Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2024, 06:52 PM   #1
jkxtreme
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33751
Microwave Convection Function

Microwave / convection issues:
When we operate the microwave convection oven in convection mode, I get an odor that smells like paper smoldering. Has anyone had an issue when using the convection mode.
Also, the microwave and our central vac come off the same breaker. When the microwave is operating, the central vac won't work. Does anyone know how the system prevents the central vac from operating when the microwave is running.

jkxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:13 PM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
You need to include the year and model of your trailer.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:40 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If it is new, the odor may be the “new hot odor” smell. Not uncommon and usually fades over time. Common on devices using electric heating coils. Also some units have the convection oven exhausting the heat into a confined space behind the oven causing materials back there to become quite hot. If the odor is something new then there may be a problem with it.

If that central vac is on the same breaker as the microwave/convection there may be a load sharing device to prevent both operating at the same time to prevent tripping the breaker.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:40 PM   #4
jkxtreme
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33751
2023 Montana 3901 RK
Old 03-01-2024, 07:42 PM   #5
jkxtreme
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33751
We purchased the unit 'used' but I don't believe it was used very much. I know it was purchase originally in Dec of 2022, but we saw it fore sale 'used' in July 2023 as a used 2023.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:47 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The convection mode may have never been used. Microwave mode doesn’t generate that same heat.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:49 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If you add your year and floorplan to your signature it will always show when you post.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:31 AM   #8
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Regarding operating both microwave and vacuum at the same time.
There is a device called a "Power Sharing Switch" that has two appliances Sharing one circuit breaker. Mine is located under the stairs behind the basement wall.

As for the microwave, I have read of where people have removed the microwave to replace it and found scorch marks on the wall behind it. We replaced ours (died after two years a few days out of warranty). There was no evidence of scorch marks on the wall behind it, however we never used the convection cooking feature. The replacement was microwave only for that reason.
I would suggest for anyone who finds scorch marks on the wall behind the microwave, I would add a piece of sheet metal behind the microwave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3rd AC Power sharing switch basement.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	16589  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 06:49 AM   #9
jkxtreme
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33751
Thanks a bunch. I didn't know they used power sharing devices in these RVs. I'll look for one in this unit.
Old 03-06-2024, 01:18 PM   #10
ACKLM8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25709
The power share switch issue was mentioned elsewhere in the thread...just an additional note is that they can be set to prioritize one of the two "appliances" connected to it. Usually the microwave is prioritized, so the vacuum plays second fiddle. Also, regarding the convection situation, be sure your exhaust vent is open on the outside when using convection. Also, there is also the possibility that when the unit was installed the blower was not configured properly to vent out the back. You can check this by turning on the exhaust fan and checking for strong airflow outside.
ACKLM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 01:35 PM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Unless they have changed, the micro/convection cabinet is not provided with an outside vent. I know some of those who have posted pictures of the blackened wall behind the micro/convection had no way to vent at all.

My older rig micro/convection actually had a metal duct attached to the back of the cabinet, up the back of the cabinet from the hot air exhaust opening, over the top of the cabinet toward the front, and the heat vented thru the front grill/frame.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:51 PM   #12
sberlin
Established Member

M.O.C. #22049
Had ours go out a couple years ago and when removing discovered burn marks on back wall. The old one wasn’t an outdoor vent and was set to vent out the rear-right into the wall, instead of front. Not saying this is ur smell….but it could be. If yours is vented outside just double check the vents connected. If it’s not, can you feel the vent air coming out the front or not?
sberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:14 PM   #13
Kris & Al
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18907
Used our convection the first week we had it 10 years ago and smelled a burning smell. Opened the vent outside, and never had that problem again. We use it every trip, and odor free!
Kris & Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 08:35 AM   #14
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris & Al View Post
Used our convection the first week we had it 10 years ago and smelled a burning smell. Opened the vent outside, and never had that problem again. We use it every trip, and odor free!
Yes, if it's vented outside there will be plastic clips holding the vent closed. I think it's to keep the flap closed while traveling. I opened mine and just leave it unclipped. Never had a problem.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 06:12 AM   #15
jkxtreme
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33751
The vent on our rig has tabs on it to lock the flapper closed. Sure enough it was locked closed.

Tags
central vac, convection oven