Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
moving rear stabilizer jacks--risky??

In the process of trying to figure out whether to go with a bike rack installed in the rear of our new Big Sky, it occurs to me that installing a bike rack back there would probably require moving the power rear stabilizer jacks forward in order to create enough space to bolt on the framework for a bike carrier. In that regard, I have a few questions about the feasibility of trying to move the rear stabilizer jacks closer to the trailer wheels.

First, is there any problem that I'm likely to experience if the jacks are moved forward. I'm assuming there is some reason that the jacks are put in the rear of the rigs, so I wonder what would be the consequences of moving them forward. And would it matter in that regard how far forward they were moved?

Second, if I later decide to go with something like the JT Strong Arm stabilizers to cut down on the rocking of the rig, would there be a problem trying to add them to the rear stabilizer jacks if the jacks have been moved forward? Also, since I have the power jacks on the Big Sky, is there much benefit to be gained by adding the JT Strong Arm cross bars to the rear jacks--seems to me that the power version of the OEM rear stabilizer jacks are pretty sturdy.

Thanks in advance for your help--I don't claim to understand much about what's going on there in the back of the rig.

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
David,

From what I just learned in the last few minutes:

It's no problem moving your jacks forward to accommodate the hitch. Ozz had to move them forward on his install, you might PM him.

Can't be sure on your rear stabilizers, but I assume they are the same BAL telescoping type as the Montana, only with a motor on the outside instead of the nut.

If you decide you want the JTs on the rear, and you have moved your jacks, you'll probably have to go forward of the jacks with a piece of angle iron 2" X 3" (your hitch will be in the way on the back). It will make it inconvenient to reach the T bolts, but should work. OR It might also be possible to mount the JTs directly to your hitch bar, which is probably going to be more stout than angle iron anyway.

Have fun!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I agree with Brad, I've been into the belly in the back and see no reason why you could not move the jacks forward some. Just to carry the bikes you may be able to find a hitch that will mount without moving the jacks.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
David, the rear bike rack I built did not move the stabilizers accept to put the tubing between the stabilizers and the frame. Nothing really changed except that the stabilizers are about 1 inch lower.

Rear Bike Rack
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
i see no reason to move the jacks ahead as i am putting on a rear bike rack and there is about 8 or 9" of frame behind the jacks so we bolted 2 2x2 lite wt iron to the frame the hitch people say thats all that is needed as those 2 members are about 3 " apart , thats plenty of beef
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Actually, Croft hitch co. here in K.C. stated that they move the jacks when installing the hitch I bought.
I crawled under there with my trusty tape and determined I would not have to move anything.
I installed my bolted on hitch kit and everything works just fine.
(I believe there would be no adverse effects if the stabilizers would be moved a few inches.)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:56 AM   #7
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Is there not enough room to remove them install hitch and then bolt them back onto the hitch bolt pattern?
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:18 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think they would hit the hitch with the swing up leg part, need to be a little distance between them, I don't think you could use the same bolt mount. But, I am still asleep, so I may be wrong......
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:35 AM   #9
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
I recently had a local hitch shop put a receiver on the back of our '05 3500RL and they did move the stabilizers forward a couple of inches. They unbolted the jacks and moved them forward enough to use the hole in the frame for the front bolt for the rear bolt on the jack. That way, they only had to drill a couple of holes instead of 4.
We've been out 3 times since then, and I can not tell any difference in the way the stabilizers steady the Montana, still feel the same as before.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:11 AM   #10
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Odd that this subject came up, BUT, while trying to stablize our unit more because of the washing machine when it spins out I tried stablizing right at the axle bearing between the wheels. When supported there the unit was much more stable. With the rear stablizers down, along with the axle stablizers, it was less stable. Now I may or may not even put down the rear stablizers, and if I do I adjust them to bearly touch the ground. Don't know why it works, but it does on ours.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:47 PM   #11
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sailer

i see no reason to move the jacks ahead as i am putting on a rear bike rack and there is about 8 or 9" of frame behind the jacks so we bolted 2 2x2 lite wt iron to the frame the hitch people say thats all that is needed as those 2 members are about 3 " apart , thats plenty of beef
John--Not sure if I understand what you are describing when you say the 2 members "are about 3" apart." Are you talking about a setup where you are bolting the hitch to either side of one side of the frame? If not, just what kind of a setup are you describing?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote