Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
dscott
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6661
Sealing Holes In The Under Carriage

I'am getting my 3400 ready for Fl.and I have sealed all the cracks and holes except the ones where the rams come through the frame.Has anybody put any kind of boots on these or some thing else to keep critters out of the undercarriage?

dscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Heading toward us, Don? We left N. MI the 13th of Oct and we are snuggled in here in Central FL for the winter. We have not had any problems with our rams for the last 1 1/2 years. I think you will be OK.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:03 PM   #3
dscott
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6661
Glad to here you haven't had any problems,my wife don't like uninvited house guests,thats why I have been pluging holes. I'am retiring the end of Nov. leaving for FL.Dec.2 we will be south of you in Frostproof at Rainbow Resort.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Good luck on your trip, Don. You are going to be 44 miles down US-27 from us.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
If you are always going to be south you can seal them up. However you have to have some open spots so air can flow out when the furnace is running. If not you will have back pressure and no hot air will reach the belly to protect the holding tanks and water lines.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:12 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Some folks will say don't do it.. We did.Figured the idea was to keep warm air in the underbelly and not let it pour out through the many and large openings not to mention road water intrusion. As for the circulation..there are plenty of placed for ait to circulate all over the camper including the underbelly..there is no way all the openings could be blocked.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:36 AM   #7
dscott
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6661
Rich, how did you fix the holes around the rods? On the large slide that hole is about 2-1/2in.s
Old 10-31-2007, 12:37 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Been wintering in west central Florida for 4 years and have yet to have any critters invade our Monty's and I have none of the openings sealed. One thing I do reccommend is ANT spray. Spray everything on the rig that touches the ground. Including..The tires, jacks and stabilizers, all hoses, electrical and TV cables, even any tie downs for the awning, tripod or bipod. ANYTHING, that allows a pathway from ground to trailer. I spray everything at least once a month. Some folks like scouring powder but scouring powder will wash away with the rain, a good ant spray will not.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:26 AM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Glenn, what spray do you use for the ants? We arrived in Silver Springs two days ago and have been trying to get rid of ants ever since... There are a Kajillion on different kinds out there.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:57 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
What Glenn said about the ants. It is a necessity here in FL. We have the ant powder and like Glenn says, it is effective - until it rains. Plus it looks ugly - kinda like someone got off track lining a football field or baseball diamond - and can track into the Monty if not careful. I still works, though. You have to apply ant protection the INSTANT you set up here... Should probably be part of your "Florida Travel Setup Checklist".

Glenn, I am also curious what brand of spray you use.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:42 AM   #11
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
You might seal those ram holes with steel wool, I did. Of course when we move, the steel wool will have to be removed.
Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:17 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We also have never had a critter inside the camper. We used Gorilla tape to seal the holes large and small.The tape works fine as long as the surface is clean. If you try to tape over dirty underbelly it will not adhere for long. I jusr thought that all those holes in the underbelly and other places were like..having the artic package then leaving most of the windows open.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:30 AM   #13
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Don, we HAVE HAD squirrels enter our underbelly on the kitchen side of our underbelly through those ram holes. We now faithfully plug those holes with a wad of steel wool and remove before bringing in the slides. Just another thing to add to the tear down list before getting on the road. While our rig is stationary at home with the slides in we reinstall those wads, critters can be very destructive!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:57 AM   #14
dscott
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6661
I want to thank every body for there ideas on pluging the holes and Glenn and dsprik on the ants.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:34 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

Glenn, what spray do you use for the ants? We arrived in Silver Springs two days ago and have been trying to get rid of ants ever since... There are a Kajillion on different kinds out there.

Helen
Helen and Dave,
I am completely out of the dry and spray ant stuff. Used it up just prepping the area. When I prepped the area I did so before I even moved the trailer on site. I spread the dry stuff (NOT A POWDER) over the entire site and even infringe a bit into the neighbor's sites.
The dry is for fire ants. Than I spray the entire area with an ant killer that you attach to the garden hose.
After the trailer is set up I than spray everything that touches the ground and the trailer and I do mean everything but you only have to spray where it actually contacts the ground and not the entire object. This would include any tie down straps for the awning.
I started this process 3 years ago and have had no major problems with ant infestation on the site muchless in the trailer

I know I bought both at Home Depot and will be going back in the next couple days to restock. I you want to wait I will get the brand names.

BTW-You can tape and plug all the holes you can find but you will never plug them all and it only takes a very tiny hole to allow ants access to your trailer and a 3/4 inch hole is all Mickey would need.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:26 AM   #16
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Don, I went to NAPA and purchased a $10.00 truck mud flap and cut some 4" X 5" pieces, then cut a hole about 1" diameter. I then cut the hole out to the edge so it would slip over the cylinder shaft. Also added some slits around the hole and glued it into place. I have not closed the slider yet but am sure it will work. No way for the critters to get in via that area. I have some pictures if it will help, send me a PM and I will send them to you.

Good luck and happy camping,
Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:49 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree with Mudchief. If you are in subfreezing weather then you need some way to exhaust the air so the furnace duct can pour heat into the belly. Close it up too tight and you just reduce the flow of heat. That furnace duct in the belly is a 2-inch pipe and if you've ever dropped a corner of the bellypan while the furnace is running you know it pumps a lot of hot air into the belly. You need enough openings to exhaust that same amount or you're just reducing the amount of heat getting into the belly. If you will never be in subfreezing weather then seal away, this would be a moot point.

We have the same model, 2007 3400RL, and got down to below zero, Fahrenheit, last December, and a couple of weeks below 32, and never had any freezing problems. That's without closing any holes up in the belly.

To me, the reason to close up the holes is to keep critters out. I think I'd use a wire screen for that so the air can still flow. We once had a gray squirrel take up residence in the belly for a short time near the end of the 2006 Mt. Shasta rally. The screens would stop that but wouldn't probably stop mice and bugs.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote