Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
Houston to Chattanooga

Leaving at the end of Aug. on a trip to Chattanooga, Tn. First leg of route will be to family in Tyler, Tx. Then leaving taking I-20 to Shreveport, La. to Meridian, Ms. Then I-20/59 to Birmingham, Al and then I-59 to Chattanooga. Ok, heres my question. I have never traveled this route, anyone who has, is there anything I need to look out for? Any information going this route will be helpful. Thanks and be safe!

Texas Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:46 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Firefighter, This is a "road well traveled" to me. The only thing I can think of that has been a problem was the section of I-59 just after it diverged from I-20 bypass. [BTW, the bypass around Birmingham to the south is great!] Back to I-59: that section right past where I20 goes on to Atlanta was the roughest single section of highway I've ever encountered. BUT... that was several years ago and I've not been on that section since. We can hope it has been repaired or replaced.

It was so bad, in fact, that I said to Shirley, "I'm getting off at the next exit, no matter where it goes!" I did just that, and fortunately found a country road that went in the right direction. When we came to a detour and were directed back to I-59, the interstate was just fine. It must not have been more than 10-15 miles and probably less since I did not continue on I-59.

I can tell you about multiple RV parks along the way, if you would like such information, send me an email or PM [see my profile].

I came to Magnolia, Texas in 1952 as a 19 year old pastor. Five years later I married a girl from Magnolia. We celebrated our 52nd. Wedding Anniversary last month.

Where are you stayhing in Tyler? Perhaps at family home. Let me know, we are often in Tyler. In fact, were there yesterday.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:40 AM   #3
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
Thank You David! This is the information I was looking for. We will not be staying in Tyler, just meeting up with my brother and sister-in-law. They just bought an Everest this year. Most of the time we all travel together on vacation. We went West last year so this year we are going East. We already have our reservations, staying in Monroe La, Birmingham Al, and then on to Chatttanooga Tn. We can't wait to go! Thanks again, John Daniels
Old 07-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
John, I have also traveled this route a few times. David is right on about I-59 north of birmingham on being very very rough. Like a washboard. The way I go, is take I-65 north to hwy 72 that bypasses Huntsville, and its all 4 lane and usually not alot of traffic.72 goes to I-24 which then is only about 30 miles from chattanooga. Plus the space center off of 72 at Huntsville is nice to visit on the way to chattanooga. hope this helps.
Tom
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
Thank You Tom, You bet it helps! I like this route you gave me. I looked it up in the atlas after reading your post. I think we will reroute and take I-65/Hyw 72/I-24. This is great information. It has been a while since I have been on MOC until this week. I really need to stay more intouch with the good MOC members like you and David. Thank you again, John Daniels
Ps. If you think of anything else, let me know! I will talk to our group about the Space Center in Huntsville.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:42 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Can't help you get there but I do know of a little known campground in the area.
Shipps RV Center & Campground
6728 Ringgold Rd
Chattanooga, TN 37412
(423) 892-8275ý
campingworldofchattanooga.com

When we were there last year we stayed in a cramped site at Best Holiday Trav-L-Park of Chattanooga. When I say "cramped" I mean I barely fit the Monty in and had little extra room for the TV. When I asked about other CGs I was told every other CG was full so we settled for Holiday.
At Holiday I was told that the site could accommodate a 40 footer. Problem was where do I park the TV?
Holiday site pics...
http://i30.tinypic.com/a9l8ub.jpg
In the above I am in as far as I can go and yet the TV still sticks out on the driveway. The grassy area had plenty of room for the TV but I was forbidden to park there.
http://i32.tinypic.com/21jayds.jpg
Can I get any closer? Had to pull forward just so Lorraine could get in.
The next day we drove over to the Camping World store, less that 2 miles away, and found not only Camping World but they also had an RV park. A little known RV Park with vacancies and considerably less expensive. And every bit as good as Holiday. Next time we do Chattanooga we will be Camping at Camping World.
Camping World is the same exit as Holiday off of I-75 exit 1.

BTW-The link posted above is for the Camping World store. I could not find an actual link to the campgrounds.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
Thanks Gleen, I think we have reservations at Raccoon Mountain RV Park in Chattanooga. I will keep in mind your hidden RV Park if we do not like where we are staying in TN. Be Safe, John Daniels
Old 07-16-2009, 02:42 AM   #8
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
John, another good CG is Chester Frost county park. it has all paved sites, large sites, 50/30amp water, but no sewer. They have several dump sites and it is located on Chickamauga Lake. Its less than 10 miles from downtown chattanooga, 5 miles to Wallyworld, restaurants, Northgate mall, Its a beautiful campground with all paved roads, lots of good fishing, walking or biking. it has lake sites and off lake sites. I think you and your family would love it. its easy to get to from I-75
Tom
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:22 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Texas Firefighter

Thanks Gleen, I think we have reservations at Raccoon Mountain RV Park in Chattanooga. I will keep in mind your hidden RV Park if we do not like where we are staying in TN. Be Safe, John Daniels
Stayed at Raccoon a couple years ago and would have stayed last year but they were full hence I got stuck at Holiday.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote