Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2008, 05:05 AM   #1
MichaelnCindy

M.O.C. #7644
Send a message via AIM to MichaelnCindy
Levelers

I am thinking about purchasing Automatic levelers for our '07 3400RL. Has anyone had any experience with any specific brand? I am looking at a "PowerPlus" automatic leveler, but just saw a stabilizer and leveler combo. The combo one is a lot cheaper, but is it any better? I am concerned with twisting the frame of our 5th wheel and want to be certain that does not happen....
Any suggestions??????
Thanks
Michael

MichaelnCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Do you think it's worth the money just to save a few moments of manually leveling? If leveling was difficult I'd say go for it. But all the leveling I've done over the almost eight years of full timing and over 35 years of RVing has not required anything automatic. I'm of the opinion that if your physically able to set everything up manually then go for it. Don't waste the money. This only my opinion and does not reflect what others may think.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
If I had a rig that came with automatic levelers then I'm sure I'd appreciate and use them. Since my rig did not come with them I would not add them.

Having said that I would be inclined toward getting a rig with them since I am mobility limited. Thankfully my DW does all the leveling and is very good at it.

Do whatever works best for you.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Michael(heart)Cindy: HWA (I believe that is the brand name) has a leveling system that I have seen on two different units, once a Montana, the other a SOB (KoftR); in both cases the owners swore by them, and at them!!. Both had to have their frames strengthened, which the company did some during the install, to keep the units from twisting when leveling. The biggest problem (and the reason for the swearing at) is that the rear stabilizers are close to the wheels and the units tended to still bounce near the back of the trailers. Both suggested I have them install an 'auxiliary' stabilizer package at the rear of the coach should I have decided to purchase. I have seen / read about several other systems but they seem to only handle the front landing gear extension -- you must still do the side to side leveling yourself prior to using them.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Icehouse has a 3400 with auto levelers. You might PM him. He published a thread on the install and he might give you the link.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
We had a hydraulic leveler system on the M/H we had. They definitely have their place and serve a great purpose. However, to me it would be whether or not I just simply wanted them and then it would be mostly for a novelty. With the fifth wheel it’s too easy to set it up level so I don’t feel that I could justify spending so much for a leveling system. If it is needed for a handicap reason or something like that then the justification would quickly change. I don’t have a leveling system now and I don’t miss having one either.

In reality we already have a leveling system from front to back. All we have to do is back in to a level site. If it isn’t level, the first thing I do is make the adjustments that are needed for that.

I would be concerned that it might possibly cause a problem with the frame. I would check with Keystone before installing one and get their opinion.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We have the automatic levelers. We got them because trying to manually level ourselves on constantly shifting ice and snow pack is hard - if not impossible. If you want some info on our levelers, PM us and Bernie can give you all the info. Brad said above Bernie did a thread a while back and he did include a link to some photos of our levelers and the computer system for it. Glad to share our information if you are interested.

By the way, we have the HWH 625 Series Computer Leveling System.

Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
I saw a NuWa that had them...pretty slick but very pricy. Wondered at the time if Montana's weak frame could stand the twisting and turning the levelers do.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
We have remote stabizers and even though we still need to manually level our Montana, our 3400RL seems more solid with the stabilizers down than our friends 3480RL who does not have a stabilizer sys. If our RV had not had the stabilizers they would be on my short list. Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Most I have ever needed is one 2x12 under one set of wheels. I have a bubble on the front of the king pin that shows the levelness when we pull/back in. Which ever way the bubble is I put a board on that side. I first just put the board on the ground, then with DW's help back or pull forward until clear and then put the board under and roll up on it. Seems to be a simple process for me and I'd rather spend the money on something else unless, like Icehouse, you have a good need for an automatic system. JMHO
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #11
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
As Tammy stated earlier, we have the automatic / computerized leveling system. I LOVE IT. As Tammy also stated, we live in an arctic environment and the ground (snow, ice, mud) changes based on tempurature. Our dealer did NOT do the conventional install - back jacks behind the axles. Our rear jacks are installed on the far back corners (under our kitchen 3650RK model). I had some concerns about frame bending, but the frame design did not allow 'normal' placement. We also replaced the front landing gear with the automatic. This system will lift the entire RV 2 feet off the ground and remain solid while walking in the RV. (By the way, ths is not recommended or standard practice. However, I just had to see if it would work - and I actually had to raise one side about 9 inches of the ground for about 6 weeks in one campground.)
I still place boards (or the orange lego-type thingies) under each jack stand. This is to prevent the jacks from freezing to the ground or sinking in the mud. Please let me know if you have any questions. For me (a fulltimer) they are worth every penny. By the way, the Montana frame has been significantly more sturdy than others I have seen and has adapted well to the minus 30F temperatures we experience and the strong lifting system we added.
Bernie
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote