Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Big Sky Factory

Ontmont's and Rich & Helen had outr own tour on the Big Sky plant (plant#1) the yellow building, Given by Mike Spencer..the grand foba of the Big Sky. The following is my honest Evaluation and as I have stated I looked at the big Sky in terms of Quality, workmanship, Fit and finish, Simply put ..is it better than the Montana 3400.

Quality... of materials..It is the same platform as the 3400, same cabinetry, same counter tops but in high gloss. The carpet padding is much better and the carpet is a higher quality. The DVD player is a JVC the sound system is awesome.

Workmanship..fit and finish..Better, better, better. They are building 3 units a day..There is actual quality control.Right now, today, as we speak, they are building a quality unit. IF I was purchasing a unit now and using it as we use the 3400 would we buy one..absolutly.Ole Rich was impressed and that is not a easy thing to do here in the RV industry.Helen took a lot of notes and Mike
wants them..

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Thanks for the update on the Big Sky. Our PDI starts in the morning and hope our unit is of the same quality that you found at the factory. We also wish you good luck in getting all your problems fixed to your satisfaction.

I was told that Keystone has a "huge" backlog of deliveries to be made and all the parking lots are full as they have cut the mileage cost to the transporters. Do you see any indication of this?
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The transporters going out of here look normal to us..There is a steady stream going by.. A transporter pulling a Cougar just drove by my window.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
Good report Rich. It is nice to know the Big Sky is better quality. From your report I am glad our Big Sky is being built this month. I think the wood is all cherry rather than oak in the Big Sky. Who is Mike Spencer compared to Charles Wade. Seems like Charles Wade is the one always quoted as the Big Sky guru. Did you learn anything about the new mattresses. I appreciate all you are doing for us and hope we get to go on a Big Sky tour when we come East. Karen
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Thanks Rich.

The true test will be when they get out in the hands of the users...then we'll see just how much, if any, the quality has improved.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We agree with Rich's comments. There were a lot of little details that were "better". The matteress was a pillow top type, looked comfortable, but I did not get to sleep on it. There is also a built in water filter, and neat DR table that is fastened to the wall with no legs under it. Roof line and front cap are slightly different from the regular Montana. Not sure what the wood is, it may be cherry. Biggest difference to my mind is that the production is slower and quality control seems at a higher level. I would think a good part of the price difference is accounted for by the additional labour cost to do things more carefully. Kind of like the difference between a regular Chev. and Corvette.

Thanks to Rich and Helen for letting us tag along on their "private tour", and also for letting me share their air card and router to get on the internet tonight.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am not sure where Mike Spencer and Charles Wade are in the Keystone Hiarchy But Mike Spencer is the Guy who "does the Big Sky"
Old 04-16-2007, 05:05 PM   #8
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Rich--great report on your tour. And really glad to hear that you found improvements in the quality of the workmanship as well as in the quality of the fixtures and materials.

I'll look forward to seeing what we find as we check out our Big Sky over the next several months. So far, we are pleased with what we were able to see during the PDI last week and what we found when we spent several hours in the rig today. For example, I checked the wires in the 12v and 110v fuse panels today in light of all the reports others have made about finding loose wires in there. I was pleased to find that all of the wires were firmly attached. I also had the dealer pull out that white plastic panel in the basement storage area so I could check the water connections behind the panel. Again, everything seemed to be solidly attached. I'll dig further into that space tomorrow when I try to put in some foam padding around some of the water pipes to see if I can further quiet the water pump. I'll be looking for anything that seems loose and/or rubbing up against rough edges. I'll let you know what I find.

I'll also be checking back over the video I made during our plant tour last month and see if I can figure out more about just where the wiring and plumbing lines run.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:07 PM   #9
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Good job Rich! It is nice to know quality control is now at the top of their list.

Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:37 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we did note the full unit water filter system and the access panel to the water filter that allows you to see that maze of water connections in the rear of the docking station.The vent pipe to the roof from the galley tank that will prevent the "sewer Smell" from the galley tank.
The ceiling material being of a different texture and color, huge improvement. The motor home type table..It is firmly attached to the coach.Moved the thermostat away from the fireplace area..it is now in the spice cabinet area. The recessed lighting throughout the coach. There are so many upgrades and improvements.The big sky will not be for everyone but should have a huge appeal to the full timer and long timer as well as those who appreciate a "better" unit.'
The key to success here is the obvious higher quality workmanship due no doubt to the low number of units produced per day.If they hold to that they will have a winner,,if not..just another camper.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #11
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Rich--great report on your tour. And really glad to hear that you found improvements in the quality of the workmanship as well as in the quality of the fixtures and materials.

I'll look forward to seeing what we find as we check out our Big Sky over the next several months. So far, we are pleased with what we were able to see during the PDI last week and what we found when we spent several hours in the rig today. For example, I checked the wires in the 12v and 110v fuse panels today in light of all the reports others have made about finding loose wires in there. I was pleased to find that all of the wires were firmly attached. I also had the dealer pull out that white plastic panel in the basement storage area so I could check the water connections behind the panel. Again, everything seemed to be solidly attached. I'll dig further into that space tomorrow when I try to put in some foam padding around some of the water pipes to see if I can further quiet the water pump. I'll be looking for anything that seems loose and/or rubbing up against rough edges. I'll let you know what I find.

I'll also be checking back over the video I made during our plant tour last month and see if I can figure out more about just where the wiring and plumbing lines run.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:29 AM   #12
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Rich, We will be placing an order for the Big Sky as soon as our stick house sells. Any notes and info that you and Helen want to share would be appreciated. Thanks.
Don
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:07 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
besides the creature comfort upgrades, large fridge, electric rear stabilizers, Whole coach water filter system, to many to list. What impressed us was the huge improvement in Quality, workmanship, fit and finish.The Big sky is a definite upgrade from the regular line of Montana's. They are constantly looking for ways to improve..Example they are looking into a rear camera system..I would keep up to date on what the latest changes or improvements are as your order time draws near.If you look at the big sky site you will note a E mail address to send comments to Big Sky.. Mike Spencer says that E mail goes directly to his desk and he reads it on a regular basis
Old 04-17-2007, 12:07 PM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
If my old memory holds true, Charles Wade is the west coast sales rep. Mike Spencer is part of the Mountaineer line, who was chosen to head up the come back of the Big Sky...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:12 PM   #15
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Rich and Helen thanks for the eval....I knew if anyone would give a critical eye, it would be you guys. I knew you were going so thanks for following through on your report. It only makes Kathy and I want one even more.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich, a few questions... What is the cost difference between the 3400 and the BS? Is the BS rated to zero degrees like the 3400, or is it different? I take it it has dual panes as standard? What is the dry weight/CC?

Isn't there less cupboards due to raising the dining window? What brand of LCD TVs are in the new BS? You said a bigger fridge - does that mean 10 cf then?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
Fridge is now a quad door 12 cu ft' unit.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #18
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Now we know we want a Big sky when we trade our present Monty. Going to see the 2008 before we trade. Wonder what will be new in 2008.
Anyone know when the 2008 comes out?
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:24 PM   #19
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
One of the dealers we are negotiating with told us if we order now (rather than something already in stock) it will be a 2008. I can't swear that is true, but that is what we were told. Sue C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #20
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
May to June seems to be the year end for RV's, boats, and cars/trucks.