Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #1
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Trying to keep my cool while staying cool.

We are going to my parents lake home with the Monty this 4th of July weekend.They live in a nice neighborhood and the the question I have is there any way to dampen the sound of my 2 Honda 2000 iu companion generators? Last year we tried it and the next door neighbor offered his power outlet in the garage to us and we took him up on his offer and had to reset his breaker in the garage twice during the weekend. My brother later informed me the neighbors didn't want to listen to the gennys running all weekend and have already offered the outlet to my dad for us to use this time.It is going to be very warm this weekend and I am also concerned about an a/c blackout.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Can't think of any way without compromising the cooling (air circulation) of the generators, and wouldn't add any noise suppression on the exhaust either.
Maybe relocating the generators and running a heavy gage cord to the trailer.
Or
Keep your Pappy out of trouble and take the guy up on the outlet. Maybe get him a gift cert. for dinner at Chili's...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:43 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Buy a cheater and run a heavy drop to another outlet , use only one AC.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Even most house outlets are only 15 amps. If you are lucky maybe there's a 20 amp. But this MIGHT only run one A/C with nothing else on (per your breaker reset comments)!

You definitely won't be running two A/Cs.

Good luck with this one.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Run your water heater and the frigerator on propane.
That will help you have more amps for A/C.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We just did this for 9 days and had no problems. We went to the hardware store and purchased a 50 amp receptacle. With 10 gauge wire we wired two household plugs into the receptacle - 1 for each leg. We tied the neutrals and the grounds together. We plugged our device into one outlet in the garage and with a heavy duty extension cord plugged into another 20 amp outlet on a different circuit. With our meters we watched our amperage usage and didn't trip any breakers.

The white label on one of the plugs is to let me know what leg goes to what meter.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Thanks for all the great advice!

Steve
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
How about some foam board like they use on houses? Put it around 3 sides and about 2ft to allow some air to move. You could put the Hondas under your awning so you could see what your neighbors are getting.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote