Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2008, 02:39 AM   #1
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Pressure washing (or not)

Just read an article in "Highways" magazine about using a pressure washer to wash your RV. I have a Mountaineer and also have a light duty (1500 psi) electric pressure washer. I am considering trying this to clean the fiver, and was wondering if anyone out there has tried this method before. Seems a little risky, but maybe if you're really careful and use the washer correctly it would be okay. The article did not get into specifics as far as what kind of detergent etc. I would like to hear from anyone who has ACTUALLY tried this and let me know the pros and cons and any tips or suggestions you may have.

dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:15 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I started to try it once with the low pressure nozzle attached and some soap in the dispenser. I got scared about even that low pressure and backed off. The dirt was, of course, not coming off so I continued to use the pressure washer to wet and soap it down and the manual extension brush to clean it. I would never use high pressure nozzles as you could blow a seal, like around the windows, or other areas. You would also risk the peeling of the graphics.

My personal opinion is: It's not a good idea. I'm sure there will be others on here that have used it with good results. Just not me.

I use the large RV Extension brush with Dawn Dishsoap and a water hose with low, soft, spary to rinse.

Edited: p.s., keep it away from the grease fittings. You could blow the grease right out of them.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:45 AM   #3
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Bought one and it is still in the box -- thought I'd save money using it versus a car wash but car wash is easier to use I guess. Bottom line - I don't see how it would be any different than using a pressure washer at the coin op car wash -- have used such for several years and haven't noticed any problem(s). Now, that said, I don't know what pressure the coin op car wash puts out... if someone knows that it would definitely assist.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:47 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am with waynem on this one. I think the possible negatives out weigh the advantages.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:59 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
A hint: If you do use the pressure washer, make sure ALL your elec conncetions are covered, especially the vents to the water heater and furnace. There is a 110 plug in one of these, can't remember which one now, that if you get water in will trip the GFCI breaker and you will be out there with a blow dryer trying to dry it to get it to work again. Yep, Been there, done it, got frustrated, then got the T-shirt....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:05 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I think that everytime my Monty has been washed it was using a pressure washer of one sort or another. It especially helps clean the roof. Have not noticed any negatives using the pressure systems. We've used one at home and many times at a commercial washing outfit.

I certainly would not use an extremely high pressure system but a home system on low and watching carefully it would be safe.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Been using a pressure washer for years on cars,truck, campers..Of course you need to be aware of the pressure.I have one that will clean sidewalks..I sure don't use that same pressure to wash the camper.I have seen them used in campgrounds by camper cleaning conpanies,If they damaged campers on a regular basis I don't think they would be in business long.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I pulled into the truck wash bay of a car wash last weekend. I got out looked at the size of the task at hand then got back in my pickup to drive off. I will pay the dealer to do it. On the travel trailer I didn't mind doign it by hand myself. On the 5th wheel its just too large to wash for me. Time is too valuable for us 2 job 6 days a week folk to wash by hand.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #9
NewFlyLady
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8071
I have always used the pressure water on the 5th wheel and my car. I still have to scrub some spots with soap but I like the speed of getting it done with the pressure washer. Mine does not have variable speed but an adjustable nozzle to reduce the pressure.
NewFlyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Be careful with that power washer...it will peal off your stickers, blow water past the slides in to the trailer and into every hole that is open.

It'll work, just have to be careful where you point it and how much pressure you use.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:18 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Besides decal damage, another potential problem is those vent holes at the bottom of each window. High pressure water can blow through those holes into the rig. One of our Montanas was delivered with water spotted curtains because the dealer (or someone) had used high pressure water to clean the rig in prep for delivery. Just a caution to be aware of.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote