Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
pard
Established Member

M.O.C. #5464
Back up camera

For those of you who have a back up camera for your trailer, does one camera work ok or do you need two? I want to get one for my husband for Christmas, but don't know what to get. Thanks for the help.

Pat

pard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:21 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Sorry I can't help, but I sure hope my wife reads this. LOL.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:16 AM   #3
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I might have to leave this thread open as well!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:31 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
lot of us got ours from www.rvcams.com.. I have one camera mounted on the rear of the 3400..It will take two inputs.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:36 AM   #5
trfield58
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7109
Pat, like richfaa, I also bought my complete setup (rear camera and 5.5" Color Monitor) from Tim at www.rvcams.com. Tim is great and with some help from a few members here I was able to do an awesome installation. It works great. I use the second input for a portable DVD player. It sure is nice to roll down the highway and see over 100 feet behind you, 3 lanes wide...YAHOO

Tim
trfield58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:09 PM   #6
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Tim and Rich: If you two wouldn't mind -- what camera and monitor did you get? Many choices and not sure which is better for the $$. Thanks.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:17 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We got the 56-CHNV. That is a 5.6 inch monitor..does not sound very big but it plenty big enough. At the time we purchased ours, about 1 year ago Tim said that monitor had the best resolution and I agree..it has very good resolution. The night vision feature is excellent..We leave the audio off when traveling as you can hear all the traffic around you and the wind howling by.To me the Rv cam is a must have if you are on the road a lot a nice to have if you are not.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #8
trfield58
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7109
We also purchased the 56-CHNV. I am extremely happy with the system. Tim from RVCams told me that the 5.5 inch monitor is actually just as good as the 7 inch because the 7 inch monitor is just a little wider, not taller (kind of like a wide screen TV) I also turn the volumn down as it is annoying driving down the road.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #9
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Ok Rickfaa and trfield58 how did you route the rear camera wiring to the truck.

I ask as I have the same system and will be mounting it on my 08 Big Sky. Do either of you have any pictures of your install and especially the camera mounted on the unit. Also where did you bring in your wiring and route it thru the unit. I presume you ran it along the frame and up to the Pin Box and then installed a electrical box for the umbilical connection?

Thanks
Bob
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I did mine the lazy persons way since I am a lazy person.Others were much more professional. Camera is mounted on the top rung of the rear ladder.My ladder is on the right side of the 06 3400. Ran the cable down the ladder rail and under the 3400. Ran the cable along the underbelly, if you got ambitious you could run it inside the underbelly, angled it over to the passenger side propane compartment and into the compartment. The top of the compartment is the floor of the 3400 bedroom under the dresser..then along the floor and into the closet. If you drill a hole under the hitch up into the camper that will be about in the middle of the closet floor. Feed the cable down into the hitch and the spare cable will store under the hitch. The cable is taped to the underbelly with gorilla tape and has been that way for over a 17 months. I may get ambitious and run the cable under the underbelly this winter......in Flordia....
Old 11-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #11
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Has anybody ever tried the $99 wireless sets of camera and monitor from Schucks or Home Depot?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:42 AM   #12
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Pard, One is all you need for the trailer but I also have one on my truck. It is nice when in parking lots and hooking up to boat and other pull type trailers. I also purchased my unit from Tim at RV Cams. If you do a search you will see pictures of how I ran the cables and mounted everything.

Mike, I have tried both cheap and expensive wireless units and was not happy with them. They pick up to much interference when driving down the road. Cell phones other wireless units people have in their homes and yards. If you are driving with the sun hitting the camera the video is wiped out.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:12 AM   #13
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
I was thinking about the back up cameras last weekend while backing into our site after the sun went down at the mini rally. Our place had alot of trees overhead - even though it was so bright out with the full moon, our spot was in the dark. So, from what y'all have said about turning down the volume, if I were talking in the back of the Monty, Dano would hear me through the screen in the TV? That would sure beat flashlights and walkie talkies. Guess I need to check out that website as well.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:23 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It has good audio and real good night vision although we rarely use it for backing into a site..It is used as a rear view mirror.We still prefer backing into a site the old fashioned way. One of us out with a radio watching everything.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:14 AM   #15
trfield58
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7109
Like richfaa, we use ours mostly as a rear view mirror when rolling down the road, however I do have my DW at the rear and am able to see her from camera as well as my truck mirrors when backing up. She tends to drift out of my truck mirrors because she forgets. With the camera, I can still see her. As far as installation, I removed the marker light on the top of the rig on the extreme left side (In line with the left tail light) I then drilled down through the plywood which gets you past the roof and into the cavity of the rear fiberglass cap. Removed the left tail light assembly and "fished" to the opening of tail light. Then drilled a hole (where the camera is to be mounted) and fished from that hole to the removed marker light. That gives you a complete path from the camera to the tail light. From the tail light, I went to the bottom of rig and zip tied the cable along the bottom. I then went into the left LP Gas compartment and from there to the front basement compartment along the top. From there I fished between the fiberglass skin out to the PIN Box where I installed the end of the "heavy duty trailer disconnect" end I purchased. This provides a large, coiled cabled that interfaces between the truck and coach. Looks kind of like what you see between a Semi truck and trailer..... I didn't take any pictures during my install but will take a few this weekend if you want???

Tim
Old 11-02-2007, 06:55 AM   #16
pard
Established Member

M.O.C. #5464
Thanks everyone for your replies. Now I not only know what to get, but where to get it. Hopefully it will help with some of our "discussions" when parking the 5th wheel.

Pat
pard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #17
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
I have the wireless camera from Walmart. Works great. I do get static at times, because I have a loose wire somewhere in the system. I hooked it to my tail lights and leave it on all day while driving. Have it mounted to my ladder to watch my Harley on the back. Went from Wisconsin to Texas..arrived today in Texas and it worked super the whole way...except for that loose wire somewhere...which I will find, then I will loose the snow on the screen.
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote