Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Handling in windy conditions

Seeking the wisdom of our new Monty family!

We are new to a fifth wheel and was wondering how well the Monty handles while traveling in windy conditions. At what MPH wind do you worry about it? We are planning a trip to Laughlin this weekend and wind is predicted.

Thanks in advance for your input!

RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
RLVoumard
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6034
We just returned from Las Vegas ( home is in the Central Valley of Ca ) and on our departure from Las Vegas the wind was 15-20 mph all through the desert. I was surprised at how well the Montana handled these conditions. I sure many factors come into play..direction,speed,gusts etc....If in doubt, shut things down until conditions improve.

There is a currant wind advisory in effect for Central California, including the deserts.
RLVoumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
It's almost a judgement call, as the wind velocity is seldom predicted accurately until after it happens. Just watch your mirrors. Gusts are the biggest hazard, and can toss you around quite a bit. Be prepared when coming out from under a bridge or cut in the road with a crosswind, or even when being passed by a large truck.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well they handle very well in windy conditions. We encountered some very high winds in New Mexico and Arizona pulling the 3400 with our 1 ton Dually. Flags starched and those wind socks along the hiway full..however most folks tend to seriously underestimate wind velocity the truth is a 45/50 MPH wind is a dangerous wind. We listen to the CB and watch the 18 wheelers..when they become concerned about the wind speed we also become concerned.If we feel uncomfortable with the wind we would rather pull over than take the chance...what's the hurry..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I agree with Brad and Rich, The Montana handles wind well but if unsure, drop your speed and get off the road. Its like sailing, if you thing you need to shorten sails it may be too late. That is, if you get hit hard enough to be worrisome it may be too late. None of us have had the opportunity to test our skills until we are in it beyond our skills. I don't want to be there so play it safe.

Rich mentioned the wind socks and flags. These are good indicaters because they make you alert. The other thing I notice is if you can actually see trees and bushes moving as you are rolling along, the wind is really blowing hard -- it is time to be really alert.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:02 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I follow my gut when towing in winds. So far I have been in 35 plus MPH winds and coach handled well. If you feel it is time to stop, then it is probably time to stop. If the winds get blowing like they will in Wyoming, Montana and the Dakota's I usually drop the speed to 60 - 62 mph. Again, I follow my gut and nobody else when it comes to what feels comfortable towing for me.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:54 AM   #7
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
The best answer is what you are comfortable with. I watch the truckers and pay attention to how the rig is handling. It isn't just the wind speed but the direction of the winds and the wind gusts. While traveling to Victoria last weekend, the winds were blowing steadily and flags were stretched out. We slowed to betweeen 50 and 55 and just took it easy.
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:12 AM   #8
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Now take heed if it is a head or cross wind. Now if it is a tail wind set the sail high drive the distance and enjoy the mileage you get.
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:18 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Preferred conditions:

Headwind: less than 15 MPH, much over, and fuel useage starts jumping big time.

Tailwind: 35 MPH is OK, 40 or over??? Push me home, yeeehaaa

Getting hit full side wind: the worst, but of course, have done 25 to 35, but same as headwind, fuel useage goes WAYYY UP

Have a choice, we prefer to run on days with wind forecast at 0 to 20. Sometimes have to fight choice vs 'gotta be there'syndrom.

Last words: be safe, you are nervous??, get off the road.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:44 AM   #10
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
We lost our awning in a 60 mph wind. Our speed 40. That makes it a 100 mph bad deal. Did not know the wind was that high till the evening news. However, the coach did very well. Now have a locking device on the awning. Yes, other rigs had stopped along the freeway. This past winter drove 7 hours in a 30 mph headwind. 60 was our speed - 90 mph on the nose cap. You could watch the fuel neddle move (almost).
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:48 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Driving in windy conditions is a judgment call. I don't watch what others are doing. If I don't feel comfortable, I don't move. If I followed what a lot of RVers are doing, I'd be traveling 70-75 mph and passing everything in sight regardless of what the wind is doing. We have to be smart and know that as we travel we need to take time to smell the roses. If it is too windy, that's exactly what we do.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:02 AM   #12
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Thanks everyone for the great advice! When we had our pull trailer, we were never in winds more than 35 MPH and it did just fine too. We agree with most here that if we are uncomfortable, we stop. Problem is most times we only have a few days to camp then its back to the old salt mines, so every moment counts! We would never do anything stupid.

Didn't think that the awning could detach! We will look for something to secure it with a bit better. Are there locking devices out there? Or do we make one out of bungee cord or something like that?

We are happy to hear that the Montanas handle the wind, we were worried that it would fish tail being so tall. We are not looking forward to the MPG dwindling though! It's all worth it though to enjoy a few relaxing days in our Monty!

Again, thanks to all that replied! You are the best!

RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote