Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
basement heater

since i had the crack in my gray water tank and had to take off one of basement pans i looked down the basement and Saw that one of those mice's that i had a wile back made a little house so i thought i would take off the rest of my basement pans to clean it out after i took off the next pan i found the so call basement heater vent they (keystone) put in as i looked at the black tank has closed off haft of the vent but that is not the bad part as i look at it there is no way this 1 1/4in vent will keep the basement of a 37 foot trailer warm so it will not freeze. and the so call insulation (Reflectix Radiant Barrier) has any one upgrade there basement i thinking of putting in some fans to move the little warm air around and use Polyisocyanurate Insulated so any ideas will help.

jimmy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I just drilled three 1 1/2" holes in the heat duct where it goes thru the basement spaced out and two on the deep side and one on the nearer side. So far I haven't had any issues down there, but I don't stay where it gets really cold at night anymore.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimmy2

since i had the crack in my gray water tank and had to take off one of basement pans i looked down the basement and Saw that one of those mice's that i had a wile back made a little house so i thought i would take off the rest of my basement pans to clean it out after i took off the next pan i found the so call basement heater vent they (keystone) put in as i looked at the black tank has closed off haft of the vent but that is not the bad part as i look at it there is no way this 1 1/4in vent will keep the basement of a 37 foot trailer warm so it will not freeze. and the so call insulation (Reflectix Radiant Barrier) has any one upgrade there basement i thinking of putting in some fans to move the little warm air around and use Polyisocyanurate Insulated so any ideas will help.
Actually, that furnace vent in the belly works quite well. Far better than one would think. It's advertised, I believe, as a 2-inch vent. We've been down to 5 below zero, fahrenheit, twice, without freezing. And we had a 10 day period where the high for the 10 days was 14. No freezing problem. The key is to make sure the furnace runs now and then.

If your 2006 has the newer nose and brown graphics, like the 2007, then you also have the water lines in their own insulated channel directly below the subfloor. That helps. Our 2003 Montana had the water lines laying on the frame and that was tough to keep from freezing.

The only thing I worry about is whether our electric heaters will keep the furnace from running enough. So I tend to lower the electric heater settings when the night is to get below about 24 or 25 degrees. If the temperature is to be below freezing for an extended period, more than just overnight, then I also lower the electric heater settings so the furnace will run.

Good luck with yours. Many of us have survived frigid weather just fine. Several have done far colder than we have.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote