Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Landing Gear Let Down

Last week, the DW and I spent a few days in the Mojave National Preserve at the Hole-in-the-Wall Campground. The back-in slot that we used was not level so we had to retract the front landing gear almost all the way to get the Monty level. Three days later we tried to extend the gear to hook up. No way! All we got was "click, click, click, click, etc." After after a few simple words of my opinion of certain Lippert equipment, we broke out my 12 ton bottle jack and a few pieces of wood. By using the jack to begin raising the front, the DW was able to extend the gear just a little. So, I began pumping like crazy as she extended the gear. With no weight on them, they worked.

Today, I am at Edwards AFB FAMCAMP. The Monty is fairly level but still hooked up to the Dodge. Monday, I have an appointment with Paul Everts RV in Fresno to check out the gear and do whatever repairs are needed.

It is interesting that when the gear is extended 8 to 12 inches, it works well. When it is fully retracted (but NOT against the stops) it just gives me the clicking noise like missing teeth in the gears. Bummer, dude.

lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Two things: First, did you know you have a hand crank handle that, with effort, you can crank up the legs.

Second, the kind of thing you are talking about is what steered me to get the LevelUp system installed.

You probably have the problem diagnosed. My extended warranty paid for a new motor and gearbox on my 2003 Big Sky. So I decided to travel a different route on the landing gear problems I was experiencing on the 2008 Big Sky.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
The motor works fine. The rod that connects the 2 landing gear turned just like it is supposed to. The internal gearing of the front landing gear did not.

We have discussed getting the leveling system, but the price tag is outside of our budget. That's why we are workamping this summer.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Brad-- If you go the Search mode up in the upper right corner of this page and click on it, it will take you to the MOC search engine. Type in Front landing gear and check out the posts on this problem. There have been quite a few posts on this problem. John Kohl has pictures and all on this problem on one of his posts. He replaced the gears and it is relatively easy if you are even a little bit handy with tools. Also, if you check further, you will find threads on how to lube those gears so they do not bind or shear the teeth. There are 10 pages plus on landing gear so it may take a little to find it but it is there! If the front legs did not move at all, I'd say it was the shear pin but since they move it is more than likely the teeth in the gears are stripped.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Brad,
Here is the link RONDO mentioned.
You can click on the link in the first line for the picture show or click on this link.
Normally these gear teeth chip because the legs and been raised to the stops. I know that was my error.
Best of luck.
Thanks for your service.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Brad On my 08 3400 somehow my theaded rod was bent I first bought new gears and replaced them. You can't see the threads or screw that allows the up and down movement. First I would try to use the hand crank without any weight on it, if it is bent you will not be able to crank it past that point. I called lippert to send me the entire leg I think it was about $150. Not to hard to install these is a lip it hangs on on the frame once you have that correct you good to tighten bolts and hook the motor and rod back in .Good luck Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:41 AM   #7
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Thanks for the responses. I remember the postings when John did his gear change. I thought about doing that until the DW pointed out that we have been paying for an extended warranty to do just that. So, we will let the warranty we have been paying for, pay for this work.

We will let you know how well the Service Department at Paul Everts Cowboy Country RV does. When I called them, they told me that they had places where we can park and plug in while they do the work. It is a good start...let's hope the finish is as good.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Any time we had to run the gear a long time to get the rig up (down was easy), most likely our 40 amp fuse blew.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
dwells
Established Member

M.O.C. #6428
I have had problems with 07 3400rl blowing fuses on front landing gear since new. During my 3 months stay in Fl. I added another motor and gearbox, moved switches to outside basement area. Hope this solves my problem.
dwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
John,

Can you put TO MUCH grease in the gear box area.
Does the Vertical shaft centering plate below the gears have any openings to allow grease to pass down on the tube legs for any lubrication?

Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Randy,
Yes on too much grease but only because it runs out so yes to the openings to the screw section. If you feel the screw section is dry I suggest 90 weight from the top or there are others that remove the bottom leg and slide a tube full of grease up to coat the screw section. I just pack the top full in the spring, run them all the way down and up and then let the heat in the summer let some of the grease work it was down.
Hope this answers your question.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #12
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
John,

Thank You much. sounds like 90 weight from the top would be easiest, but this makes me have one more question please. How long is the bottom extention leg secion. In other words, how high off the ground would the solid tube section have to be to get the bottom extention out and lub the screw from the bottom? Any ideas?

Thank You
Randy
Old 04-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #13
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Randy,
The 90 weight is for immediate lubrication only the Axle grease is the long term. If you use 90 weight you will have to remove most the grease so it does get on the screw section. I believe the bottom section will come out if hooked to the truck. Just pull the pin and see. If not you just put it back. I am sorry I did not measure it when it was out. The screw section is about 21 inches long I took a picture of it out when I did my last PM. so the screw jack portion travels about 20 inches. When it gets close go slow and stop as soon as it ratchets because that is gears slipping or chipping.
Hope this helps.
EDIT dropped signature.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #14
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
John,
Thank you. Understand, and knowing the screw secion is only approx. 21 inches is also very great to know in case i'm in situation i wil take extra care not to over extend the jack screw.
I wil see if i can get the lower leg section out and if not maybe find a high curb to drive the truck wheels up on. (Laughing) Just kidding about the curb comment. Drag out the hydraulic jacks and get-er-done.

Thanks Much John

Randy

PS. This is cutting into my study time for my Radio license.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
This is how i have greased the screw section. With the camper on the truck remove the base plate and lower leg. Then with a piece of 3/4" vinyl tubing slide it over the screw and pump grease thought the tubing and it will coat the screw. Save the tubing to use the next time you need to grease the screw. This way I know the rod is covered with grease. Thanks John for helping me and others to understand the fix for these legs.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #16
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Leaseit

John,
Thank you. --snip--

PS. This is cutting into my study time for my Radio license.
Randy,
ALL STOP! If this is cutting into Ham Radio Study time put that first LOL
If you need any help on the ham ticket please ask, I am willing to help.
I am just getting back into CW with a NTS Slow net.
John

Old 04-14-2011, 04:57 AM   #17
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Update...After RVing for over 9 years with 2 different Montanas, I thought I knew a "little" about how they work. I was totally wrong. Paul Everts RV, in Fresno, diagnosed it as a bad motor and transmission. Good Sam Extended Warranty to the rescue. Paul Everts "overnighted" an Atwood motor and transmission and put it in the next day. All is well again.

Well, almost.... Last night, after supper, the DW and I were sitting back enjoying the quiet of the evening when we heard a "thump". A few minutes lates we began to smell something like garbage. A walk outside with a flashlight confirmed our worst fears. Water was pouring out of the belly in the vicinity of the galley tank. We are in a full hook-up with the galley and grey water valves open. No other water was in use when it happened. Nuts, rats, phooey, etc. We will have a Mobile RV Repair guy look at it today since we are out of warranty. If it is a ruptured galley tank, we will take the RV to Camping World for repairs (under the extended warranty). If it is a burst pipe, the extended warrranty will not cover it, so we will have the mobile repairman fix it in place.

More to come later.... My biorythms must be at a low point right now. I also dropped my cell phone yesterday. The screen is trashed. Gotta wait until 10:00 AM for Verizon to open so I can replace it. But, the sun is out, I am vertical and breathing, the DW is her usual sunshiney self. All will be right with the world - soon.

The good news...it is written that trouble shall come to pass - but nowhere is it written that trouble shall come to "stay"! Time for a cup of coffee.