Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Double Door Fridge in Montana

Has anyone else seen the new 2009 3400RL with a double door fridge? Also noticed the new sofa, removal of kitchen window in the stove/fridge slide, and a few other changes. The new mocha interior is very nice. I saw so many of the Big Sky options in this Montana, it makes me wonder if the Big Sky is on the way out...again? I wish Keystone would add a flat screen to the bedroom instead of that "bulky" old style they are using. Putting a flat screen in the bedroom would provide a small storage area behind the TV instead of that area being open for the current conventional TV to slide into when closed in the travel position.

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Has anyone else seen the new 2009 3400RL with a double door fridge? Also noticed the new sofa, removal of kitchen window in the stove/fridge slide, and a few other changes. The new mocha interior is very nice. I saw so many of the Big Sky options in this Montana, it makes me wonder if the Big Sky is on the way out...again? I wish Keystone would add a flat screen to the bedroom instead of that "bulky" old style they are using. Putting a flat screen in the bedroom would provide a small storage area behind the TV instead of that area being open for the current conventional TV to slide into when closed in the travel position.
Yes! I have. I got to look at one of the double door fridges in person. VERY nice! Unfortunately, not that much more room than a normal one. Maybe about 1/4th extra room if even that... It is split down the middle on the inside. So it's like two smaller fridges side by side, so you lose some fridge real estate on the inside. To me personally, it wasn't worth the loss of pantry or other storage space, since I don't normally have a ton of stuff needing refrigeration anyway (but it's just me by myself). That little bit of extra room would probably be very valuable to 2 or more people, though!

I also agree I LOVE the Mocha interior and everything about it, EXCEPT the one thing you can't change so easily - the trim. I don't know why, but the wallpaper trim just drove me insane. If it wasn't for that trim on the wall, I'd have insisted on Mocha decor. But the trim bugged me enough that I was happier to go with Emerald Isle for mine.

As for the TV, I know what you mean, but personally I kind of like that the one I am going to get comes with the "old" style of TV in the bedroom. LCD's are nice, but in my personal opinion just aren't as bright and clear as a good ol' CRT TV. It will be a while until they match up, at least the ones I've seen. Since the TV in the living room of mine is LCD, I am glad to have the CRT in the bedroom. And Later on you can always get an LCD TV and put it right where the current CRT is, and have sort of a "hidden" storage area behind it. I know I have a few things that I'd like to be able to put somewhere that people wouldn't think to look, lol. Although the only problem is it's kinda hard to get an LCD that isn't also a widescreen, huh? It would make the fit weird, I suppose. I'm sure someone that is handy would be able to work it out fine somehow though.
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
In our old unit, we had the single door refrigerator. In 2008 unit we have the double wide. For full timing, the double is a real plus.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:23 AM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Dave, I installed an LCD in the bedroom between the cabinet doors and put a mirror door where the old tv was. But, you'll be happy to know, we were shown a model at the fall rally that they were trying to decide whether or not to put a LCD beside the window on the flat wall! Then they would cover the space where the tv was and make it an extra storage space, imagine that!
DW said the four door was nice, but she would miss the pantry too much. That is why they make so many different models trying to keep as many people satisfied as they can!
That's neat about being at the rally in Goshen to see what they are thinking about changing for the next year.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:50 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have the 08 Big Sky with the big fridge and love it. as for the storage this is the start of our second year using it and this time we packed a bit differently. We stood in the rig and decided what we needed to do various meals and didn't just go through the house and pick out stuff we thought we needed. This method was suggested here and works very well. Now we have a bunch of extra space and it does not NEED to be filled. Even with the big fridge we have much more space than we need. The slide out pantry shelf is stuffed with condiments and baking needs, the tall pantry is only about 2/3 full... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
It's nice, but as a $2,940 list price option, we didn't feel it was necessary for us. I think it would be a no-brainer to get one for people that are full timing though. Even so, I imagine that you lose some cabinet and counter space with this option, correct?

I only saw pictures of the Mocha interior, the wife and I thought it was horrid. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. Maybe it looks better in person? Heck, I don't know! We are getting the very last 5er off the line with the Desert Sunset decor. Supposed to be ready to pick up on Nov. 14th Yippee! I can hardly wait!
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Hey Dave, The 4-Door fridge is awesome. This is our second 4-door and there just isn't any comparison in the smaller units. For full timing the 4-door is a must. As for space our pantry is huge and we don't ever fill more than half of it. It took us a while to learn, we now never ever fill our pantry. Just not necessary to haul all than extra weight. I personally think there is to much space on most 5th wheels. I removing things from our Cambridge when we sold it I now know why it was so heavy. And in most cases we didn't need half of the stuff we were hauling around. As for changes the RV industry is really taking a hard look at all their floor plans and I think there will be many changes. I really don't care for the water in the door of the 4-door fridge and we don't use it. The ice maker is a good option but again we don't use it to much. Different opinions and different likes and dislikes, what a Country we are so blessed to live in. Life is Good. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
My old friend Dave! Well it's nice to see you again, I hope you stick around!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Me, too, Dave. Nice to hear from you again.

We ordered a Big Sky 340 RLQ for the following reasons in this order (versus keeping our 3400RL, which we love):

1) Double refrigerator
2) Upgraded carpet and pad
3) Corian counter tops for hot pots, etc. versus the laminate

I'm worried about the loss of the cabinet between the stove and the refrigerator, though.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

Me, too, Dave. Nice to hear from you again.

We ordered a Big Sky 340 RLQ for the following reasons in this order (versus keeping our 3400RL, which we love):

1) Double refrigerator
2) Upgraded carpet and pad
3) Corian counter tops for hot pots, etc. versus the laminate

I'm worried about the loss of the cabinet between the stove and the refrigerator, though.
Although a very minor point...the new wide refrig also eliminated the nice little window aft of the refrig.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Thanks guys. I have been surfing around the MOC off and on over the past nine months. I've been very busy with the tornado and floods that slammed eastern Iowa this summer. Also sold the house, moved to central Iowa, and am having a new home built as we speak. I believe this is the first year I have not dewinterized the coach, hoping next year will allow more time to use the it. Safe travels to those of you heading south and hopefully I will see you on the road in 2009.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:33 AM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Congratulations Dave on your latest promotion. I knew that job was right up your alley. I'm glad you are going to live in the Des Moines area. Sorry we missed each other earlier but we look forward to seeing you when you come down to Florida this winter.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote