Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
Sisarsky

M.O.C. #5475
Water leak at bottom of bedroom step

Have had 3 different rv dealer's try to fix a leak on my 2008 2980RL without being able to duplicate the leak. Seems to come from the shower but we can't get it to leak when the dealer tries to find where it is coming from. It shows up at the bottom of the step into the bedroom from the kitchen area. The dealer has caulked the shower and checked the pipes going to the shower faucet. Unfortunately only happens once every couple of weeks. Would appreciate any suggestions

Sisarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
If it's the same as my 2955RL check behind the steps. Look in the pass through compartment and remove the panel, that would be under your shower area. Could it be your water pump leaking? You should be able to find the leak in there, as there is a lot of plumbing in that area. You could fill the system with Pink anti-freeze and leave pressure on the system. The leak should show up with pink drops. I did have one fitting come loose in that area and was able to tighten it up, no more leak. Good luck finding it.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have had a leak in that same location three times. First time it was loose connections near the water pump. Second time it was a connection I missed in that same area. Third time it was connection to the shower faucet, which is above and just a little forward of that area. Those are some things you can check although your layout may differ from ours.

Another person had a leak at the checkvalve on the black tank flush and it showed as water in that same area. In our model, that valve is accessed through an inspection plate in the back wall of the pantry, which is just above that leak area and slightly to the left.

Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
Had the same problem - then realized that the water was only there after I had used the black tank flush - the back water valve is up behind the shower (WHY???)
also the inspection hatch for the shower head isn't big enough to get to the valve - had to cut a bigger inspectionj hole - found the fittings not even finger tight. Some of the 'old world crafstmen" need to go back to the 'old world":
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
I would like to piggy back on Steve's comments. We have experienced almost the same leaks as Steve has mentioned. Water pump connection leaks, pipe leaks behind the convenience center panel and also the pipes and connections leading to the bath/shower faucets. All leaks showed up by puddling to the left of the steps to the master bedroom and in front of the pantry cabinet. The last leak, the pump connection leak, was the hardest to find and it is my current thinking that I may have inadvertently caused that leak by bumping the lines/connections to the pump while fixing the other pipe leaks. Our first major leak was when a plastic pipe came off a bib and that flooded the kitchen and I'm not even including that one because it was so large and obvious it doesn't apply as "hard to find". I was able to push the pipe back on the bib w/o loosening the pipe clamp. It apparently had never been tightened properly at the factory. Really upset me. With the exception of the many other water leaks we had in the first 3 days of ownership which I haven't even mentioned here, I was able to fix all these leaks myself. Not because I wanted to but because it was quicker, more convenient and less expensive to do so rather than uprooting the RV and taking it to a dealer. Whenever possible, while the unit was under warranty, I have had almost all repairs done at the dealer even if I knew what the problem was and knew how to fix it. Even simple ones. IMHO the only way that Montana will ever improve their manufacturing quality will be due to excessive warranty repair costs and/or a customer revolt. IMHO they haven't learned that yet. But haven't bought a new Montana unit in over 2 years so I don't have first hand knowledge if their assembly/manufacturing quality has improved since our unit was manufactured. And if our litany of problems we have experienced with our unit over two years continues, we will never buy another Montana. Our 3400RL is currently at the dealer getting a Black tank replaced due to it leaking from a large crack above the exit pipe. A major, out of warranty expense but still less than the cost of an Extended Warranty policy. I'm sure you will read into this response that I am more than dissatisfied and very annoyed with the quality of the 3400RL we received. You will be correct in that perception.

Had we not had this forum to access and get valuable help from several members during our many and continuing problems we would have "up the creek w/o a paddle".
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:44 AM   #6
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
We had a tough leak as well. Ours finally turned out to be water running under the faucets in the shower while showering. No rubber seal or pipe dope to prevent the water from running under the faucet.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:19 AM   #7
robertwhenderson

M.O.C. #7708
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dean A Van Peursem

I would like to piggy back on Steve's comments. We have experienced almost the same leaks as Steve has mentioned. Water pump connection leaks, pipe leaks behind the convenience center panel and also the pipes and connections leading to the bath/shower faucets. All leaks showed up by puddling to the left of the steps to the master bedroom and in front of the pantry cabinet. The last leak, the pump connection leak, was the hardest to find and it is my current thinking that I may have inadvertently caused that leak by bumping the lines/connections to the pump while fixing the other pipe leaks. Our first major leak was when a plastic pipe came off a bib and that flooded the kitchen and I'm not even including that one because it was so large and obvious it doesn't apply as "hard to find". I was able to push the pipe back on the bib w/o loosening the pipe clamp. It apparently had never been tightened properly at the factory. Really upset me. With the exception of the many other water leaks we had in the first 3 days of ownership which I haven't even mentioned here, I was able to fix all these leaks myself. Not because I wanted to but because it was quicker, more convenient and less expensive to do so rather than uprooting the RV and taking it to a dealer. Whenever possible, while the unit was under warranty, I have had almost all repairs done at the dealer even if I knew what the problem was and knew how to fix it. Even simple ones. IMHO the only way that Montana will ever improve their manufacturing quality will be due to excessive warranty repair costs and/or a customer revolt. IMHO they haven't learned that yet. But haven't bought a new Montana unit in over 2 years so I don't have first hand knowledge if their assembly/manufacturing quality has improved since our unit was manufactured. And if our litany of problems we have experienced with our unit over two years continues, we will never buy another Montana. Our 3400RL is currently at the dealer getting a Black tank replaced due to it leaking from a large crack above the exit pipe. A major, out of warranty expense but still less than the cost of an Extended Warranty policy. I'm sure you will read into this response that I am more than dissatisfied and very annoyed with the quality of the 3400RL we received. You will be correct in that perception.

Had we not had this forum to access and get valuable help from several members during our many and continuing problems we would have "up the creek w/o a paddle".

And I thought my 3400RL (2008) was just a lemon built on a Friday afternoon or a Monday morning! In less than a year I have had the gray water dump valve replaced and both gray and black tanks replaces. Several leaks from loose connectors, one requiring the kitchen slide to be removed and part of the kitchen floor to be replaced. Toilet leak in the basement area (they forgot to put thread sealant on the toilet waste pipe). Both AC rockers switches had to be replaced(real junk)and the list goes on. Fortunately all was under warranty. But now that the unit is out of warranty I have developed a leak in the sewer flushing system. Every time I flush the black tank the sliding bedroom door gets wet. Why these pipes are in this area is beyond me, I guess I'll have to call Keystone customer service, what a joke that will be.(LOL).

As you said we too will NEVER buy another Montana or anything else made by Ketstone!!!

Robert
robertwhenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
Butch&Carol
Established Member

M.O.C. #7795
We also had a water leak that pooled at the left side of steps on our 3500rl Dealer said it was the shower leaking but I found out that the water pump line was loose
Butch&Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Our 3400 is at the dealers getting warranty work done also. In our case the shower leaked, but only when showering. It was leaking in three places, first was around the faucet (garden tub/shower combo,) around the door base, and the third and hardest to find was a leak dripping into the basement. I spent all week while we were out checking, and finally found that it was leaking in the corner of the shower stall, running down the wall behind the trim piece, and through the joint right into the basement. It threw me, because all the others showed up under the shower space, this one did not. Only way I found it was moving the trim piece against the BR wall aside a bit, and there was a rivulet of water going down the wall.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #10
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
Funny thing I sldo have the water leak at the base of the stairs but only when when trying to flush the black tank.
Seems that Keystone likes to help us keep our tanks full of thier sh**** construction.
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote