Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2008, 04:32 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I Can't Believe ................

Let me start out by stating that Nancy and I love our 2005 2955. But I made a mistake and went to the dealer where we bought her and right there was a 2008 2955RL in all her glory! I couldn't believe all of the changes they did to our model. How do others on this board handle the "urge" to do you know what (trade up) to a new year? For the folks that have traded up have you found that the Monty tends to hold the value for a trade?
I know we love the 5th wheel type of rving and would probably never go to a MH especially with fuel costs. The TV is not an issue because we own that free and clear. I wonder if we could protect our current investment $$ in the Montana if we would role it up into a newer year?

I now believe! The wife and I went back to the dealership to talk. It was an absolute joke! I really think that his business is so BAD that they cannot afford to give good deals these days.

We came back home and sat in OUR Monty and both agreed that we did the best thing by walking out of the dealership.

I was wrong thinking I could use the bad economy to get a good deal, but you never know till you ask! Ya know, ours is looking really good right now!

Happy Camping!

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:02 AM   #2
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I agree with you that the new Montana's certainly are nice. We have only had ours for a week and we didn't exactly trade up for our new unit as the 2006 was damaged beyond repair. Montana's do hold their value much better than other brands. Most used units cost almost as much or sometimes more than a new one.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:06 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We had the 2003 2955. As with anything, there are significant changes each year and at some point you make a decision that it would be easier to trade up than to try and retrofit all the new features onto your existing rig. We did that in 2007 to take advantage of the newer axles, electrical, and frames.

Heck, I'm starting to slobber at the 2008 models!

I found that trading up for the same brand tends to give some benefit on trade in value - however you still have to remember that the guy they call Dealer has the same name as the guy in the bow tie behind the black jack table and they both make livings off of folks like us, so there are no good deals, just deals less worse than others.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:08 AM   #4
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Newer models depreciate more than models older than 3 years. After the first 3 years there is a small difference in price for each year. Newer models..Price a new one and one a year old. It's just the nature of the beast.
I don't see how you can protect you $$$ by spending money.
Maybe someone can show me how.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #5
TMerrell
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7988
If you decide to go with the 2008, you might consider selling the 2005 privately, paying off your loan, and using any residual $'s as a down payment on the 2008. I've used an internet based company (can't recall name right now) and NADA to compare wholesale, private party, trade-in, and retail prices. I found negotiating my best price with the dealer was a lot simpler and less stressful when I did not have to worry about what they were offering on the trade-in. You can bet it will be less than you can sell it for yourself.

As far as the "urge", tough to resist, I think looking at the $ cost might help a little.

We have the '08 2955 you are looking at and we love it. I believe we paid a fair price for it (or at least I've convinced myself of that). I also have an '08 Keystone Montana "MSRP" document that proved very helpful during negotiations. It shows suggested retail for all Montana models and cost of options. PM me if interested.

TMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I know looking at the $'s helped us resist the urge, at least for this weekend. We are going to wait until next year. Yes, there are a lot of changes made, and probably more coming.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Depreciation is a killer but we're on our third Montana and found they do a bit better in trades than I had thought they would. Dealers want them because used Montanas are in demand. Or were when the economy is better. They won't tell you that and will try to give you book tradein value so you have to remind them about the demand for used Montanas. You still take a beating on trade if you bought new and haven't had the rig a long time.

As for controlling the urge, it's really very simple for me. I just look at our checkbook balance. That kills the urge every time.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
As for controlling the urge, it's really very simple for me. I just look at our checkbook balance. That kills the urge every time.

Funny thing,that works for us too.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:07 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Killing my urge is the least of my problems... Don't any of you have a WIFE???????

Even after explaining the financial restraints of such a move, she just looks at me and says, "So? I want one." How do you deal with THAT logic. My job is then to go out and make the impossible happen...

I am trying to keep her away from any dealerships for a couple more years.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:48 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I don't know of any 5th wheel that doesn't (DEPRECIATE)very fast. We have owned 4 new 5th wheels since Feb 2005. Traded the first two in only had one that we didn't loose money on, but we only had it for 1 month. The second one was a Everest 343L, by for the best for not having problems. We traded the Everest 343L for the Cambridge, the best 5th wheel we will ever own. I don't think with the options that were standard on the Cambridge can be got today with the same options for less than a $100,000. Keystone made a mistake in making the Cambridge for only one year? However they have added a few options to the Montana's that were standard on the Cambridge. That being said, never go to a RV dealership and buy without going home and sleep on it. Its very tempting when you see all the bells and whistles.

I sold our Cambridge and lost money of course, but if we had traded we would have lost a ton of money. Price your 5th wheel right and it will sell no matter what brand. And then take cash to the Dealership, never finance with the Dealership, you will get ripped. However now is a good time to buy with Diesel prices the way they are, not a lot of people buying expensive 5th wheels, but I think it will get a lot worse in the next year. We got a 2009 model (SOB) at what I think was a fair price. Good Luck on your decision.... GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:57 AM   #11
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
There is only one solution to this madness. Do not go to a dealers place of business or a camper show and look at anything. Just tell yourself that you have the latest and greatest, updated 5er that was ever built, no matter what year it is. It is like an alcoholic trying to quit. He doesn't go to a bar to buy himself a can of pop or soda.......JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:30 AM   #12
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
We had an 05 2955 and made the mistake of going to the Dealer to see the new 2007 3400RL, we bought it! My advice, stay away from the Dealer and RV shows unless you are ready for a new rig.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:52 AM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Aw Pete! You got the itchies and scratched!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #14
digger
Established Member

M.O.C. #581
I just look at the payment book for the one we have
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:18 PM   #15
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I wasn't looking to trade in the Mountaineer when a dealer called me out of the blue. I contacted this dealer the year before when I was looking for a rig. I traded in the Mountaineer for $8000 more than I paid for it less than two years ago. I also had to drive $600 miles to pick it up.
If you have your financing in order before you go to the dealer they have to play by your rules. If they don't want to play by your rules go to another dealer and tell them your going. Just remember to send the first dealer/salesman a picture of you and your new rig. He won't make the same mistake twice.
It worked for me.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:35 AM   #16
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Send a message via AIM to osofine
I need to look at new ones - but I'm afraid to. I will get the yen for the newer one. I am very happy with my 3280RL, but I need to know what was in the pantry cabinet on the ceiling of it. It looks like some kind of white plastic that might have held a slide out something or other. Anyone know what it might be? I know it will be cheaper to find out online what it is than going to the dealer and opening the door of nice new Monty and falling in love................
osofine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:23 AM   #17
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
osofine:
Haven't you got a nice neighbor that you could loan a camera to to go to the dealer or a show and take pictures for you... You don't get so love sick that way.....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:38 PM   #18
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Bob,

We have been to the RV shows and have found that I prefer my 2005 2955rl much better than the newer ones. For one, I would miss the doors that close the bedroom off from the shower area. When we have guests stay with us, that set of doors come in handy for the privacy it offers both to us as well as our guests. The new ones only have the curtain, which I find to be cheap, annoying, and problematic.

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #19
TMerrell
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7988
Tom, agree with you on the door to isolate the bedroom. We had it on our last one and loved it. Wish it was on this one.
TMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #20
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Im sure most of us are veterans at the rv dealers and already learned this but my advise to those looking to trade is to do some reasearch on used values, find out your closeout on the current loan if you have one, and figure out just how much difference youre willing to pay between rigs, either with cash or financed when the deal is done. If you dont, when their done with thier crazy shell game they'll have you so confused you wont know how much you paid or what you got on trade. Obviously The best and most difficult route is selling outright and starting with a clean deal at the dealer.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote