Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2005, 11:13 AM   #21
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Definitely recommend go South first, then West. Be aware of the weather every day for your planned route. There is always a big ice storm in the KS/OK/MO area in late Jan/ early Feb. Almost set your clock by it.

I can't imagine trying to tow more than 300, maybe 350 miles/day, max, for an extended period of several days. Maybe 400 the first day to get South, but take it easier thereafter.

I ran a short "Streets and Trips" map program for the route and it shows, if you go south at first, I-81 from Syracuse all the way to Knoxville, TN, then I-40 all the way to Santa Rosa, NM, just short of Albuquerque. Then US 54 from Santa Rosa, NM to Alamogordo. It shows 39 hours DRIVING TIME at the somewhat reduced speeds you will want/need to tow at. 6 and 1/2 travel days....... Don't push it!! WATCH THE WEATHER FORECASTS !!!

Mornings in Alamogordo can be very cool, and usually warm up nicely during the day...layers are the clothing requirements. Wind can be a problem at times out there. The AF Base just south of Alamogordo, Holloman, is small but quite modern and nice.

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:31 AM   #22
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
The longest day will be the first. Chuck wants to get as far south as soon as possible. Will know more in the middle of January.
Mapquest had us going west then south. That added up to 2007 miles or 31 hours driving time.
We did from here (Syracuse) to PlaMor in one trip. Don't want to do that again. We were completely exhausted. A wee bit grumpy too to put it mildly.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:51 PM   #23
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Looks like time will be the critical factor. I cannot see how you could possibly do it in less than 5 days, and that only if the weather was perfect, and you switched driving every couple of hours. 7 days would be far better. You will be zombies by the time you get there, even then.

I would call the Holloman AFB operator and ask for the MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) office there. If you are there as an AF contractor, you MIGHT be able to arrange to stay at the RV facility on Base. Best place we saw in the whole area, and the price will be right. Worth a try, anyhow. If you want the ph #, e-mail me and I'll send it on the 5th. We are not at the rig at the moment.

The Base is about 4-5 miles south of the main part of town. Town has reasonable faciities...Applebee's, a small Mall, multiplex theater etc...White Sands Nat Park tour is a must, weekend (or full day trip) to Carlsbad Caverns also recommended, but the "hill" up to Cloudcroft is a "challange" I won't try it uphill in my 2500 diesel with my rig.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:39 PM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
PJ has good advice, but I would also have an alternate "further south" route, like I-20 for an emergency route. Bad weather on I-40 can be a reality, too. I spent an entire Dec (1981) on a drilling rig just north of Amarillo, TX. They got stuck in the hole at 4,000 ft (didn't follow my written instructions - got lazy on mixing the right chemicals for the drilling fluid). We spent all month trying to jar the drillpipe out of the zone that had caved in. Another engineer relieved me for 12 hrs on Christmas day so I go home and spend some time with my wife and 3 children. Drove back to Liberal, KS in a blinding snowstorm, then back to the rig in another storm for 3 more days. It was bad there in the Texas Panhandle all of Dec.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:34 AM   #25
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Carol and Chuck
Lots of luck in trying to get there in three days. That is a long haul. We were there a year ago in October. It was beautiful. Here is some information that I think will help.
Alamogardo Visitors Center, The Aubrey Dunn St. Visitors Center-Chanber of Commerce 1-800-826-0294 or 1-505-437-6120 On the main drag, or Alamogordo Chamber of Commerce, 1301 N. White Sands Blvd. Alamogordo,NM, 88310, same ph/no.
Places of Interest-White Sands Nat'l Monument, Lake Lucero,N.M. Museum of Space History and IMAX Theater, Alameda Park and Zoo, Toy Train Depot and Museum (on the main drag), Three Rivers Petroglyph Site, White Sand Missle Range Museum, plus a lot of other things including a golf course. That is if you are interested in that sort of idiocy. Chasing a little white ball? Whew. White Sands is a big sand trap. I had to try it anyway.
It sets at the base of the mountains. Go up there to the Observatory and much more. It is a beautiful dessert city. Enjoy your visit
Richard & Nell
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:38 AM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We enjoyed many of the things to see around Alamogordo that others already mentioned. I wanted to comment that when we head south in freezing weather we run the furnace at the lowest setting while on the road. That keeps it from freezing up and allows us to use our onboard water while overnighting. Some don't like to leave the furnace running but we've had no problem at all doing that. I have not noticed an inordinate amount of propane usage, either. If I recall, the lowest setting on ours is 45. Your call, but this is an option that makes the trip much less difficult. We've done this three winters without problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:00 AM   #27
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Carol,

My wife and I visited Alamogordo the first part of November. We stayed at the FAMCAMP on Holloman AFB. Since the AF is footing the bill for you, you may considere staying there. We paid $14 a night with full hook-up including cable and covered patio. The laundry is close by and a lot cheaper than most RV parks. Plus we shopped at the commissary and base exchange.

Lots of great places to visit. Such as, White Sands National Monument, Ruidoso (and Ruidoso Downs), and Cloudcroft. This is a great time of the year to visit there. The weather is fantastic. Summer time gets a tad warm for me (120 degrees).

Good luck on your trip.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:55 PM   #28
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Carlesbad Caverns is not to be missed. WOW!!!! If you stay in Carlesbad the best RV park is the Carlesbad KOA. 15 miles north of town but worth the drive. We were there 3 days and there is a lot to see. Something I want to do is visit the area longer and make all the stops on the Billy the Kid Trail. I bet that is a worthwhile adventure.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:08 PM   #29
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
Just another second to the great place Alamagordo, N.M. is to spend time. Ours is mostly winter months, but yeah - the heat jacks up come June on.

We home based in Las Cruces,N.M. with work and had many pleasant jaunts to White Sands, Carlsbad, City of Rocks and Alamagordo. There was a great prime rib place in Alamagordo - on the outskirts of town toward the Cloudcroft turnoff - kind of a rustic cowboy place - go there if you can - you won't be sorry.

Enjoy your trip.
Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote