Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2007, 07:38 AM   #1
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Welcome to My World

So you have decided to join the world of RVing and have bought a brand spanking new RV. Congratulations. Things you learn day 1 is that they never come completely outfitted and its kind of like owning a boat, you know those holes in the water you keep pouring money into.

Some dealerships throw in a starter kit with your purchase containing a roll of RV toilet paper, a short white hose, an inferior grade sewer hose, chemicals, etc. All needed items. And while they are patting themselves on their backs over this magnanimous gesture, they mention you’ll be needing a water regulator, bubble levels, more water hose, possibly an extension cord for your power cord, toilet wand, more chemicals, mud dauber screens, vent covers, jack, and on and on and on. If you are lucky, when they point you in the direction of the parts department they will tell you under their breath you can get most of that stuff at Wal-Mart for a fraction of what it will cost buying it from them. What great news! After inking a deal that cost you thousands you get (have) to spend even more money. The looks your getting from your dear wife during all this doesn’t make you feel any better. You just suck it up and decide instead of buying a value meal for lunch you start brown bagging it and use the money saved to surreptitiously buy those extra goodies.

Now that you are a card carrying member of the club, your internet research takes on new meaning. You either lurk or join a number of RV Forums. There is some good information out there. You quickly learn about a whole bunch of other stuff your going to need in order to become the complete RVer.

What kind of stuff you ask, how about memberships (gotta get those camp ground directories and discounts); 2-way radios (can’t have your neighbors thinking you are an loud insensitive AH); new tire pressure gauge (the old one stops at 50 lbs); satellite or direct TV (just gotta have it); inverter (in those Wal-Mart parking lots you’ll need your TV and she her hair dryer); surge protector (the guy at the site next door just told you about the $10 grand it cost him to replace all of his electronics); tire pressure monitor (you’ve learned more than you ever wanted to know about tire failure and those tires); GPS (you want someone other than your wife telling you where to go); generator (cheaper than an inverter for those Wal-Mart overnighters); water filter (cheaper than bottled water and you can use the savings to buy more stuff); engine chip or tuner (either that or a new TV); another battery (once again something to take the pain out of those Wal-Mart overnights); blue tote (gotta have it in case we decide to spend a week in the boonies); new lap top (need to be able to access that FREE WiFi); patio furniture and mats (hey we are RVing now and those picnic tables lack class); awning lights and bobbles (gotta fit in with everyone else…don’t want them to think I’m a Newbie); solar panels (backup for the generator); windmill (backup for the solar panels); carved wooden sign (just keeping up with the Jones); washer and dryer (want to make it easier for dear wife); freezer (for all that fish I’m gonna catch in Alaska); secondary trailer (need something to store all this stuff in); backup camera (gotta make sure my secondary trailer doesn’t hit the car I’m passing); the list never seems to end.

I can’t wait to receive the next edition of Trailer Life to see what all I’m missing!

Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Joe-N-Doe,
Your posting is one of the funniest I have read in a long time. I have been RVing for 30 years now and every time I get a new rig it is almost the same as you describe. I have to get something new I/We need. You have pretty much nailed it on the head. Lots Of Laughs!
JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Joe, how did you get my Newbe list of stuff i "think" i need from all the seasoned RV'ers. I left the list out and the DW added throw rugs, dishes, pots and pans, kitchen stuff, couple plants, new bed stuff, pillows, shower stuff, Tuperware, drawer liner and the list goes on.
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is indeed a never ending list and you have not even scratched the surface. When you can walk into camping world ..look around and say..there is nothing in here I need...you will be a true Rv'er.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Right on the button, bought last rig and then spent 3K for just essentials. Most transfered over to the Big Sky except we needed a 5th wheel hitch, Timbrens to keep things level with the truck, JT's stabilizer jacks to take wiggle out of rig, Bed saver to save bed if 5er slides out of the hitch, better water pressure regulator, surge protector, and last but not least a new big level for the pin box so I can tell when or if the camp site is level. That equates to about another 1800 dollars. Which doesn't include the new dishes, flatware, cable plugs, tripods for the sat dishes, a second dvd player for bdrm, Yada yada yada yada yada ad nauseum... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I think you have capture it. Good job.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
.....and a partridge in a pear tree.......Seriously though, you will find that your list will grow and grow with additions as time goes by. Most of it will be DW requests which simply have to be honored. This is by far the most expensive free forum (donations accepted) on the web. Ha Ha.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673

You nailed it! My dealer did include the extras, but it included to long hose, Rhino Sewer hose with 5 ft extension, and the mud dobber screens installed.

I guess I'm just a nice guy.

However, the hole IS deep and the money keeps dropping in the hole.

Thanks for the post - made my day.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Oh yeh, and don't forget the Ozz list of improvements! Just when you think everything is the way it is supposed to be, Ozz adds another!!!!!! It's like trying to keep up with the Jones. Just kidding Ozz!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I used to think I had everything I needed till I got on here. I have 2 new pvc rocking chairs I have had for a year had to have you know. lol. still in storage bldg. will never catch ozz but having a ball trying. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:20 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120

Very funny.
Finally, after 2 years of shopping Camping World, we actually celebrated that we didn't buy anything after our last visit.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:32 PM   #12
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
The reason I call going away in the Monty, Princess Camping, is because of all of the above.

Hubby looked at all of Ozz's improvements and just nodded his head. I am still waiting for the first addition. Maybe the new spare key will be his first attempt.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote