Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2008, 02:55 AM   #1
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
Where's My Galley Flush???

Just got to Arizona this week from Wisconsin. After setting up, I did the usual de-winterizing and flushing. Black tank, Grey tank, then...uhh....where is the Galley Tank Flush handle? (Just got this Montana in August so I did remember its in a different place than my other one. Checked just in front of the wheels where I thought it was last fall, crawled all over along the driver side searching (assuming CRS). Still no handle. Went to have a beer. Crawled again. Still no handle. Checked again where it should be..and what do you know..there is a nice little 3/8" hole right where the handle and rod should be!! I guess the ride from Wisconsin was enough for the rod to loosen and finally fall out somewhere along the route. Nahhh..Not going to retrace the 2000 miles to find it! Will call the dealer down here to do a warranty replacement. Rather than pull my Monty in to the dealer, I'll probably just drop part of the underbelly and do it myself.

THE "GOOD PART" is that the Galley tank valve is in the open position so I don't have to be in a hurry to fix since I'll be here three months.

Since mine was a new unit, I suspect the jam nut wasn't snugged as it should have been. I thought I would pass this along as a reminder to all of us to check the rods from time to time to be sure that they are snug and not about to "unscrew" themselves.

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Karl, I have a 2007 3400RL, my galley flush is between the wheels on the passenger side. It is easier to reach if the rooms are in. It is not very convenient unless of course for someone with arms like an Orangutan it would be easy. Ooops I goofed, it is on the drivers side.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:27 AM   #3
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
That's exactly where the HOLE for the flush rod and handle is. As I said, the rod and handle are gone, having unscrewed on my trip. I know I could pull the valve if I could get my hand through the 3/8" hole...HA, HA!!
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:56 AM   #4
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49

We knew where our galley flush pull handle was and still had a hard time finding it because it blended into the black underbelly so well. So we painted the handle day-glo orange. Much better than stooping over for five minutes knowing full well the handle IS there in front of your face but you just don't see it.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:58 AM   #5
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
I was a little luckier, I went to open my galley tank after setting up the Monty and the handle and rod came out in my hand. Took me about 5 min to get it back in and screwed on with out dropping the pan. I now include checking the handle with my walkaround when ever we stop. Carolyn says I need to change it over to an electronic valve, maybe in the future.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
pandew
Established Member

M.O.C. #4408
Our handle keeps coming unscrewed and actually doesn't seem to screw on (may be stripped). We're getting our value replaced under the extended warranty we bought
pandew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Also, I use an extra awning rod to pull and push the handle with so I can just reach under the slide and push/pull without crawling under the slide. Got that from Glenn and SteveR at a rally. Thanks again guys.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good tip, Karl. Thanks. Yours is the first I've heard of one falling out on the road. And I hope the last.

Jim, our 2001 2880RL was like your 2980, the handle was between the wheels which were both far under the slide and unreachable from either end of the slide. At least on our 3400 I can reach it from between slides.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:51 AM   #9
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Keystone could learn something from Harley Davidson use a little thread lock to keep this from happening.

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:17 AM   #10
fjldhp

M.O.C. #7945
I have a 329rlt mountaineer and I have yet to find the handle or hole. I found out that it is open when I emptied the other tanks. When I took the cap off the outlet out came the galley water.
fjldhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #11
sunrisetosunset
Established Member

M.O.C. #8026
i too have a handle that is between the drivers side wheels on our 02 2955rl and use the awning handle to push/pull, but have always worried some about the handle coming out since it seems to just spin in any direction when i try to slide the awning ring around the little handle and miss .......am i about to lose my handle??.....it never ever has felt like it was 'screwing' in or out when it spun.....was just very loose feeling and just would spin some if i missed on first 'lasso' attempt. it has never ever felt what i would call tight.......... for those of you who know it screws in .......which way is in.....normal righty tighty??........(and yeah....laffs....i do know which end of a screwdriver to hold....... :=Ppppfffffft)..thanks in advance.....gary
sunrisetosunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gary, it's righty tighty.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote