Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
Power Cord Lock

[IMGhttp://i31.tinypic.com/28uhekn.jpg[/IMG]

Nice picture but MUCH too large! Please re-size and repost.

Thank you,

RVWheels

gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
In general terms, I don't think the thieves are after the cord for resale intact as a cord. I believe they actually desire the copper, which would make the lock a wasted effort.

I was encouraged by the Dealer to lock ours back in 2003. I never have.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
Actually when using the 30 to 50 amp dog bone I was concerned about it being taken--I rather use that cash for fuel and not another dog bone----
Old 03-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Locks just keep honest people honest. The 5er I have now (SOB) has a electric cord rewind reel. So after you reel it out and close the door it has some security, and I also use a lock on the pole were the surge protector is plugged in. I really don't think you can keep people from stealing if they want it bad enough. Thats why I never lock my basement doors don't want them to use a screwdriver on the doors. I think at most RV parks people kinda watch out for the bad guys or at least I hope they do. GBY.........
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Looks like a brass lock. Once in a while a Marine would lock his keys in his wall locker. That type of lock we would use a 50 cent piece and the heel of a boot or shoe as a hammer. Pop the lock every time. This post is not to discourage your peace of mind, but the previous post of wanting the copper is the reason someone would steal it. A pair of insulated line cutters and it's a done job.

I do lock the basement to keep the little park darling out. If dad wants in he can use the key to his RV. There all the same. I opened my friends compartments today for him. He has a 1999 Yellow(something) Class C. I have 2008 3400RL. Keys worked perfectly Guess they have not changed the mold for a long, long time.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:08 AM   #6
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
My insurance company refused to compensate my losses because I failed to use " due diligence "- I had a whole storage box full of tools, etc. lifted out of the pickup box- 200 lb. plus- the box was not chained or fastened down- We learned that lesson the hard way- Now everything is locked and chained and on film- Just in case history repeats itself- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
6.7 CTD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8114
Be careful what you put in the basement storage area ..........most of the door locks on these units.........Montana or SOB.......are all keyed the same.........in other words ........any key from any brand WILL open your basement........I learned this last year from a guy who works at SOB factory.........he said there are a thousand keys laying on the floor of the line cause you only need one key for any unit all year long .....year after year........only the class A style basement doors have real security locks that are diff. from unit to unit............p.s. not sure how many people know this , so beware.
6.7 CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:12 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
My 2008 3400RL basement key will open a 1999 Class C basement, and all other locks on the class C.

I think your key is #751, just like mine. I understand the due diligence clause so I suppose I should go get new locks for all my basements. Any office supply place carries those same type desk drawer locks.

Then I would just have to worry about someone taking a screwdriver and popping the door.

And, if I loose my key, I can take a two pronged "echo" fastener, fold it over on itself, use scissors to cut the tip at a slight angle, then jiggle it en any basement lock of the same design and have it open in less than 30 seconds.

Security never ends. It is a life long process. The unfortunate part is that there are thieves in this world.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
A decent sized screwdriver will open any of those locker doors if just a few seconds. I had to do ours once and the only damage was it bent the tang on the lock. The door was fine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:54 PM   #10
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
Dang.....And here I thought I had a Master 751 key.... At least thats what I tell my friends
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:34 PM   #11
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
You and every RV owner out there! The same key that fit the storage compartments of my old pick-up camper from 15 years back is the 751 key. They haven't changed at all. But as Steve suggests, a screw driver is all that is really needed. The locks only keep the honest honest. A thief will not be stopped or even delayed by these cheap locks.

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:32 PM   #12
Son of JVP
Established Member

M.O.C. #8249
Speaking of similar keys, about 5 years ago, I was fueling up my Dodge Ram (Cummins diesel), and a guy pulled up on the other side of the combination gas/diesel pumps at a small gas station. He was a "white trash" looking guy, driving a beat up small "redneck" car. He asked me if I had a locking gas cap on my truck. I was a little suspicious, but I said yes. I'm not exactly sure how the dialog went word-for-word between us, but he said something like, "Can I borrow your key for a second? I've got my wife's keys, and she doesn't have a gas cap key. Your key will probably work." Sure enough, I gave him my keys, and he quickly unlocked his gas cap without the slightest struggle and gave me back my keys. He said, "Thanks a lot, man," and pumped his gas. I asked him, "So, the gas cap keys are all the same?" He said, "Oh yeah, you can unlock almost any gas cap with one of those keys." Wow, I learned something new that day!
This is good to know, in case you happen to lose your key, but at the same time, with the price of fuel these days, you know the thieves are out there and they all know this!
Andy
Son of JVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:10 AM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I asked about re-keying the basement doors when I first joined MOC and kind of got flamed. Well I did it anyway as I think it proves that I showed Due Diligence in securing my gear. I had a locksmith re-key my truck bed tool box also and it is screwed to the bed from inside. I will also be re-keying the door locks, as the regular door lock will open with any other Montana door key but the deadbolt won't. Somewhere out there is someone with a key that will open the dead bolt also, so it will get changed. When I get my Dog Bone it will also get a lock, if they want it so bad they have to cut the lock so be it, but I am not gonna make it easy for them... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:41 AM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm just gonna wrap a 1 inch chain around the whole TV when it is parked. That should deter them punks!
Old 03-24-2008, 04:01 AM   #15
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
Dave: I'm glad to see that you got back to the original topic---sure won't hurt to lock the dog bone too--