Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
RailroadMike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5807
Warranty Information....

Hi All....I am wondering if anyone has had any dealings with RV Protection warranty service. My Monty is getting close to its first birthday and my dealer wants 2800 dollars for the extended warranty. RV Protection quoted me 745 dollars for a seven year plan. They claim bumper to bumper coverage with a 50 dollar deductible. I would like to hear from anybody who has used this service and has anything to say..good or bad.
Thanks....Mike

RailroadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:49 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Mike,

Some of the RV clubs offer repair service policies that seem to work for folks. Good Sam offers one and I think Escapees does also. I might investigate those sources before making a decision.

One thing I would do before purchasing is talk to service managers of several RV repair shops (your dealer has a vested interest) to see how quickly and cooperatively the provider pays its claims. If the shop will require you to pay and get reimbursed, that may create unnecessary anxiety and financial stress.

The company who provides my extended warranty is no longer writing these kinds of policies, although they pay and cooperate well with the service providers, otherwise I would give you the name.

I do think an extended warranty is a good idea. Others will advise you differently. My own experience demonstrates that under some conditions, you might get well above the premium you paid for just one covered loss.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:56 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

[size=4][font=Comic Sans MS]Mike,

Some of the RV clubs offer repair service policies that seem to work for folks. Good Sam offers one and I think Escapees does also. I might investigate those sources before making a decision.
Escapees RV Club does not offer repair service policies.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:52 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Mike,

If you have typically relied on your Dealer for service and are happy with the work they do, it might be worth considering. Just based on the prices you quoted, I can't help thinking the Dealer would favor thier own extended warranty system over another warranty company, which could mean getting claims settled through you Dealer with the other company might be an uphill battle. At some point the Dealer and warranty company have to agree that it is a covered item.

As for me - I avoid any service at the Dealer and wouldn't pay any additional money for the burden of having to take it to them to get fixed. A small fix can tie your rig up for weeks, and it typically takes 2 or 3 trips to get it right. I'm happy fixing most stuff myself, and will take the risk on the high dollar items. I really don't even buy the appliance extended warranties.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I am one who recommends a warranty and it need not be done at the dealer you purchased your coach. I believe the one we have is called Star and I think it was less than what you stated. I looked at other options and Montana Sky gave me a lead but I decided to move forward with this one. I'm not an extended warranty person by nature but this seemed to make sense. One major appliance and you are about even. Not only that but it's also transferable if you sell your coach, which may add to the resell price.

Just another opinion.

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I bought the extended warrenty on the refg from domiatc but thats all . i don't even think that was worth the cost these people are in it to make money and you will never beat them out as 33% will be ahead and 66% will lose , its a money deal , think about it
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:50 AM   #7
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I have been offered a warrenty for $1900 and if you don't use it at the end of 7yrs. you get your money back with no interest. I also put full replacement insurance on the unit for $459 a year which is renewable for 10 yrs. this one on are last trailer more than paid for it's self. It covers everything the extended warrenty doesn't.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:16 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have warranty experts which is backed by the same group that backs 'Star" It is our opinion only that quality, dependability and reliability in the RV industry being what it is a extended warranty is a requirement... individual manufactures warranties not with standing.We do not reccommend any one extended warranty but encourage you to "do your Research and homework" and understand extended warranties before you purchase one. According to BBB most complaints against the extended warranty are because folks did not read or did not understand the terms of the warranty.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I went with the Star RV Platinum+ extended warranty. It has a $100.00 deductable, and is good until 2013. It has bumper to bumper coverage, and even covers the tires and wheels on my TV. Normally I'm not an extended warranty person, but since I'm going to be living in the Monty, it will increase the odds of something going wrong. I don't remember the exact amount I paid for it, but it was in the $1200 area. If I sell the Monty, the policy is transferable to the new owner for a $50.00 fee. Like with the Surge Protector issue, it's just a matter of protecting my investment.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote