Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Picking Up New 3400RL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The dealer called today to tell us our 3400RL has arrived. Yea!
Iam taking my PDI list I got off the internet but are there any of you out there with this model have any other suggestions,things I should look out for?
Another question I have,has anyone been turned away from CG's because of length?
I've had people tell me Iam going to have a problem because of this.
How True?
Thank's, Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
If you try to stay in some of the state and federal parks you will find that you are simply too long. And width comes into play too in some places. Even the access roads will often be a problem. Too narrow with many trees.

But if you stay mostly in commercial parks you will have little or no problem except for some of the older parks. But you probably won't be wanting to stay in those anyway. Often they are populated with rigs that have been there so long they have sort of melded into the surroundings.

Join us at Q this coming January and you'll have no trouble fitting into whatever site you want!

Congratulations on the rig! Enjoy and travel safely.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:23 AM   #3
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Take your time don't let them rush you.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:46 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations and enjoy your new unit. Just take your time on the PDI.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:09 AM   #5
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Jack,

We got our 2008 3400RL in early October. We are 110 miles from home to dealer. The PDI was thorough. We took good notes but still had questions and concerns.

We call the dealer often and have a contact person we've come to like and rely on. He is patient and helpful. There is also alot of self-prep in reading, and hands-on effort, let alone all the warranty stuff to complete.

Our RV experiences are limited but agree that some parks, etc are limited. Some logic here whether valid or not is that there are many units larger than the 3400RL and they came before I bought a 37 footer, so know that the industry is pushing the RV business to "grow" larger parks.

Congrats and safe RVing!
Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:11 AM   #6
Bogeyplus
Established Member

M.O.C. #7610
I had my 3400RL delivered 2 weeks ago. Luckily the dealer are storing it for the winter for us. It gives them time to replace the DVD player and replace some of the wiring for the sound system that was screwed up. The delivery took from 9:30 until 3:00 except for the hour they sent us to lunch(they paid for). They really took thier time and went through the whole camper with us.
Bogeyplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:15 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
First, congratulations on you new pull toy. It is so exciting. Second, my attitude is that there are some parks that are too small for my rig rather than my being too large. Becoming familiar with the campground directories, such as TrailerLife and Woodalls, is helpful. They usually give you enough info to determine whether a campground can accomodate you.

We always call the campground ahead of our arrival to reserve an appropriately sized space. If they don't have it we move on the the next target site. We traveled extensively in the North and Eastern States along with Eastern Canada this summer without having problems in finding appropriately sized Campgrounds.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:20 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Take your time with the PDI and take lots of notes because you won't remember everything they tell you.

Re the length, I have more problems with being too wide rather than too long.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I was in a very nice "Older" park near Spokane. Beautiful landscaping and office, BUT spaces were just barely ling enough for my 5er but I couldn't get the awning out, and had to jockey the rig fore and aft until my slides would come out. Very narrow spaces, so size may be a problem from time to time.

On your PDI, I would run water in the shower and let it flow all over and check underneath for leaks. Also, check the track on your bedroom sliding doors to the closet. I had to redo mine and added more and better screws to the system. It almost came apart on me. These, of course, are in addition to all the other items on the PDI checklist.

We love our 3400 and trust you will also...Welcome again to the MOC. Best darned forum on the www.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:06 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We are very fortunate to have our dealer about 12 miles away. We came back from our maiden voyage and had a few items for them to fix. Our bedroom pocket door had jumped the track holder on top. they fixed it. The toilet fill valve would leak after flushing and pulling up on the lever. They fixed it. On PDI, the technician gave us a list of items he wanted replaced; microwave/convection oven, bathroom mirror, bathroom door. They replaced all.

I took a tape recorder with me and recorded all they said at the PDI. It helped with my old age memory in refereshing me in a few days after PDI.

On the pocket door, the technician recommended putting another strap on the bottom, tighter than the one on top and to use the top one as a back-up. I'm in the process of doing that.

Good luck to you and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Semper Fi!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:20 PM   #11
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Good suggestions people,Iam writing everyone of them down keep them coming.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:43 AM   #12
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

Good suggestions people,Iam writing everyone of them down keep them coming.
Jack
Hi,
Congrats on your new rig. I can only think of one question for your dealer... "Is the washer plummed into the black tank?" Ours is, why?? I have no idea, all I know is our first night in ours we flooded the kitchen floor.We were not "happy campers" !
Now when I have to use the washer I have to go out and open the black tank. Hubby forgot one day and he seen soap suds running down the back window. LOL He now leaves the laundry to me.
Chris
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote