Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
RV Storage @ Military Bases

My wife and I are getting ready to start doing some serious RVing and I had as question for any active/retired military about whether or not you have/can store your RV in the RV storage lots at various military bases across the country. I'm asking because I expect that there will be times when we want to come back to the stick house for an extended period of time and would rather not tow the RV back across the country.

av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Over on RV.net is a pen pal of mine named Gunship Guy. He is active Air Force and has one of the Mobile Suites type of RV. But if you would go over there and send him a PM I'm sure he could provide you all kinds of info. His current residence is down by Destin but he is assigned to Washington DC. So he goes back and forth. Tell him I recommened you to him - he owes me.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:14 PM   #3
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
Thanks for the info and that's where I live!
av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Then you ought to recoginize the picture in my post. That is site 143 at TopSail. Will be going back there April 20th.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Military bases have storage lots. But I know that FT. Meade and U.S. Naval Station Annapolis also have a large waiting list. You might check some RV campgrounds they may also offer storage at a reduced price.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:17 PM   #6
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
The same is true for Offutt AFB, Nebraska. They have a waiting list for their storage lot. But, the advice about checking with campgrounds is good. I have used the Berry Patch in Rapid City for some storage at $1.00 a day. Can't beat that.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We store our boat in a storage lot on Maxwell AFB that also contains RVs and other boats of all types. It's less than $1.00 per day.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:34 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Lasater,

Just an FYI for you, Berry Patch campground has been closed and sold to a developer. My info comes from the Rapid City Journal, the 24th of Jan copy. www.rapidcityjournal.com

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:18 PM   #9
RailroadMike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5807
I just pulled mine out of storage at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas. They charged two dollars a day.....Mike
RailroadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:49 AM   #10
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
When I checked at Ft. Carson CO. The Active Solder had first come and the Retire was put on a wait list. they told me $1.00 a foot per month.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #11
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Lots of places are at the discretion of the CO. We have an Air Guard unit here...won't let retired use it even though there is lots of room.

On edit...things must have changed since I retired...we stored RVs, TVs and boats at several locations, and were never charged anything.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:30 PM   #12
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Montana Sky,

Thanks for the info. I stayed at the Berry Patch for 3 summers while working in the Former Badlands Bombing Range (Pine Ridge Reservation). The folks there always treated me nice and made it a pleasure to stay there.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:53 AM   #13
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
We are retired Navy and live near the Marine Corps Base, Quantico, VA (Chris has worked there the past 18 years), and have tried over the years to store our travel trailer and then the Monty. There were over 300 names on the wait list. First call goes to the active duty folks. God bless them! We have so many of our Marines deployed right now that they had to extend the storage areas to make space for cars, too. The folks who manage the storage spaces told us that they have seen a huge increase in RVs since 9/11. I'm sure that the majority of military bases have a waiting list. We ended up storing our Monty at the Prince William County Fairgrounds for $50 a month. Not bad for a huge area surrounded by 2 fences, located right behind a National Guard Armory. 'Course since we're going to start fulltiming in June 07, the Monty is sitting in our driveway, just begging to be loaded so she can hit the road!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:07 AM   #14
TubensMA

M.O.C. #6959
Send a message via Yahoo to TubensMA
I store mine at Ft. Dix.
Space is limited especially for bigger rigs.
Unless you live there on base it first come first serve.

I pay $30 a month.
There isn't anything closer to NYC than there.

I live on Ft. Hamilton.
TubensMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:30 PM   #15
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I am retired Navy and we store ours on Little Creek Amphibious Base. There was a waiting list but the just expanded the lots so I see some spots that "appear" to not be in use.

NAS Oceana just built a large campground for all the active duty and recalled reservists living in the area in their RVs. I believe they also stow on site as well.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:36 AM   #16
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Bert - regarding things changing since we retired -- they sure have. Biggest one is that Morale/Welfare activities are now cost/profit centers in their own right -- they have to charge to meet expenses. The days of going to the craft shop (auto, wood, you name it) and working for free is long gone; Not sure where the money from AAFES goes but apparently not to the MWR system anymore . It is actually cheaper for me to have dealer change oil than me doing it at the Auto Craft shop now -- have to pay 2.50/hr for bay; 0.50 per hour, per tool for tool rental (can't bring your own in due to liability issues??); oil disposal fee of 0.50 per quart of oil; $1.50 fee for cleanup supplies (catlitter for oil on floor, soap to wash bay out when you clear out of it; water to rinse it off,) and the list keeps going on. Paperwork (computer screen) drill extrodinaire (that spelling sure doesn't look right ).

All: As for storage, I just called and Ft Riley has over 200 names on waiting list; they suggested I look at McConnel in Wichita or Ft Leavenworth.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:41 AM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Try this web site http://www.military.com/Travel/Conte...rounds,00.html. Some will list the capability of storage facilities. As someone else pointed out, private campgrounds will store RV's also.

Semper Fi!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:10 PM   #18
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
SkyPilot-thats funny about the waiting list on Ft. Riley. I am stationed here and drove by the lot the other day and it was half empty. I've talked with the MWR folks here about storage and they are trying to get keys back from individuals who have defaulted but will not let anyone else start a new contract until that's cleared up. Possible why such a long waiting list.

As far as the MWR goes, you are right about them charging for everything - not like what it used to be - for the soldiers.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #19
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Rick: I looked into that lot the other day when I went to the Commissary -- couple of nice units in there and some that look like they've been in there since Custer road North.

They had a big holding lot over on the other side of the road but now that they are building houses over there, all of those are gone (at least as I remember it). As someone wrote on another forum I'm a member of; if we had the money to start a place, we could make a bundle with an RV Storage facility.

You take care out there.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #20
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I store mine right off Dyess AFB for $20.00/month. since the increased security and metal road block additions its hard to get a Monty into or off of the base and the back gate is not open on weekends.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote