandi
Old 05-05-2007, 03:45 PM   #13
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
Sandi,
Since we do live in our Montana, that stepway IS a VERY High Traffic area so I put the protectors on each stair including the landing on top as you can see. The protector on top actually fits around the end of the laundy chute door, I cut it so it would also overlap the side seams to help with keeping the (hot or cold, whichever it is at any given place) from seeping through the crack. I just used regular Kitchen Shears to cut them, but it wasn't really that easy, you need to have strong fingers (forwarned is forearmed)lol.

Anyway I went ahead and took a couple of pics to show you not just the protectors, but the brown throw rug also, it covers the entire landing from the stair to the laundry door and clears both the toilet and laundry doors easily. Have fun.
Joy

Old 05-05-2007, 04:30 PM   #14
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Joy thanks for the photos. So, is that white door to the right side of your steps your laundry chute ??? Your steps have much more depth to them than ours has. I imagine that would be safer. Our laundry shoot is in/under one step. Hopefully, a throw rug will work for us like it has you. That would be great. Wow, you have three steps. We have two, BUT we have a step in our bedroom and I bet you don't. It is at the foot of the bed, nearer my side, so I will be using it more (I guess more exercise for me). It works out well as far as height wise as I can stand up throughout the whole Cougar where husband has to lean a bit on my end of the bedroom, but I actually prefer the side I get, nearest the built in dresser, cupboards/cabinets, closet and TV.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:22 AM   #15
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
That is a trap door for the shower I believe. The chute is the top step on a Monty big door that has a big basket into the basement.

Joy, Where did you pick up your protectors?
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:17 AM   #16
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Tom Gina, if you go to the previous page (Page 1) of this thread, Joy posted a link. I got what appears to me to be the same ones and I posted that link as well.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:32 AM   #17
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
Sandi, the white door is as Gina said, just the access to the shower base. Our laundry chute is actually under the top step, I'll post that too so you can better see it.

Gina, the post with the link is only a few post prior to this one on the first page like Sandi said.

We have no steps other than the ones I showed in the pictures. The rug is a rubber backed rug that was flexible enough that I could cut around the shower to better fit. I still haven't binded the side I cut, (just lazy), but it doesn't fray too much yet.

here is a picture of the chute opened.