Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
cheri4land

M.O.C. #7096
Suggestions and Information

We are just buying our Montana and hope to full time it starting this summer. Any Information or suggestions would be great. We don't know much about it. Would also like suggestions on trucks? We are buying the 34 ft.

Thanks, Eddie & Cheri

cheri4land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
MOC forum, Eddie and Cheri. Someone will be along soon with answers to your questions. This is the place to get answers and meet great people.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Hi Eddie & Cheri

We have the 3000RK and are not full time but spent 6 weeks last fall in it as this is quite new to us also so i went with a ford F250 with tow and built in brake as that was very important to me , the built in brake works great but i listened to my montana dealer and he said what to buy as we had a 06 nissan and could not handel it
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to gather information and ideas on both your Montana and TV. There are many older posts that can be looked up covering trucks and Montanas. As for trucks I would recommend the biggest that you feel comfortable with. Though some tow with 3/4 ton trucks I prefer a 1 ton. I like the long bed so I do not have to worry about a slider hitch and I went with single rear wheels rather than a dually for convince of driving and parking when not hooked to the Montana.

Good Luck with your future travels.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:11 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome Eddie & Cheri to the MOC family.

Your going to get more answers to your 2 inquiries as there are MOC members. Although we all love our Monanas we all have different tastes and needs as to floor plans, number of slides, etc. Same goes for our tow vehicles. Some swear by GM while others prefer Fords or Dodges. Some insist on 3/4HDs and some want the 1 ton. While some want the DRW others will tell ya the SRW is the only way to go. I like a 4X4 while others just feel it's a waste of $$$$, but those haven't been stuck in mud or sand as yet and needed that 4X4 to get back underway.

It all comes down to two individuals, Eddie & Cheri. You can take all the info from this forum but keep in mind we all have our egos and that's about what we are going to advise you to get. Rarely will a Chevy owner tell you to get a Ford, or someone with a rear kitchen tell you to get a rear livingroom. This won't happen as our egos get in the way. For me, my rig is in my signature and that's my recommendation.

BUT in the end it's what Eddie & Cheri feel they need to satisfy their needs.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:33 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Eddie and Cheri
What Glenn says is so true. The rig is the one you walk into and say "This is home". That is what the 3400 did for us. I do want to put a word in for the dually. I drive ours all over, park at shopping centers, etc. I even drove it all over Yellowstone and Glacier National Park. You get use to the width real fast. We like the long bed for 2 reasons, slider hitch is not necessary and you get a larger fuel tank. This is our 3rd set up (rig and truck) and we have been doing this for about 15 years. Good luck with your hunt, it is fun!
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:37 AM   #7
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Welcome.
My suggestion is read, read read old posting here at the forum. Lots of great info.

Best of luck
Gene
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:28 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well there is a lot of information here..most of it good some not. You said you were buying a 34 foot..What model ??? As for the truck do the homework purchase the truck that meets your needs and is within the weight limits of the Model camper you are purchasing.Since you have neither yet you have the advantage of purchasing what will fit. I have no brand loyality what-so -ever, any truck, any brand camper as long as it meets our needs and budget.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I tow my 3400RL with a 2500HD, while it can be done within all specs of the truck, I really have to pay attention to my pin weight. Since there is two of you and you are going full time, I suggest going with a 1 ton. My next truck will probably be the Chevy 3500HD crew 4x4 dually w/ Duramax and Allsion transmission. Happy shopping...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:33 AM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Welcome to the forum...no matter which Montana you purchase...you'll love it, they are great rigs. When it comes time to shop for a truck, do the numbers yourselves...whatever you do, don't rely on the advice of RV/truck sales personnel, they are quite ignorant when it comes to something as important as a tow vehicle. If you actually do the numbrers I think you'll find you'll be happier with a one ton version of any of the big three.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:30 PM   #11
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
After the information I've gleaned on here...I would definitely go with a 1 ton if given the opportunity again. I would still go with the Ram cuz I love the look, and other features. But, the 3500 would give me more of a comfort level when dealing with pin weight.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote